ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #16
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tylenol's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Bridgetown Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 112
I am agreeing with the 250cc idea, doing some research now on performance reliability...
For fun I checked out some of the street bike dual sport conversions, the 750 Honda Nighthawk convert was looked good. Got thinking of a Honda Magna done like that, I would try something like that if I had the money and a place to work. Custom stuff is cool
__________________
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw
Tylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer
 
C-Stain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Canoodia, eh?
Oddometer: 5,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylenol View Post
I am agreeing with the 250cc idea, doing some research now on performance reliability...
For fun I checked out some of the street bike dual sport conversions, the 750 Honda Nighthawk convert was looked good. Got thinking of a Honda Magna done like that, I would try something like that if I had the money and a place to work. Custom stuff is cool
Read the "Thumpers" section of the board. There's reviews for every single cylinder bike going...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
C-Stain is wise.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #18
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tylenol's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Bridgetown Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 112
I don't know if anyone is still watching this to answer but here it goes anyway.
My current bike is 29.9 inches seat height. The KLR and the KLX both have a 35 inch seat height. The Suzuki line I have been looking at has a 32.9 650 V-Strom, of which I feel is not a good choice due to price and the weight for the type of riding I have been doing, and the DR's have a 31.9 inch height.
On my current bike I can sit knees slightly bent flat foot on the ground, which is good because I get into some narrow tight turning spots that would have me off my bike if I couldn't put my feet down. If I stand I might have an inch/inch and a half between the seat and the goods. My pants measure a 32 inseam, if that is important.

So to my point, is 35inch seat height going to be too high for me? How far down will bikes squat on average with 180ish lbs on the seat?
If 35 isn't good for me what seat height range should I be looking into?
__________________
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw
Tylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #19
ZZR_Ron
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylenol View Post
I don't know if anyone is still watching this to answer but here it goes anyway.
My current bike is 29.9 inches seat height. The KLR and the KLX both have a 35 inch seat height. The Suzuki line I have been looking at has a 32.9 650 V-Strom, of which I feel is not a good choice due to price and the weight for the type of riding I have been doing, and the DR's have a 31.9 inch height.
On my current bike I can sit knees slightly bent flat foot on the ground, which is good because I get into some narrow tight turning spots that would have me off my bike if I couldn't put my feet down. If I stand I might have an inch/inch and a half between the seat and the goods. My pants measure a 32 inseam, if that is important.

So to my point, is 35inch seat height going to be too high for me? How far down will bikes squat on average with 180ish lbs on the seat?
If 35 isn't good for me what seat height range should I be looking into?
I have Kouba Lowering Links on my 2006 KLX. I can flat foot it, with a 32" inseam. I think the newer ones may be a little lower in stock form.
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #20
McJamie
STROMINATOR
 
McJamie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylenol View Post
I don't know if anyone is still watching this to answer but here it goes anyway.
My current bike is 29.9 inches seat height. The KLR and the KLX both have a 35 inch seat height. The Suzuki line I have been looking at has a 32.9 650 V-Strom, of which I feel is not a good choice due to price and the weight for the type of riding I have been doing, and the DR's have a 31.9 inch height.
On my current bike I can sit knees slightly bent flat foot on the ground, which is good because I get into some narrow tight turning spots that would have me off my bike if I couldn't put my feet down. If I stand I might have an inch/inch and a half between the seat and the goods. My pants measure a 32 inseam, if that is important.

So to my point, is 35inch seat height going to be too high for me? How far down will bikes squat on average with 180ish lbs on the seat?
If 35 isn't good for me what seat height range should I be looking into?
Remember, you only really need one foot down the majority of the time, and a taller seat usually means more legroom ( important on a long ride), and more ground clearance ( also important on any kind of crappy surface).
I don't want to sound like I'm taking a cheap shot at him, but RobbieO knows something about tall seats and the vertically challenged. He might be of some help to you here.
I think the DR is a good choice. It's a sturdy, easy to ride bike, lots of good used ones around, and plenty of aftermarket support. On a long street ride, I'd probably prefer a KLR for it's wind protection if nothing else, but overall the DR would be easier to handle. A little better off road.
__________________
If you get far enough away, you'll be on your way home.
Piss off, I'm in my Happy place.
McJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tylenol's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Bridgetown Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
Remember, you only really need one foot down the majority of the time, and a taller seat usually means more legroom ( important on a long ride), and more ground clearance ( also important on any kind of crappy surface).
I see your point, I didn't consider leg room, and I have been finding that I don't nearly require my feet down as often as I did back in June. My bike being 30+- inches gives it no ground clearance to speak of so I find I am "walking" it around or over obstacles I wouldn't need to with a taller bike, but I also havent even been needing to do that much either. To the bikes credit it was never built to go "off road".

