Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #31
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4216 View Post
Lol!!! That makes so much more sense now about your age! I would say getting your wife's older barn ride and fixing it up is a great way to start your riding experience. Good luck!
I got it running, needs some bits for road safety mirrors and a legshield. New tires, respoked rims, brakes were fine, not much rust. The biggest issue is the carb it runs rich, I got a carb kit for it will be getting that in soon. Also got some tools so over the winter I can remove some rust and add some paint.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #32
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylenol View Post
lol, I got married at 23yrs old, and have been undead, aka married, for the last 7 years. I can see how it could be confusing the way I written it but the 7 was suppose to be added to 30, not subtracted. I am on my first planning on my second, I got it from my wife it use to be hers when she was a teenager.

BRUDDAH!

Hey man, I'm Nate. Don't ride with Nate...Just don't.

C-Stain is a sack of crap, don't listen to him. He has brittle legs...at least he does from trying to watch & learn from following me through the woods.

seriously though, We have a decent Clicque (click? Klik?) of guys that we ride with, mostly around the valley...sucks for me being down here on the other shore, but you can get across this spit of land in about an hour and half, really. C-stain lives in Middleton, FredGreen lives in bridgetown/hampton, SlowPhil lives in Kingston? Kingsport? something like that. Yellowknife lives in Berwick...who am I forgetting...Antennas lives in Digbyville...lots of good guys around to ride with...just don't ride with Nate...at least don't try to catch me.

I'm 30 as well...been married for 5 years. We should fish sometime. do you like whiskey and cigars?

check out my ride report in my sigline

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #33
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
BRUDDAH!

Hey man, I'm Nate. Don't ride with Nate...Just don't.

C-Stain is a sack of crap, don't listen to him. He has brittle legs...at least he does from trying to watch & learn from following me through the woods.

seriously though, We have a decent Clicque (click? Klik?) of guys that we ride with, mostly around the valley...sucks for me being down here on the other shore, but you can get across this spit of land in about an hour and half, really. C-stain lives in Middleton, FredGreen lives in bridgetown/hampton, SlowPhil lives in Kingston? Kingsport? something like that. Yellowknife lives in Berwick...who am I forgetting...Antennas lives in Digbyville...lots of good guys around to ride with...just don't ride with Nate...at least don't try to catch me.

I'm 30 as well...been married for 5 years. We should fish sometime. do you like whiskey and cigars?

check out my ride report in my sigline
Fishing is what got me started, I bought a Chevy cruze, turns out they are not very good off road. A truck, trailer and atv were too much to buy and insure. while Groningen about it my wife said why not use my bike. So I got to tinkering, by the time I got it running and the paperwork done for the papers it was really late into the season.
I like cigars, Canadian Club, Crown Royal, and Glenfedich usually on the rocks, don't do shots. I enjoy a good dark beer too. I am also looking into a folding or inflatable kayak to haul around on the bike to fish from. I would love to get out on a tour but I am not road legal yet, not even trail legal but I go for short jonts anyway. Well I did until some neighbors started having issues with a kid, assuming, on a loud dirt bike riding around with, I am told, no helmet so the fuzz has been a little thicker in nictaux. since my bike is red I figured fly with the crows...
Old 09-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #34
CallMeBoog
Done

Nice.

I got one of these:

Folds up in to this:

Works alright, a little unwieldy to ride while wearing, but I put the pontoons in the panniers, and then strap all the other shit down on the racks. It's nice to have way out in the woods, get past the mud and the weeds, super silent.

Finally another whiskey drinker. I'll drink anything as long as it isn't rum or vodka, and won't make me blind...for long.

We'll have to get out for a ride or to cast a line. I like to flyfish down at squirreltown - not too many people go back there. This would be a good time of year, early in the morning, as the flies are taking their time to come out being a little chilly...and if the only fly that's over the water is yours... . lots of large-ish brookies in there.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #35
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I seen something similar at Canadian tire, my buddy thought I should get one instead of a kayak, but he doesn't like a boat that isn't flat bottomed and wide. He can't swim well and is a bit of a hydrophobic. Water doesn't bother me I use to lifeguard, and as a kid I took the canoeing course and have plenty of hours in narrow hulled boats. I have to admit though those rigs look comfortable and quite stable.
I would be game for a fishing trip out squirrel town way, I have not done much fishing on the south side of the valley so it will be all new to me.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #36
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nate have you Cstain fred phil antennas of yellowknife do any riding down the Canadian pacific rail bed? It runs near my house I went down it towards Middleton but got cut off just after a 101 crossing where a big swamp overflow onto it. I was on my mountain bike so I didn't try to drive through it. Anyway just wondering if you guys ever went down the trail and might know if it's reasonably passable and how far you can get. It's an unregistered trail so there are no restrictions on it yet, I only seen a tractor and a backhoe on it when I went down it.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:16 AM   #37
CallMeBoog
Done

