User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
First post

Hey, new to the forum, my name is Tyler 23 years living, 7 years, going on 8, undead, or married if you prefer.

My latest adventure was a journey from the barn to the end of the field, then back past the barn to the house. Up the drive way, through the puddle of water left from the pool overflow, then back to the end of the field and into the barn for storage. Ok, I just got it running no registration or safety yet but it will come.

As some of you may be able to tell from my "Adventure" I am new to motorcycles. I drove many 3 and 4 wheelers, trucks, suv's 4x4's and side x sides. I like fishing and camping trail riding and exploring remote areas. My current bike is a Honda C70 Passport, and it does surprisingly well on light trails. This bike as been in the family for years sitting in a barn before I decided, what the hell, let's get it going. After that I got thinking instead of a 4wheeler, a truck, trailer, registration and insurance for all 3 why not just a bike? My wife likes this idea, and thinks some on/off road trips would be fun.

So as I develop riding skills on my, admittedly super cool over powered monster C70, what kind of bike should I be looking for in the future when I settle down and just require something to get me out with my wife for some fishing camping or trail exploring that can also take on a day trip on Highway that won't be horribly uncomfortable?
I am thinking 250-700cc so I can carry camping gear, about 60lbs, and a folding kayak which packs into usually a duffle sized bag weighing about 60lbs. I doubt I would have both kayak and camping gear at the same time. I don't think this is going to be a tall order, my Honda can carry me and that weight easy enough. Both camping gear and kayak at the same time is pushing it, more so because it becomes hard to balance.
I don't think I will be on any really tough trails, maybe narrow, some mud, logging roads. I was thinking a KLR there are lots around, there is 250 and 650 cc versions. I can start small move up, any other suggestions? Thoughts or opinions?
I know this all probably sounds a bit odd but with the price of gas, insurance, registration, and the constant over legislation, at least in my province, for off road vehicles I would really just like to find something that can get me out to do the things I love.
Anyway thanks for reading, look forward to hearing from you guys and seeing some cool pictures of bikes, trails, adventures, and hilarious mishaps.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,869
Moved from Equipment forum.

Read a little bit what goes where so you can get the most out of the site.

Welcome aboard!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, should have looked around a bit more before jumping to a topic to post in... my apologies.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Freakhead
Burly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Welcome!

Explore the threads as there are all kinds of temptations of bikes to buy. You will start seeing people that have similar interests, hobbies and pursuits with the same types of bike.

Work your skills on the honda while you figure out exactly what bike will suit you and the wifey best.

Your post cracked me up, thanks for sharing your first ride. You should have done a ride report! Pictures!
Freakhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
RobbieO
Banned

Oddometer: 8,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylenol View Post
So as I develop riding skills on my, admittedly super cool over powered monster C70,

Welcome to the asylum!

KLR would be a great first "Adventure" bike!
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,033
I have a KLX250S, (the replacement for the older KLR250) I really like it, but you have to be fairly tall to ride it with any confidence.

Also rode a Yamaha WR250 recently. Wonderful machine, light, lots of spare power for the highway.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,802
Quote:
Hey, new to the forum, my name is Tyler 23 years living, 7 years, going on 8, undead, or married if you prefer.

My latest adventure was a journey from the barn to the end of the field, then back past the barn to the house. Up the drive way, through the puddle of water left from the pool overflow, then back to the end of the field and into the barn for storage. Ok, I just got it running no registration or safety yet but it will come.

As some of you may be able to tell from my "Adventure" I am new to motorcycles. I drove many 3 and 4 wheelers, trucks, suv's 4x4's and side x sides. I like fishing and camping trail riding and exploring remote areas. My current bike is a Honda C70 Passport, and it does surprisingly well on light trails. This bike as been in the family for years sitting in a barn before I decided, what the hell, let's get it going. After that I got thinking instead of a 4wheeler, a truck, trailer, registration and insurance for all 3 why not just a bike? My wife likes this idea, and thinks some on/off road trips would be fun.

So as I develop riding skills on my, admittedly super cool over powered monster C70, what kind of bike should I be looking for in the future when I settle down and just require something to get me out with my wife for some fishing camping or trail exploring that can also take on a day trip on Highway that won't be horribly uncomfortable?
I am thinking 250-700cc so I can carry camping gear, about 60lbs, and a folding kayak which packs into usually a duffle sized bag weighing about 60lbs. I doubt I would have both kayak and camping gear at the same time. I don't think this is going to be a tall order, my Honda can carry me and that weight easy enough. Both camping gear and kayak at the same time is pushing it, more so because it becomes hard to balance.
I don't think I will be on any really tough trails, maybe narrow, some mud, logging roads. I was thinking a KLR there are lots around, there is 250 and 650 cc versions. I can start small move up, any other suggestions? Thoughts or opinions?
I know this all probably sounds a bit odd but with the price of gas, insurance, registration, and the constant over legislation, at least in my province, for off road vehicles I would really just like to find something that can get me out to do the things I love.
Anyway thanks for reading, look forward to hearing from you guys and seeing some cool pictures of bikes, trails, adventures, and hilarious mishaps.
You're in luck.

