ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What did the Osos do after Lica's hit in Hell's Gate?
Hit the 911 button on Lica's spot and waited for search and rescue 8 2.30%
Called Radek's cop buddy and got a TOY 4x4 extraction 17 4.89%
What's the problem? He rode out with one hand and no throttle - OSO!!! 77 22.13%
With the engineering flow chart, WD-40 and duct tape - trail repair, baby! 117 33.62%
Flagged down a tour jeep and put the bike in the back with some French tourists 36 10.34%
This is just a ploy to buy time and still act like you're working on the report, isn't it? 116 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #196
Idahosam
Set Adrift
 
Idahosam's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Mostly sitting on my ass recovering
Oddometer: 4,120
Jesus, you two are absolutely the craziest biker couple I've ever had the honor of knowing. Matt Performs feats of acrobatics on that big blue overloaded KTM bus that defy common since! For me as a vertically challenged (29" inseam) on a smaller lighter bike probably. On my Moya no way. At my age if I had to pick Moya up more than twice I'd be done in that situation.

I am so glad to know you guys, you take on everything in good spirit and a tenacious pit bull attitude.... that is contagious. All the reason you have a great tight nit riding posse

I know many will not owe up to it, but this is sorta how I perceived your ride... good thing you didn't capture all the audio in those helmets.

It all starts out giddy with anticipation but then...............







I am leaving out to Texas in 2 days but I'll pop in as much as possible here to catchup..... salute


OH, and I think Q was spot on.
__________________
My Ride South of the Border
Riding Nevada's Pony Express Trail May 2013

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #197
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten
 
Hobbes950's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Nevada City
Oddometer: 3,736
You know how you can take rides in Ferraris with race drivers to get the feeling of the capabilities of the cars without having to have the driving skills yourself? Matt could do that with the schoolbus. Diapers mandatory!

I am sure my husband gets tired of me showing him pictures and videos saying, "Look what they are doing now!" The Wans- instilling feelings of inadequacy in pilots and pillions worldwide.
__________________
When in doubt, take it as a compliment.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #198
redog1
KLR650-2009
 
redog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Magalia, CA./ Butte & Siskiyou C.
Oddometer: 1,793
Could somebody tell me or show me...

What a "barking Loonbat" is? I googled it but didn't come up with anything.

Great stuff Oso crew.
__________________
No, I don't know where that road goes, let's find out!
redog1
redog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #199
Dan Lorenze
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 18
Nice job going up Pearl Pass two up in the rain... Major props, not easy...
Dan Lorenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #200
Scribe
£Bob£
 
Scribe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: In my natural state
Oddometer: 7,064
Oh sure, just leave us hanging on top of Pearl Pass. Moar!

BTW, your exploits are going to cause me problems every time I want to wimp out because "my 950 is too big for that nonsense." Thanks.
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no 'try.'"
— Yoda

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #201
GearWhore
Running fans the flames
 
GearWhore's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 477
Love the video of you guys heading up Pearl. You kids can ride. Sent the video to your Minnesota fans. Nice to see you Wans

Gus (Junior Yeti in training)
GearWhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #202
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister
 
Ladybug0048's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
Oddometer: 10,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
What a "barking Loonbat" is? I googled it but didn't come up with anything.

Great stuff Oso crew.
Barking Loonbats are a species all their own see below for a picture of a couple of them:



A list of wanizms needs to be created with Barking Loonbats included.

Make Barking Loobats your favorite
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #203
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Southern California
Oddometer: 254
Just what the Doctor ordered! Another awesome Wan-written ride report...!!!

Thanks for taking the time and posting all of this awesome stuff
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #204
VFR
Studly Adventurer
 
VFR's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunny (sometimes) SoCal
Oddometer: 715
So where did you get the amsteel tow line??? I saw in the video where he broke it out & it looked in one frame like there were loops tied in at intervals to make pulling easier.

There was a guy making a tow system with a neat set of pulleys but he doesn't make them anymore. Yours is at least better than having to dig the bike out of the mud with your hands... Or pull it up the side of a drop-off.

