ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What did the Osos do after Lica's hit in Hell's Gate?
Hit the 911 button on Lica's spot and waited for search and rescue 8 2.48%
Called Radek's cop buddy and got a TOY 4x4 extraction 17 5.28%
What's the problem? He rode out with one hand and no throttle - OSO!!! 70 21.74%
With the engineering flow chart, WD-40 and duct tape - trail repair, baby! 112 34.78%
Flagged down a tour jeep and put the bike in the back with some French tourists 31 9.63%
This is just a ploy to buy time and still act like you're working on the report, isn't it? 107 33.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #181
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post

Going up Pearl Pass was awesome!
What a kickass ride! So much fun.
Radek shot some nice video - he’s so cool about filming us.

Matt and I want to thank Radek for being so patient.
We ride at a decent pace, but we’re slower than he is.
Radek always sacrifices his own ride to get footage of us. Gracias, Oso Negro!
That video turned out great! Nice editing.
BTW, I'm not sacrificing anything because I love doing close follow cam. It makes it so much more exciting trying to follow someone closely. Keeping in mind that you first don't want to hit the bike you're following and also crash yourself, everything else becomes gnarly. Essentially you have to try to decelerate quicker and accelerate quicker in order to stay close. Also you can't just "follow" someone as they are blocking your view so you have to continually try to pick the alternate line so you can see clear in front. You also agree that the lead bike can and should cut you off to pick the better line so you have to watch for that.
Also you spend a lot of time in the left lane which requires you to be extra careful on corners in order to dodge the oncoming traffic.

But it's getting hard to do close follow cam because everyone in this crew is so fast. We basically now agree that the lead tones it down a bit so the follow guy at his fastest can keep up close.

Oh and you forgot the quote from the guy in Gunnison.
Quote:
"I'm a ISDE champion so you should listen to me cause I know what I'm talking about. There is no way you can ride those bikes through Pearl pass"
LOL - how about we try it then 2 up and in the rain!
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #182
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
The ISDE shop owner was probably no other than Fritz Kadlec, who really was a member of the USA ISDE trophy team back in the 80's. He is still blistering fast on a off road motorcycle. I have shared many miles of single track with him on a few different rides. He owns the Husaberg shop in Gunnison and is a very cool dude.

He was just trying to look out for you. You should have shown him the video of Schofield uphill in the dark. He probably would have snuck away from the shop and gone riding with ya'll!
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #183
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburkat View Post
That video turned out great! Nice editing.
BTW, I'm not sacrificing anything because I love doing close follow cam. It makes it so much more exciting trying to follow someone closely. Keeping in mind that you first don't want to hit the bike you're following and also crash yourself, everything else becomes gnarly. Essentially you have to try to decelerate quicker and accelerate quicker in order to stay close. Also you can't just "follow" someone as they are blocking your view so you have to continually try to pick the alternate line so you can see clear in front. You also agree that the lead bike can and should cut you off to pick the better line so you have to watch for that.
Also you spend a lot of time in the left lane which requires you to be extra careful on corners in order to dodge the oncoming traffic.

But it's getting hard to do close follow cam because everyone in this crew is so fast. We basically now agree that the lead tones it down a bit so the follow guy at his fastest can keep up close.

Oh and you forgot the quote from the guy in Gunnison.
Quote:
"I'm a ISDE champion so you should listen to me cause I know what I'm talking about. There is no way you can ride those bikes through Pearl pass"
LOL - how about we try it then 2 up and in the rain!
Hola, Radek!

Glad you liked the video - it captured the ride pretty well, eh?
So freakin' fun!!

Thanks for clearing things up - it always looks like you're having fun filming, I'm happy you are!

Heh, yeah, I didn't get too into the shop guy's comment on purpose...(see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
The ISDE shop owner was probably no other than Fritz Kadlec, who really was a member of the USA ISDE trophy team back in the 80's. He is still blistering fast on a off road motorcycle. I have shared many miles of single track with him on a few different rides. He owns the Husaberg shop in Gunnison and is a very cool dude.

He was just trying to look out for you. You should have shown him the video of Schofield uphill in the dark. He probably would have snuck away from the shop and gone riding with ya'll!

Hi Johnf3,
Yes, that was Fritz. We met him later. He obviously knows his stuff.

I totally understand that locals get tired of flatland visitors coming to CO and getting into jams...
Fritz has probably seen his share of the resulting carnage and gets an earful afterwards -
"Why didn't anyone tell us that Pearl Pass was rocky??" etc...