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
I don't want to sound like I'm taking a cheap shot at him, but RobbieO knows something about tall seats and the vertically challenged. He might be of some help to you here.
I am the youngest of the first 5 cousins born, I am use to cheap shots ;) I don't recall RobbieO but I did make my way to the "we are short girls..." thread and got a lot of good advice, pointers, and suggestions. I also found that there are some really short persons driving some pretty tall bikes. It made me feel like I was being a Nancy about the whole height thing lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
I think the DR is a good choice. It's a sturdy, easy to ride bike, lots of good used ones around, and plenty of aftermarket support. On a long street ride, I'd probably prefer a KLR for it's wind protection if nothing else, but overall the DR would be easier to handle. A little better off road.
I was thinking the same thing about the DR, and there are lots of aftermarket options for wind protection and seats for longer trips, and there are some around for a good price. I like the KLR's looks more, IMO its a nicer "looking" bike. However, its what 100 or so pounds heavier then the DR? I don't know the exact numbers but there is a significant difference. The DR is oil cooled as opposed to liquid and it looks easier to field dress if there was a problem. Hearing it is easy to ride really does make me feel better, knowing it can be lowered easy is another plus, knowing that people my height ride them stock no problem is even better.
A DR is probably going to be my too me from me easter present, with winter coming I wont be buying a bike now, unless it was an amazing deal that needed some work.
__________________
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw
Tylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #22
McJamie
STROMINATOR
 
McJamie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylenol View Post
I see your point, I didn't consider leg room, and I have been finding that I don't nearly require my feet down as often as I did back in June. My bike being 30+- inches gives it no ground clearance to speak of so I find I am "walking" it around or over obstacles I wouldn't need to with a taller bike, but I also havent even been needing to do that much either. To the bikes credit it was never built to go "off road".



I am the youngest of the first 5 cousins born, I am use to cheap shots ;) I don't recall RobbieO but I did make my way to the "we are short girls..." thread and got a lot of good advice, pointers, and suggestions. I also found that there are some really short persons driving some pretty tall bikes. It made me feel like I was being a Nancy about the whole height thing lol



I was thinking the same thing about the DR, and there are lots of aftermarket options for wind protection and seats for longer trips, and there are some around for a good price. I like the KLR's looks more, IMO its a nicer "looking" bike. However, its what 100 or so pounds heavier then the DR? I don't know the exact numbers but there is a significant difference. The DR is oil cooled as opposed to liquid and it looks easier to field dress if there was a problem. Hearing it is easy to ride really does make me feel better, knowing it can be lowered easy is another plus, knowing that people my height ride them stock no problem is even better.
A DR is probably going to be my too me from me easter present, with winter coming I wont be buying a bike now, unless it was an amazing deal that needed some work.
I think fully fuelled, the KLR is about 40lbs heavier than the DR. Off -road, it feels like more.

RobbieO was the 5th post in this thread.



Good hunting
__________________
If you get far enough away, you'll be on your way home.
Piss off, I'm in my Happy place.
McJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #23
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tylenol's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Bridgetown Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
I think fully fuelled, the KLR is about 40lbs heavier than the DR. Off -road, it feels like more.

RobbieO was the 5th post in this thread.