Quote:
I seen something similar at Canadian tire, my buddy thought I should get one instead of a kayak, but he doesn't like a boat that isn't flat bottomed and wide. He can't swim well and is a bit of a hydrophobic. Water doesn't bother me I use to lifeguard, and as a kid I took the canoeing course and have plenty of hours in narrow hulled boats. I have to admit though those rigs look comfortable and quite stable.
I would be game for a fishing trip out squirrel town way, I have not done much fishing on the south side of the valley so it will be all new to me.
I have sea kayaks...and a kayak carrier on the roof of my SUV. My wife's Kayak is same as mine and could be available for use if we were to take the cage in somewhere and fish. 15 footers, so not using that in a brook, but sucker lake near springfield has rainbow in it apparently.

The pontoon boat is ridiculous in the good way. I've not attached the seat before, and put a piece of plywood on top. once I got to where I wanted to fish, I would stand on it. It's 8 feet long, and 8 feet wide. crazy stable.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #38
CallMeBoog
Done

Quote:
Nate have you Cstain fred phil antennas of yellowknife do any riding down the Canadian pacific rail bed? It runs near my house I went down it towards Middleton but got cut off just after a 101 crossing where a big swamp overflow onto it. I was on my mountain bike so I didn't try to drive through it. Anyway just wondering if you guys ever went down the trail and might know if it's reasonably passable and how far you can get. It's an unregistered trail so there are no restrictions on it yet, I only seen a tractor and a backhoe on it when I went down it.
yep. Rail bed is fun to get places, but it can be boring.

[steps on soapbox]

It is illegal for a blue plated vehicle to operate on the railbed. Red plated, or 'off highway' vehicles can ride the railbed to their heart's content, because when they register their plate, they pay a 'trail tax', allowing them the right to use the decomissioned railbed, same as snowmobiles. Blue plates don't pay that tax, so they are basically jumping the wicket at the trainstation, riding for free, and you could be ticketed. Now there is an organization called NSORRA (get a membership), which is willing to fight for this idiocy to be overturned for us, which are capable of on and off highway use - if we were able to pay this trail tax, I would. Given that, I ride with some RCMP officers...on the railbed...they say if you get hassled by DNR (which has a no-chase policy...just saying ), demand they write you a ticket right there on the spot, as it would never stand up in court...we just don't have precident for that yet - it hasn't happened. DNR has hassled people, and acted like big meanies, but no tickets or fines were levied.

Your Mileage May Vary

[End Soapbox]

Old 10-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #39
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
yep. Rail bed is fun to get places, but it can be boring.

[steps on soapbox]

It is illegal for a blue plated vehicle to operate on the railbed. Red plated, or 'off highway' vehicles can ride the railbed to their heart's content, because when they register their plate, they pay a 'trail tax', allowing them the right to use the decomissioned railbed, same as snowmobiles. Blue plates don't pay that tax, so they are basically jumping the wicket at the trainstation, riding for free, and you could be ticketed. Now there is an organization called NSORRA (get a membership), which is willing to fight for this idiocy to be overturned for us, which are capable of on and off highway use - if we were able to pay this trail tax, I would. Given that, I ride with some RCMP officers...on the railbed...they say if you get hassled by DNR (which has a no-chase policy...just saying ), demand they write you a ticket right there on the spot, as it would never stand up in court...we just don't have precident for that yet - it hasn't happened. DNR has hassled people, and acted like big meanies, but no tickets or fines were levied.

Your Mileage May Vary

[End Soapbox]
The specific railbed I am mentioning is not actually a registered trail, and may not be under the same rules. There are no gates, no signs indicating prohibited vehicles, all it says is abandoned railbed structures may not be safe, use at own risk. I biked some of it and from what I can see sections are maintained only by farmers and loggers who use stretches of it to access property. I saw an ATV, a Tractor, an Excavator, and what once might have been a Ford 1/4 ton from the 70's modified into a tractor. I asked one of my uncles about it and he said it should be good straight through to Saunders Rd but after that he didn't know, he also warned me that Farmers may have fenced across it where it has not been used much in years so be careful, I was just taking to him today about it, I plan on taking another ride through there as well in the near future.