You're right, he had no idea what kind of riders we were, and was trying to do us a favor.
Normal people don't want to trash their bikes.

Unfortunately, statements like "you can't do that on those bikes" are pure catnip for our group.
Or, should I say, "honey."

Nothing makes this group more excited than hearing "NO big bikes"

It was all in good fun.

And, yes - he did offer to ride with us after we told him we did Pearl...

Thanks for checking in!

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #184
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpep View Post
Wow , what a top notch ride report, thanks for sharing it.
I notice most of the 990's are not using crash bars and are on tipped over a lot .
Do they ever damage the under side of there fuel tanks etc. ? I use Crash Bars on my 990 but they are a pain to remove/install for maintenance etc. Not to mention a trail side repair.
Thanks in advance.

Hey bpep!
Wow, a member since 2007 and this is only your 2nd post!
I'm honored

You're right - out of the 6 bikes, matt and I are the only ones who still have crashbars.
We used to think they were more important, but at this point we only keep them on because they hold our bags:

we have important things in those bags (toilet paper, baby wipes, the amsteel tow line, spare tube, etc...)!
The bags get trashed whenever we do singletrack, but they are so useful.

Matt would consider taking the bags and bars off, but then we have to find new homes for everything.

I personally like the crashbars because they give me something to grab onto when I'm pulling on a 990.
I use ours all the time - in mud, rocks, sand...
When we are with Radek, for instance, I have a hard time finding someplace to pull from (that won't get my hand squashed).
But, I think I'm the only one short enough to use them like that.

Matt agrees that the bars are a huge hassle for maintenance, but he says, "trail repairs? oh, we don't do those..."
Obviously, he's just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by licascurtu View Post
Just bought a new 990 baja and first thing I did to it was side stand relocate and second removed the shinny orange crashbars. You are right....they are a pain to take off after some crushes and I dropped my old bike very hard, without them and nothing happened... It just added character to the bike ;)

LOTS of character! I took this on Day 5...

Quote:
Originally Posted by licascurtu View Post
Kelly you are doing such a good job with the report I'm on it like Bartek on a taco and so is my Mom and my friends. I guess when I try to explain them how it was I get too exited and I start screaming ;) Now they understand for the first time what happened. Thanks so much and I hope we'll put a ride together in British Columbia soon. I know some places :
Thanks, Lica!
I'm so happy that you're enjoying the report! I have so many fun photos of you, and you enliven so many videos - Yaaaaah!! Oso!!!

It's great that your mom and friends (and I especially hope, Camelia) can see exactly what you've been up to when you're in the dirt!

Oh, yeah - a Oso Loco BC version would be frickin' AWESOME!!!
we got a taste last summer and loved BC!

Old 09-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #185
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,935
Thumb

Great report LW! I'm having a blast following along. The videos are awesome, but they scare me... You guys are crazy!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #186
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
That video of Pearl Pass was great.. its fun watching you guys ride 2 up without luggage. Matt loved that climb and you guys where FLYING !

many of the people on here that read these reports have no idea how fast you 2 ride together the videos just don't show the speed you carry in the corners... I feel lucky to have ridden with you guys

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #187
fooswolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Schofield pass two-up in the dark the hard way after rain, you guys are barking Loonbats.
You should have titled the report the Revenge of OSO Stupid, ha ha.
The videos and the ride report are wanderful as always.

After watching those videos, I feel lucky not to have ridden with you guys,

Dan
fooswolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #188
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
So, it's better to go up in the dark because then you can't see the really bad stuff. Got it.
That is one spooky video, Kelly. You all are very talented riders.
Haha - you got it dustyrider - what you can't see, can't hurt you.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post

awesome riding. awesome writing. awesome photographs.

always inspired by a WAN report. make WAN reports your favorite!
Thank you, loph917!

Oh, my photos are worse than ever this year (so maybe you like Radek or Lica's pics )
The lens of my camera is soooo scratched up - too many crashes in sand and mud...
and "cleaning" the lens with my dirty gloved finger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
That video is absolutely crazy. 2up at night through that, Matt is
a superhuman.
Heh, I thought we covered that with the whole mesh underwear thing (oldtrucks)...

you know I'm just recycling this since I took the time to upload it :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Wow! That was some pretty hardcore riding!