Insane video too!!! It pretty much shows that you are carrying some serious speed. I liked the one where the back end was bouncing--this was after the shock repair where it took two guys to get the spring back on. Kind of gives you an idea how much load is really on that bike.
__________________
Larry

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #205
LittleWan OP
You can do it!
 
LittleWan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: behind BigWan, trying to keep my feet tucked in :)
Oddometer: 1,760
Hola!

haha, lots of great comments again - OK, report first - chit chat after....




Day 5: 8/5/13
goofing off around Gunnison 119 miles, continued.






A couple screen shots from the way up:
These scree fields were bouncy - it was hard to keep my feet on the pegs!






















For this ride, we were all connected with Senas. It was great!
Radek and Matt re-paired here...








And then I joined in. It was fun to be able to talk and laugh together. You heard some of it in the video...









When we got to the summit, we took a bunch of photos, as you can imagine.

















Funny iphone pano (that’s Radek on either end)







Looking back the way we came.







Looking straight out (I think)

















There was an ammo box at the base of the cross.







With a little book to sign. My hands were freezing, it was hard to hold the pen.







Put a sticker on the sign.








I don’t think it will stay on very long, but it was enough for the photo.









Looks like we go this way to the singletrack...
















And then we headed down the back side. This was supposed to be the harder direction.







We had gone the easy way (Crested Butte to Aspen), purely by chance.
As with going the hard way on Schofield (also chance), it was simply the direction we wanted to go and that's how Matt routed it.
No thought was given to difficulty, just convenience. We got lucky this time!





Aren't these neat looking formations?








Another scree field.
























Then it turned pretty and green.






























It started to rain again on the way down.








The water was really flowing here, it was like riding in a stream.

















At one point, we were going too slow. When Matt went to put his foot down...nothing.








It was just a silly tip over, but I shrieked when I hit the ground.
Radek was worried that I had gotten hurt,
but I had screamed because cold water was running into my pants!
It was like having a bunch of ice cubes dumped into my underwear.







The bike was facing all wonky so we had to move it a little. It was tough to pull it uphill.







I must have looked pathetic, because Radek came to help. Thanks, Radek!







Radek’s bike.








I walked down to a drier spot.















Radek waited for me to get back on the bike.














More rocks














And then the shelf. It’s hard to tell at this angle, but there’s some rock steps here.
This is the toughest part of Pearl Pass.







Radek with his long legs out - he did well, picking his way down.
(sorry for the crap image - matt's GoPro was all fogged up at this point. )







Then, it was our turn...








There were a couple of tall spots. Radek said "if you wash here, you’re done."
He thought it might be risky to go 2up.
Matt has a shorter inseam than Radek (only 31.5”), so I jumped off.


Literally.
It’s kind of hard to tell, but this screen cap shows me mid-air.
I don’t know what happened, but I pretty much fell off the bike and into the bushes.
The guys thought it was hilarious -
"Just kick her off..."
“Yeah - Get the f**k off this bike!”








So I walked from here (Radek took this just before I launched off the bike)....







To here (climbing back on).







OK - that was Pearl!







It had stopped raining by that point. Pretty view.






It was all easy after the steps.




















We headed over to Taylor Pass.




































































According to the sign, we were heading towards Taylor Divide Tr. 440








And, away we go...







OK, I think that's enough for tonight.
I still need to wash the dishes and put away laundry!

Gotta get caught up in the comments.


Next time - some singletrack, then American Flag Mountain.



__________________
OSO LOCO!! osoooo!

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #206
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Corral de Tierra CA, Ketchum ID
Oddometer: 2,553
More than enough for tonight, thanks.
Put an extra scoop of ice cream in Matt's bowl
Yours too!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #207
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 601
MOST Excellent Ride Report.

Huge thanks for sharing the Story and great visuals.

As usually, you guys(and Gal) truly live the Adventure on your trips, very inspirational (and great trip planning)!