I spoke to the president of an ATV club down this way about trail use and she said they had no problem making me an associate member with a dual sport bike and giving me a trail pass. She also went on to say that they don't even ask about the make or model of the vehicle they just ask for the VIN for the pass so they wouldn't know if I was running an ATV snowmobile or bike and they don't really care. I was also told by a member of the DMV that I should be able to get a pass from DNR. Since I have not actually tried to get this done yet I cannot speak to its validity at this time. However, when I do try and it turns out to be an issue then I will do what I always do write the MLA and basically say WTF is going on!!

I dont see any reason why; walkers, Joggers, ATV's, Bikers, Gas powered bikers, horseback riders, and snowmobiles can't all use the trails. All these things I do on the trails to some degree, maybe not horseback any more but I have and am fully aware that with a little mutual respect and common sense all these things can be done.

As for DNR man I got a story... I was working out in Weymouth and I had a DNR Enforcement Officer block off my car and demand I tell him what we were doing. I told him we were working with NS Power to map the Distribution grid, he responded with oh ok thought you were pouching deer. Really?! Yes I am pouching deer in a bright red nissan sentra with a 2 yellow hazard lights blinking in my back window with NS Power Signs all over the car, yeah man you caught us!! lol
In a Nissan Sentra, where would I put the deer after I caught it? Crazy, he scared my co worker the way he pulled up behind us. I reported it and my boss at the time didn't believe me at first, he thought I was joking. My co worker had to say no it happened for real.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #40
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hello again,
I was reading the drivers handbook for nova scotia chapter 8 motorcycles and I was shocked to find no mention of age limits for motorcycle passengers. Did some googling and didn't find anything. So is their a weight or age restriction for motorcycle passengers in NS? Or do they just have to be able to use the foot pegs regardless of age, as stipulated in the handbook?

I don't want to hear any smack talk about putting children on motorcycles, I am just trying to figure out when I will be legally allowed to introduce them to motorcycles, they are getting interested and the "when your older" answer isn't suiting my oldest anymore ;). I think I was 11 or 12 my first ride as a passenger and 22 my first operation, but I am a bit of a Nancy lol.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #41
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 4,996
Quote:
Hello again,
I was reading the drivers handbook for nova scotia chapter 8 motorcycles and I was shocked to find no mention of age limits for motorcycle passengers. Did some googling and didn't find anything. So is their a weight or age restriction for motorcycle passengers in NS? Or do they just have to be able to use the foot pegs regardless of age, as stipulated in the handbook?

I don't want to hear any smack talk about putting children on motorcycles, I am just trying to figure out when I will be legally allowed to introduce them to motorcycles, they are getting interested and the "when your older" answer isn't suiting my oldest anymore ;). I think I was 11 or 12 my first ride as a passenger and 22 my first operation, but I am a bit of a Nancy lol.
My son is six and he's been riding with me since he was four. While he can't reach the pegs on the Beemer, he can on the KLX. W use a BackRider Belt harness system. He has a tendency to fall asleep so the harness keeps him attached to me at all times. (And no comments about what I do either. It's a decision that my wife and I arrived at together)

It allows me to ride more, gives us quality time together and he gets to see the world from a different perspective. Next year, we're going to travel a little further afield and do some overnight camping.

It's something we're both looking forward to.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #42
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My 2 are 6 and 4, that belt is perfect for what I have in mind, have you used it off road? Actually I should buy that for my aunt, the last trip she and her husband took she couldn't stay awake so they tied her to the bike lol. What makes it more interesting is the trip through customs or the border police people, apparently they didn't say a thing about it.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #43
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 4,996
Quote:
My 2 are 6 and 4, that belt is perfect for what I have in mind, have you used it off road? Actually I should buy that for my aunt, the last trip she and her husband took she couldn't stay awake so they tied her to the bike lol. What makes it more interesting is the trip through customs or the border police people, apparently they didn't say a thing about it.
We've used it on gravel roads and fire roads, but that's it. I can't off road with him because a.) my skills aren't there to ride off road two up and b.) He's attached to me so it makes it impossible to stand up.

This is where we got it:

http://www.riderzragz.com

There's a rep in Nictaux and we bought direct from him.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #44
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
We've used it on gravel roads and fire roads, but that's it. I can't off road with him because a.) my skills aren't there to ride off road two up and b.) He's attached to me so it makes it impossible to stand up.

This is where we got it:

http://www.riderzragz.com

There's a rep in Nictaux and we bought direct from him.
Hey C, a) is a misstatement, your skills aren't there to ride off road one up
bwahahaha

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #45
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphil View Post
Hey C, a) is a misstatement, your skills aren't there to ride off road one up
bwahahaha