Way past my skill level, even during the day, in the dry, on my 650 Dakar!
Hi docwyte,
Aw, it's just smoke and mirrors.
Didn't you just start riding in the dirt?? now you have something to look forward to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
I was doing good until you got to the hard part then I got a little QUEASY!
Awesome job, . HUGE huevos!!! Creeks crossings in the dark are a little un-nerving also.
Hi redog!
Yeah, did you hear the sense of relief in my voice when we made it across the creek??
I was totally expecting to get dumped into the water on that one.
Couldn't see a thing!
It was deep - the water came up over matt's knee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickosaurus View Post
Whew! After watching that video, I thought I was going to have to get my wife to bring me some muscle relaxers so I could unpucker the seat springs but eventually...........
You guys are amazing.
Dickie!
TMI!

haha!
Glad you liked the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
The legend of the Wan grows, as always an epic report.
Yo, PDXA!
what up? how have you been??
When I went to quote that post about the Klim rally, I saw the pic of you and Jimmy Lewis...
Did you ever do your dirt lessons with JL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Holy mudbath and scary riding batman - - - - The whole group of you are some tough riders! It just keeps getting better and better.

I just made it back from AK last night and had to read this report before I even put away my gear. It's still piled in the middle of my living room. Make Kelly your favorite, she's a bad influence. I'm caught up now.

This picture is cool. I like the foggy appearance and the rider with the the flowers. There is just something about it that speaks to me.

Now about that ADV salute all those pages ago With the big grins on both your faces it sure doesn't look like you are flipping off the camera saying F#$% you, it looks like you are saying - hey look at this we have middle fingers and we see people on ADV showing off their middle fingers so we will too.

Kelly you are so awesome!!! You are such a big piece of these rides and you jump right in there an wallow in the mud with the guys.

Looking forward to more.
Hi Ladybug!
Glad you're joining us! Hope Alaska was fun

haha, okay, if that's what you need to tell yourself, I'll go along with it

I love showing off my middle finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACINGTHESUN View Post
Again! You are so knocking it out of the ball park with your RR. Can also see Matt has not lost any of his 2up pilot skills
Doug
Hi Doug!
Thanks for reading!
Yeah, if anything Matt says he's losing his solo skills - too much 2 up
Don't feel sorry for him, he got to ride by himself a little on this ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
I knew this update to the ride report would be happening, so when I woke up in the middle of the night due to my insomnia, I had something to look forward to.

Great work guys!
Matt - You're an amazing rider.
Kelly - You're an amazing rider and ride reporter.
Radek and the rest of you, you're all pretty cool too!
I'm honored to be your friend.

Q~
Thanks, Q!
Aw, that's so sweet of you!
(you're drunk, aren't you? Insomnia is code for MGD?)

Just kidding! you're the best. we miss you!
hey, did you wish you and Tiger were with us for that trek up Schofield??

Give Mr. Purr some pets for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiestyRed View Post
Holy crap!

We were up near Gunnison and Crested Butte about a week before you were up there, and we were constantly rained on, too. However, we avoided most of mud and decided to take the asphalt (Hwy 550 though, still quite pretty!) and abandoned plans to try some of those passes. A big fully-loaded GS does not quite handle as well as a smaller off-road-geared bike in slick situations.

But wow! I am impressed - and terrified! - that you all did that in the dark and wet conditions. I would have needed several beers to calm my nerves if I had been there!

Please keep writing, it is so much better than anything on TV!

~Andrea
Hi Andrea,
Yeah, mud is pretty sketchy when you're fully-loaded and 2up...
Definitely feels like we're riding a giant wallowing waterbuffalo sometimes!

Haha, glad you like this better than TV!
I've got 10 or 11 days left, so there will be more episodes coming up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
Up Schofield Pass at night in the rain ... Oso Epic .

Things typically don't look as gnarly in the vids as they were in real life, so I can only imagine how scary that really was for y'all, because the vid freaked me out .

+1 Team Oso Outstanding Job !

jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post
That's a fact! And it looked GNARLY LOCO in the vids. The heavy breathing added tremendous effect!
Thanks Jordan and Diggerled!

It was stressful in real life, but somehow it's scarier on video.
I think we're so focused when it's happening, we don't even notice things like cliffs. (I don't, at least).
Nor do we think about the consequences.

