ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #1
Quikbrew OP
Eager

Oddometer: 7
Skidplate?

I originally asked this in the newbie thread, but I don't think anyone noticed:

What's the general opinion on skid/bash plates? Will I need one for gravel roads? Not really planning on a lot of serious off-road stuff...well, not yet anyway

The KTM one looks like good quality and reasonable value.

Advice/opinions most welcome.
The man hunched over his motorcycle can only concentrate on the current moment. He stands outside of time. He is in a moment of ecstasy. He has no fear/worry. For the source of fear/worry lies in the future, and whoever is freed from the future, has nothing to fear.
Quikbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,555
Lots of choices and even more opinions. If u like it.....buy it.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
Mr.Metal
Adventure hungry

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikbrew View Post

What's the general opinion on skid/bash plates? Will I need one for gravel roads? Not really planning on a lot of serious off-road stuff...well, not yet anyway

I've been trying to research this as well. The general consensus I've seen is that the KTM plate is so-so and not designed as well as it could be. The Blackdog plate is a favorite, but there is an open question of whether or not the design can increase engine temperatures in hot climates. Lastly there is the AltRider plate, which is currently at the top of my list.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikbrew View Post

Readily available in Europe and good, IMO, are the AltRider one and the KTM.
Both excellent.
There's also Touratech and SW-Motech.
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
TM1(SS)
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metal View Post
I've been trying to research this as well. The general consensus I've seen is that the KTM plate is so-so and not designed as well as it could be. The Blackdog plate is a favorite, but there is an open question of whether or not the design can increase engine temperatures in hot climates. Lastly there is the AltRider plate, which is currently at the top of my list.
+1 for the AltRider plate!!
TM1(SS) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #6
kailwathne
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 187
I just got back from my first 1190 ride in Death Valley last night. rode 350 miles to DV, two days of jeep trails without all the luggage and back home. In the rocky sections the BDCW skid plate was doing an awesome job of deflecting rocks (you can really hear them when they hit hard). The oil temperature ranged from 175 to 200 depending on travel speed work load and the water temp never got into the top three bars, air temps ranged from 49 to 80 during the ride. The temperature seems to be a concern from some inmates so I was watching this very closely, its not a problem. I would highly recommend their skid plate, it fits the bike well and protects!
Attached Images

kailwathne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:58 AM   #7
Quikbrew OP
Eager

Cheers for the advice lads.

Have just ordered the KTM one. Dealer gave me a good discount on it - £170 (US$256) instead of £215 ($324) . KTM are out of stock at the moment, but I'm not taking delivery of the bike until March, so should be sorted by then.

I can't wait!
The man hunched over his motorcycle can only concentrate on the current moment. He stands outside of time. He is in a moment of ecstasy. He has no fear/worry. For the source of fear/worry lies in the future, and whoever is freed from the future, has nothing to fear.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:34 AM   #8
manxkipper
Fishpistel

Oddometer: 438
When you get the KTM one change the front 6 small countersunk bolts to normal 6mm s/s bolts with washers, change the 6 bottom countersunk bolts to s/s surface bolts with washers. I had enormous trouble trying to remove the countersunk bolts in order to change the oil. Ended up buggering the bottom bolt holes in the plate in an effort to drill them out. Seems the countersunk portion of the bolt is too wide a surface area (may also react with the alloy), creating what amounts to too much surface tension to allow easy bolt removal with the allen key size on the bolt. Ends up stripping the allen key. Thereafter lots of cursing as you will now be operating upside down with drill in hand.

The local KTM techs installed the plate despite me telling them not to. In the process they stripped the two 10mm bolt holes where the crash bars bolt on to the motor. More drilling ensued with taps and inserts to correct their crap. So beware.

Steep learning curve but the plate now works perfectly!
2014 KTM 1190R
manxkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:40 AM   #9
Quikbrew OP
Eager

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxkipper View Post
When you get the KTM one change the front 6 small countersunk bolts to normal 6mm s/s bolts with washers, change the 6 bottom countersunk bolts to s/s surface bolts with washers. I had enormous trouble trying to remove the countersunk bolts in order to change the oil. Ended up buggering the bottom bolt holes in the plate in an effort to drill them out. Seems the countersunk portion of the bolt is too wide a surface area (may also react with the alloy), creating what amounts to too much surface tension to allow easy bolt removal with the allen key size on the bolt. Ends up stripping the allen key. Thereafter lots of cursing as you will now be operating upside down with drill in hand.

The local KTM techs installed the plate despite me telling them not to. In the process they stripped the two 10mm bolt holes where the crash bars bolt on to the motor. More drilling ensued with taps and inserts to correct their crap. So beware.

Thanks for the tip
Old 01-27-2015, 07:19 AM   #10
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
I tried the touratech one and it was pretty decent but I ride in a lot of rocks so switched to the BDCW. You can have my touratech one for a reasonable offer if you are interested. I did enlarge one of the holes so oil changes can be done without removing it.

Black Hills screwed with this post 01-27-2015 at 09:57 AM
Black Hills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #11
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,274
I put the KTM bashplate on. Had to tap the threads for the bolt on rear right (mine is the 2014). Easy to take off for oil changes. I don't take it offroad tho, so mostly overkill.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
silverdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by manxkipper View Post

Anti seize helps considerably....
silverdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #13
ozzieadventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
I tried the touratech one and it was pretty decent but I ride in a lot of rocks so switched to the BDCW. You can have my touratech one for a reasonable offer if you are interested. I did enlarge one of the holes so oil changes can be done without removing it.
Shame I'm on the other side of the world and postage would be a killer. Otherwise I'd be making you an offer.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
mvonkaenel
Roost Hog or Die

Oddometer: 220
On the KTM plate.
Simply loosen up the other hardware first and all the small countersunk bolts come right out. But definitely use anti-seize when re-installing.
'14 KTM 1190 Std.
mvonkaenel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #15
shadower75
n00b

I run a Touratech bash plate. Was a easy install and the build quality as we know with touratech is second to none.

Took the beast for a real rocky ride a few weeks ago and the B/B did its job. Very happy.

Good luck
shadower75 is offline   Reply With Quote