Good hunting
Not to be a butt, but I double checked the dry weight numbers, the DR comes in at 366lbs and the KLR 432lbs. So she is a bit heftier then 40lbs, I would think the gap would widen with fuel because the KLR holds more I think. What I did find surprising is that the 400cc suzukies don't seem too much lighter then the 650.
On a completely different note; I think I found a gem of a bike, 1988 or 89 Honda NX125, I have never seen one before and I found it to be quite nice looking for an 80's model. The reviews wernt bad either
__________________
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw
Tylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #24
Shirker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: S/Wet Coast
Oddometer: 449
I started on a Suzuki GS500, as did my son; excellent lower weight bike which will grow with you for a fair bit. My son did 18,000 kms his first year, so it can do long runs, but is still good around town.
If it starts to tip in the car park, you can haul it back upright with ease plus low saddle height and it's good on gas and insurance.
Shirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #25
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tylenol's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Bridgetown Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirker View Post
I started on a Suzuki GS500, as did my son; excellent lower weight bike which will grow with you for a fair bit. My son did 18,000 kms his first year, so it can do long runs, but is still good around town.
If it starts to tip in the car park, you can haul it back upright with ease plus low saddle height and it's good on gas and insurance.
Sounds like a winner what year GS?, a GS500 is a street bike is it not? Insurance been aware of it but have not really thought about it too much, I hope dual sports/adventure tourers don't rank too high.
__________________
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw
Tylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #26
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver
 
doc4216's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Alameda for now
Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylenol View Post
Hey, new to the forum, my name is Tyler 23 years living, 7 years, going on 8, undead, or married if you prefer.
Welcome! Great first post! Is it common to get married at 16 in NS? Very intrigued Have a great day and good luck deciding! I'm on my fifth bike and still don't think it's the one I'm going to keep for more than a couple years!
__________________
"A straight road never made a skilled rider"
'13 Tiger 800 Roadie
doc4216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #27
Drif10
Accredited Jackass
 
Drif10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Gates of Moscow
Oddometer: 46,037
If you can wrench, then maybe look at adventurizing an older standard bike.

A Honda Ascot can be had for cheap. It came in 2 versions: The FT, which was a single, and the VT, a twin. I'd do the VT. Graft a dirt bike front end on it (usually simple change of bearings if you choose right), and since it's has twin shocks rear, longer shocks can be had easily from a junker, and cheap too.

That's just one option, and keeps the seat height down, but will be a heavier bike than a purpose built DP bike.

A DR350 can be had cheap, set of Kouba links gets the seat height good.


Lots more choices too. Hook up with the guys for a coffee, and they'll be happy to help out, that c-stain loves to talk....
__________________
I guess your get up and go needs a coffee. - Drif5
Drif10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #28
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tylenol's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Bridgetown Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4216 View Post
Welcome! Great first post! Is it common to get married at 16 in NS? Very intrigued Have a great day and good luck deciding! I'm on my fifth bike and still don't think it's the one I'm going to keep for more than a couple years!
lol, I got married at 23yrs old, and have been undead, aka married, for the last 7 years. I can see how it could be confusing the way I written it but the 7 was suppose to be added to 30, not subtracted. I am on my first planning on my second, I got it from my wife it use to be hers when she was a teenager.
__________________
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw
Tylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #29
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tylenol's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Bridgetown Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
If you can wrench, then maybe look at adventurizing an older standard bike.

A Honda Ascot can be had for cheap. It came in 2 versions: The FT, which was a single, and the VT, a twin. I'd do the VT. Graft a dirt bike front end on it (usually simple change of bearings if you choose right), and since it's has twin shocks rear, longer shocks can be had easily from a junker, and cheap too.

That's just one option, and keeps the seat height down, but will be a heavier bike than a purpose built DP bike.

A DR350 can be had cheap, set of Kouba links gets the seat height good.


Lots more choices too. Hook up with the guys for a coffee, and they'll be happy to help out, that c-stain loves to talk....
I can wrench on things, can't weld though. I never had a welder or someone willing to show me how when I was young. I like the idea of converting an old street bike to a adventure bike. Seen a Nighthawk done up, a GS500 ( i searched this after Shirker's post) that looked pretty good. I am the kind of person that likes to be comfortable while driving, and the street bike idea has that going for it. I am going to have to do some searches on an Ascot now :)
__________________
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw
Tylenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #30
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver
 
doc4216's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Alameda for now
Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylenol View Post
lol, I got married at 23yrs old, and have been undead, aka married, for the last 7 years. I can see how it could be confusing the way I written it but the 7 was suppose to be added to 30, not subtracted. I am on my first planning on my second, I got it from my wife it use to be hers when she was a teenager.
Lol!!! That makes so much more sense now about your age! I would say getting your wife's older barn ride and fixing it up is a great way to start your riding experience. Good luck!
__________________
"A straight road never made a skilled rider"
'13 Tiger 800 Roadie
doc4216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014