It's only afterwards, editing the footage, when we start talking about the "what ifs" and get super freaked out.

haha, the heavy breathing is pretty bad on this one - wrestling a 500+ pound bike at 10,000 feet is a real workout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnaou View Post
This is an awesome read, thanks for sharing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Just one jaw dropping ride report after another!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgio View Post
Thanks for the most entertaining ride report! I am along for the rest of this one.
Thank you gagnaou, bemiiten, and sgio!
Welcome!
It's so nice of you to join us - I'm really glad you're enjoying the report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Good Lord! I just watched the video. I've still got the leans! Awesome report.
Hey B-Rod,
long time no see! I was happy to spy that pink bunny suit...
How are you? Thanks for checking in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
And still in one piece Thanks for all the hard work.
You're welcome, Bgunn!
Thanks for reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
uggg that video made me cringe

Glad everyone made it out ok
Hey Paul,
Me, too. It was exhausting.
Were you and Jill imagining how awful that would have been??
First the mud, then that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeegman View Post
You guys are all amazing!!
A real cliffhanger.

Radek, I was having the same overheating problems as you for many months and replaced water pump, thermostat, thermoswitch, rad cap, and burped a few times.

My problem was a frayed fan wire, fan would come on very weakly or not at all. Need to make sure fan wires do not move around. New fan fixed it.

On with the craziness!

MZ
Hi Mike,
Great to hear from you!
Thanks for the overheating info, hope it helps someone else.

Have a great time at the KTM rally - make sure you bring a jacket (it rains a lot in CO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Great report LW! I'm having a blast following along. The videos are awesome, but they scare me... You guys are crazy!

hiya dave62538675309!

Nice to see you in here! Sorry for the crappy photos - I hope they don't hurt your eyes.

Seriously - look at how scratched up my TS3 lens is:

As I mentioned, too much crashing in the sand and mud and trying to wipe the lens with dirty gloves.

I get lots of weird glare and stuff now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
That video of Pearl Pass was great.. its fun watching you guys ride 2 up without luggage. Matt loved that climb and you guys where FLYING !

many of the people on here that read these reports have no idea how fast you 2 ride together the videos just don't show the speed you carry in the corners... I feel lucky to have ridden with you guys
Hey!
JustPaul again!

Heh, thanks - glad you liked the video. We enjoyed ourselves...just a little!
It was such a great ride!

Aw, Paul - you're sweet, but don't over-sell us
We're not that fun. There are a lot of people who never want to ride with us again!

OK, hope I didn't skip anyone!

I appreciate all the comments, you guys - it's great to have your enthusiasm!

Osos!!!

Old 09-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #189
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooswolf View Post
Schofield pass two-up in the dark the hard way after rain, you guys are barking Loonbats.
You should have titled the report the Revenge of OSO Stupid, ha ha.
The videos and the ride report are wanderful as always.

After watching those videos, I feel lucky not to have ridden with you guys,

Dan

Hi Dan!
You snuck in there when I wasn't looking...
Thanks for reading (again).

Haha!

(for the record, we have never ridden with Dan ) but he seems like a smart guy!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #190
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 436
First off,

http://mlkshk.com/r/1F6

Secondly. These guys sponsoring you? Take a swig before starting these epic passes?

Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #191
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Something to look forward to indeed! I just started riding period, have 3000 lifetime miles under my belt now.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #192
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
Wow, you folks are nuts! I lived in Gunnison for years, rode Schoefield a bunch of times, but NEVER uphill in the rain! I don't suppose you heard about the wreck there in '70 (I think it was '70) that killed 9 people out of 12 when their GMC Jimmy went into the Punchbowl during a rain storm? They were also going uphill in the rain, lost it about 3/4 up the hill.

Anyway, great read! (I was having a hard time trying to figure out where all the ruts and slick rocks were on the way to Schoefield then you figured it out for me: wrong road!)
All I was thinking about looking at those trails were 'put away the ideas of riding the 950 on terrain like that and start loving your 530; cause even thats going to be a back breaker to pick up on slickrock'. You guys are warriors (and warrior princess )!!!
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #193
ttr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Amazing report!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #194
Overcomb3
Icy PUMA

Oddometer: 33
I'm in love!!!

With your awesome attitudes, riding expertise & your reports. I've read & loved every one of them. I fully admit to being jealous.

I've got the same model 990 S as you do & would love nothing more than to tag along sometime. My riding skills aren't anywhere near Matt's but I would be in heaven to try & keep up. I live across the bay in Pinole. Please feel welcome to contact me for any of the following: lunch(on me), a ride, help with wrenching or any other support needed. Your an inspiration & I really would love to meet sometime & talk bike.

Keep up the GREAT report.

Chris.
Overcomb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #195
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 712
in for a wantastic time!
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote