Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #46
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Hey, I was doing some dreaming on buying a brand new Tourer haha, anyway I cam across some terms on some of the websites I didn't understand and google didn't help.
What does RTS, RTW, DCT, mean in the adventure riding culture? I was looking at reviews on the CB500X, NC700X, Wee-Strom, Transalp, NX150, and NX650. I know some of these are not new, and they are mostly hondas so maybe they were industry terms but I could not figure it them out.

Cheers
Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #47
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
looks like you have a good selection of bikes, find what fits you. I ride a strom, I love it but it lacks some luster if you want to spend more time on gravel roads. i don't recognize 2 of those but i bet i will when someone else chimes in... but RTW = Round the world.

If you are looking for a bike in which you plan on spending lots of miles on the highway, or lots of miles in the seat i would suggest sticking to the larger 650-700 size. the NC700 looks like a fun bike. best way to decide is head to the dealership and take a test ride!
Cody1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #48
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got to test drive an 88 NX125 yesterday, it rides nice for an old bike. The new Hondas are way outside of my price range so there wouldn't be much of a point asking for a test drive. I want to turn the NX125 into an NX650 hehe...
Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #49
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylenol View Post
Got to test drive an 88 NX125 yesterday, it rides nice for an old bike. The new Hondas are way outside of my price range so there wouldn't be much of a point asking for a test drive. I want to turn the NX125 into an NX650 hehe...
sounds like a lot of work. one thing i have learned is less time in the shop = more time riding. what is your budget? You can pick up a used KLR for a steal usually, i have seen fully farkeled 09's for under 4g. seems to be a few KLX250's kicking around to.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #50
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody1771 View Post
sounds like a lot of work. one thing i have learned is less time in the shop = more time riding. what is your budget? You can pick up a used KLR for a steal usually, i have seen fully farkeled 09's for under 4g. seems to be a few KLX250's kicking around to.
My budget is if someone in the family needs a PC or something electronical fixed that they are willing to trade a beat up POS for that hasn't run in the last 10 years. At the moment I dont have much cash, work has been scarce so I have been looking out west. I have a bike, it works fine and is ready to go but I am having issues getting the papers. Hopefully halifax will call the DMV back and say everything is ok, and the back taxes are not outrageous.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #51
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got it!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #52
Cody1771
Gnarly Adventurer

haha right one! that thing looks like fun!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #53
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's an impressive little rig for only 70cc and 6.5hp but it does the job, she needs a safety now and then I can get driving.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #54
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
It's an impressive little rig for only 70cc and 6.5hp but it does the job, she needs a safety now and then I can get driving.
There are lots of people who done long distance trips, including RTW tours on those rigs. You cannot kill them, but you can't be in much of a hurry either. I'm not sure there's a better bike for the cottage. Anyone can ride it and it's unbreakable.

I'm not sure if you have picked something else, or you are still shopping, etc..., but I have been riding my 250 Sherpa for about a year and a half now, and I am quite convinced it might be one of the best lightweight dual sport bikes ever made. Fairly low seat height, and very easy to ride. Not tons of them around, but if you find a decent one, you want be disappointed. I can't think of any reason to ever part with mine.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #55
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
There are lots of people who done long distance trips, including RTW tours on those rigs. You cannot kill them, but you can't be in much of a hurry either. I'm not sure there's a better bike for the cottage. Anyone can ride it and it's unbreakable.

I'm not sure if you have picked something else, or you are still shopping, etc..., but I have been riding my 250 Sherpa for about a year and a half now, and I am quite convinced it might be one of the best lightweight dual sport bikes ever made. Fairly low seat height, and very easy to ride. Not tons of them around, but if you find a decent one, you want be disappointed. I can't think of any reason to ever part with mine.

I probably mentioned it but I didn't buy this bike it was my wife's when she was a teenager, used and abused by her and her bother if half the embellishments in the stories are true lol. I am still looking for something bigger, did see a sherpa but it was in the 1500 range, and a 400$ Ascot or 80's CB I was considering but I am squeamish about spending my savings when I am between contracts and it seems to be a bad time to be working contracts right now. Always planned on getting the C70 on the pavement, she has 7000km right now and I got it running pretty good. Start Up she seems stinky with a pale white smoke with a sulfer smell, don't know what that is but it got a lot better when I redid the fuel lines, filters, and rebuilt the carb. Maybe I am leaving the choke on too long after start up, dunno.
I am thinking a KLR, DR, or NX would be a good next step but I am never letting the honda go, too much history and I have 2 girls who would love it after I move on to a bigger machine.
Damn tuff too, after sitting for 2 years all I did to get it to run was give it some fresh gas
Old 10-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #56
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
I am never letting the honda go
Never sell that bike! I've regretted every bike I ever sold, and none as cool as that one.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #57
Tylenol OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
Never sell that bike! I've regretted every bike I ever sold, and none as cool as that one.
There is only one person I will give it to, other then her it's staying with me.