I bought a 950 Adv this year, but I'm not ready for some of these pass on your report, I've been spoiled riding the 450 mini bike this year I need to burn off the street tires and stock up on 908's. I don't have crash bars yet, but I think I'll put some on,lol.

Staying tuned in for more!!!!!
NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #208
LittleWan OP
You can do it!
 
LittleWan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: behind BigWan, trying to keep my feet tucked in :)
Oddometer: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
First off,

http://mlkshk.com/r/1F6

Secondly. These guys sponsoring you? Take a swig before starting these epic passes?

Heh, first off - thank you!

Secondly - nope.
We're loyal to our Hot Cock Sauce!








Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Something to look forward to indeed! I just started riding period, have 3000 lifetime miles under my belt now.
Well, nowhere to go but up!
You'll be making huge improvements with every ride...

Have fun!




Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
All I was thinking about looking at those trails were 'put away the ideas of riding the 950 on terrain like that and start loving your 530; cause even thats going to be a back breaker to pick up on slickrock'. You guys are warriors (and warrior princess )!!!
Heh, thanks 5 speed!
If I could do that Xena war cry, I'd be doing it right now





Quote:
Originally Posted by ttr View Post
Amazing report!
Buona serata, ttr - grazie di cuore!





Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcomb3 View Post
With your awesome attitudes, riding expertise & your reports. I've read & loved every one of them. I fully admit to being jealous.

I've got the same model 990 S as you do & would love nothing more than to tag along sometime. My riding skills aren't anywhere near Matt's but I would be in heaven to try & keep up. I live across the bay in Pinole. Please feel welcome to contact me for any of the following: lunch(on me), a ride, help with wrenching or any other support needed. Your an inspiration & I really would love to meet sometime & talk bike.

Keep up the GREAT report.

Chris.
Aw, thank you Chris!
That's super nice of you.

I sent you a PM





Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
in for a wantastic time!
Hey dmaxmike,
that's just wanderful!





Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Jesus, you two are absolutely the craziest biker couple I've ever had the honor of knowing. Matt Performs feats of acrobatics on that big blue overloaded KTM bus that defy common since! For me as a vertically challenged (29" inseam) on a smaller lighter bike probably. On my Moya no way. At my age if I had to pick Moya up more than twice I'd be done in that situation.

I am so glad to know you guys, you take on everything in good spirit and a tenacious pit bull attitude.... that is contagious. All the reason you have a great tight nit riding posse

I know many will not owe up to it, but this is sorta how I perceived your ride... good thing you didn't capture all the audio in those helmets.

It all starts out giddy with anticipation but then...............



I am leaving out to Texas in 2 days but I'll pop in as much as possible here to catchup..... salute


OH, and I think Q was spot on.
Hi Sam!

Oh, that clip was hilarious - from the "I love you, man" to the cries of "MOM!"
I was dying.

Heh, none of the Osos called for mommy, but I'm glad you're enjoying the report.
Have a great time in Tejas!






Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes950 View Post
You know how you can take rides in Ferraris with race drivers to get the feeling of the capabilities of the cars without having to have the driving skills yourself? Matt could do that with the schoolbus. Diapers mandatory!

I am sure my husband gets tired of me showing him pictures and videos saying, "Look what they are doing now!" The Wans- instilling feelings of inadequacy in pilots and pillions worldwide.

Nah, I think it's more likely that we instill feelings of superiority...
With all the bad decisions we make, we probably make everyone else feel pretty damn smart
"What kind of idiot goes up on a pass during a thunderstorm?"
The Wans.




Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
What a "barking Loonbat" is? I googled it but didn't come up with anything.

Great stuff Oso crew.
I dunno.
The only thing I got was some guy named Shane who plays a lot of poker...






Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lorenze View Post
Nice job going up Pearl Pass two up in the rain... Major props, not easy...
Thanks, Dan Lorenze!
wow, you average about 1 comment a year - I feel special!





Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Oh sure, just leave us hanging on top of Pearl Pass. Moar!

BTW, your exploits are going to cause me problems every time I want to wimp out because "my 950 is too big for that nonsense." Thanks.
Hey Scribe!
OK - I tried to get you off the summit!
Feel better now??

Heh - you're welcome!




Quote:
Originally Posted by GearWhore View Post
Love the video of you guys heading up Pearl. You kids can ride. Sent the video to your Minnesota fans. Nice to see you Wans

Gus (Junior Yeti in training)
Gus!!
Thanks! How are you? Haven't seen you in a while!
I'm happy to see that you still have the same interests
and, now you have a 990!!
Woooo!

We thought about you MN guys a lot - in Lake City, on the Alpine loop, Long Canyon, Milt's...
say Hey to Victor and the boys for us!





Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Barking Loonbats are a species all their own see below for a picture of a couple of them:


A list of wanizms needs to be created with Barking Loonbats included.

Make Barking Loobats your favorite
Hi Ladybug!
Hey...

well, I'm not taking credit for that Poker playing Shane guy

Anyway, "Barking Loonbat" isn't one of mine - that's allllll Mr. Fooswolf.
(post #187)





Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadofarmer View Post
Just what the Doctor ordered! Another awesome Wan-written ride report...!!!

Thanks for taking the time and posting all of this awesome stuff
Thanks, avocadofarmer!
But, wait - I thought the doctor ordered avocados?
oh, maybe that was angie dickinson





Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
So where did you get the amsteel tow line??? I saw in the video where he broke it out & it looked in one frame like there were loops tied in at intervals to make pulling easier.

There was a guy making a tow system with a neat set of pulleys but he doesn't make them anymore. Yours is at least better than having to dig the bike out of the mud with your hands... Or pull it up the side of a drop-off.

Insane video too!!! It pretty much shows that you are carrying some serious speed. I liked the one where the back end was bouncing--this was after the shock repair where it took two guys to get the spring back on. Kind of gives you an idea how much load is really on that bike.
Hi VFR -
the amsteel is from Defender Marine.
It used to be 60 Ft, but is probably more like 50 ft now.
(If you let other people tie the knots, they usually have to be cut off )

Matt tied those loops in the line - they helped!
We got a lot of use out of the amsteel on this ride...



Yeah, that shock is not what it used to be.
It needs a heavier spring, too.
But, man - we were happy to have it working at all...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
More than enough for tonight, thanks.
Put an extra scoop of ice cream in Matt's bowl
Yours too!
Hi Bob! Aw, no ice cream tonight.
We don't even have fruit salad
Maybe tomorrow...





Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR_520 View Post
MOST Excellent Ride Report.

Huge thanks for sharing the Story and great visuals.

As usually, you guys(and Gal) truly live the Adventure on your trips, very inspirational (and great trip planning)!

I bought a 950 Adv this year, but I'm not ready for some of these pass on your report, I've been spoiled riding the 450 mini bike this year I need to burn off the street tires and stock up on 908's. I don't have crash bars yet, but I think I'll put some on,lol.

Staying tuned in for more!!!!!
Thanks, Notar!

Hey, hey - you got a 950 adv!! Wooo!

Congratulations!






I'd like to think we're handing out extra-tall glasses of orange koolaid in this report...









Oh, crap. I still have to do the dishes...

good night!
see you guys...next time!!



__________________
OSO LOCO!! osoooo!

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #209
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 19,259
Fantastic!!!! So much fun and adventure!!!!!
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:43 AM   #210
CB160
another old fart....
 
CB160's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: SoCal (LAX)
Oddometer: 80
Oh Kelly,
You and Matt are far more than "Barking Loonbats"
Y'all are certifiable!! Geez...... Some serious meds might fix that....but where would be the fun there, eh?
Only wish my legs were long enough for some of that 'orange koolaid'.... ;) Well, and about 30 years younger, ha!
You are the absolute best in the R/R biz... The 'piloting/pillion' abilities speak for themselves (yet again)!!!
Just curious how you'll ever top this one? ;)

So, does Matt dry after you're done washing......the dishes that is ;)
Can't wait for the 'next episode'...
Have a great Wednesday :)
__________________
Not enough time..... :(
CB160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014