There are a number of us in the area that get together and ride, usually starting our trips in Bridgetown or Middleton. PM me your digits and we'll put you on speed dial. I may even know of a KLR in your area that can be had - almost "every" adventure ready. (Right, Fred? )

There are also lots of areas in Annapolis, Kings, Digby, and Lunenburg Counties for Dual Sport riding - and some places that will abolutely blow your mind.

Look forward to hearing from you.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

C-Stain
A tour before the snow flies would be good, still going through the process of getting the lost ownership papers from our oh soooo helpful, friendly, and considerate DMV Officers.
I don't think I am ready for a new bike quite yet, the little Honda can still take me by surprise, but I would definitely like to see some in action maybe even get an idea of size. Are you a member of any of the atv clubs in the area? I was talking to a member about joining with a bike, he didn't think it would be an issue. Sorry about posting like this have not figured out the pm's yet.

Yeah I know my question is kind of a hard one, and probably the first thing a new member asks. The KLR is so far my favorite of what I could reasonably afford based on looks and a few reviews. BMW and KTM show up often but that's more money then i am willing to spend, and then I have to think of parts availability. There is a local Honda dealership I have been dealing with but they only seem to have dirt bikes and tourers nothing in the "adventure" or dual sport catagory, at least I didn't see any.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Honda has the CRF250, but I've never ridden one. I do own both a KLR650, and a BMW 650 Dakar, and must admit they are light years apart.

The KLR is a real do-it-all bike, but i would buy an older one if you could. The new one have too much expensive plastic to break.

Also, don't take the Suzuki DR650 off your list. I've ridden one quite a bit, and they are a wonderful little bike. (and very easy to lower)
Old 08-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah I know my question is kind of a hard one, and probably the first thing a new member asks. The KLR is so far my favorite of what I could reasonably afford based on looks and a few reviews. BMW and KTM show up often but that's more money then i am willing to spend, and then I have to think of parts availability. There is a local Honda dealership I have been dealing with but they only seem to have dirt bikes and tourers nothing in the "adventure" or dual sport catagory, at least I didn't see any.
Any bike can be an "adventure" bike. I actually know of a fellow inmate who lives in the Bridgetown area that has an older KLR that he would probably sell.

And my learned friend from Thunder Bay is correct - Honda does carry the CRF250L - which by all anecdotal evidence is one helluva little dual sport machine. Now - the question is, what kind of riding do you actually want to do? You choice of bike will depend on how much "highway" you will be required to do to reach a certain area OR how gnarly of an offroad track you want to ride.

Ideally, if you want to stick close to home for the first while, to get used to riding off road and exploring off the beaten track, a 250-350 cc machine would be plenty. My little KLX250 will buzz along at 110 without too much effort. The KLR is a good starter bike, and a reliable one - and can be had for not too much money.

Some folks tour the world on KLRs. They might just do it a little slower than someone on a GSA - but will probably have less problems and drop if far less too.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

C-Stain - "What kind of driving will you be doing?"
As of now I am close to the homestead, this will probably change to moving to Halifax as my career moves forward, But for now 80kmh on road would be suitable. My looking into bikes was due to a failed attempt to reach Paradise Lake from Roxburry Rd, and Elliot lake in my 04 Grand AM. I just want to get to remote areas for fishing and exploration without a big expensive SUV or truck. I don't know if your familiar with those roads but thats the kind of off roading I am thinking. Would also like to take the 4wheeler trails as well, but some I have been on I don't think an average joe is going to make on a bike, but then again I seen some crazy stuff on you tube.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #12
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
C-Stain - "What kind of driving will you be doing?"
As of now I am close to the homestead, this will probably change to moving to Halifax as my career moves forward, But for now 80kmh on road would be suitable. My looking into bikes was due to a failed attempt to reach Paradise Lake from Roxburry Rd, and Elliot lake in my 04 Grand AM. I just want to get to remote areas for fishing and exploration without a big expensive SUV or truck. I don't know if your familiar with those roads but thats the kind of off roading I am thinking. Would also like to take the 4wheeler trails as well, but some I have been on I don't think an average joe is going to make on a bike, but then again I seen some crazy stuff on you tube.
I'm familiar with those roads...

You'd be more than fine with a 250cc machine - there's actually a 96 Honda CR250 for sale locally right now for less than 2 grand.. It'd make a great first dual sport.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Hey, C-Stain, I have a KLX250 as well. It's a great little bike, but kinda hard on my bum after 300 km or so.

Mine has had the basic engine mods done, and will lift the front wheel in second.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
Hey, C-Stain, I have a KLX250 as well. It's a great little bike, but kinda hard on my bum after 300 km or so.

Mine has had the basic engine mods done, and will lift the front wheel in second.
I figured the seat would be an issue, so I ordered the Seat Concepts Low Seat Foam kit. Should be here next week - along with my luggage racks, skid plate and handguards. I'm looking forward to getting her kitted out and putting some miles on.

Looking at the exhaust, jet kit and K&N filter over the winter.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #15
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
I figured the seat would be an issue, so I ordered the Seat Concepts Low Seat Foam kit. Should be here next week - along with my luggage racks, skid plate and handguards. I'm looking forward to getting her kitted out and putting some miles on.

Looking at the exhaust, jet kit and K&N filter over the winter.
The KDX200 snorkel made quite a difference as well. Plus, you get that sweet induction sound!