ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
MUDHWY OP
Caress Of Steel

Oddometer: 2,296
ARRRRRGH! Ever tried to reach KTM on their customer service line?

Wondering what others' experience is with the KTM N. America customer service phone line. I've been trying to reach them off and on now for the last week at their long-distance (for me) non toll-free number in OH and all I get are computers and then a hold pattern which then in about 5 minutes "resolves" into getting told to leave a voicemail.

Never once have been able to get through to an actual person. Is it always this bad? Here in North America it's the middle of winter for crying out loud! I would think they would have some agents available to talk to their customers in the slow season. Sort of reminds me of when I owned a Harley Davidson and had a service question. No 800 number there either and crazy long hold times. The only thing that made it worse was having to listen to Born To Be Wild over and over and over again while I waited! At least eventually, if you could stand to wait 20-30 minutes you would get through to an actual human. NOT impressed with this part of the KTM experience so far.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
I called them last year to find out the tour schedule at Mattighofen since I was going to be nearby in Austria, left a message, and they called me back either later that day or the next day, I forget - but it was responsive.

My question was a little easier to answer than yours, though. :)
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #3
SeattleAdventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I've been waiting for a call back for over a week... My 1190 is currently at the dealer... Dealer is waiting for a call back as well....I will update when my dealer or I get a call back
SeattleAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
RockJaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I called KTM USA on Monday and left them a detail message with my name, phone number, dealer information, location and the electronic issues. It was a holiday on Monday for them but they called me back on Tuesday morning and did some research ahead of time. They had pulled me up in there owners database before calling and saw the many bikes that have bought too. He also asked questions on the problem to be prepared for the dealer call. They called the dealer right after he hung up with me.
RockJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
RockJaw
Adventurer

I also emailed Austria HQ at there IR and warranty email addresses too. Not sure if this helped with the USA quick response and HQ never replied back.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,687
Timely post......

So my bike is at the dealer for starting issue. Dealer says they put in a call 3 days ago to ktm about the issue. I call ktm, leave message. The called me back about 30 minutes later. First thing he asks is this call about Cold Starting problems? I say no its about The Starting problem regardless of temp. They state we have 3 techs on stand by everydayto work with dealers. Your dealer has not called.

So goes on....replace cables....Done. Change battery....Done....did you put a new one in? I said yes. Was it charged.....yes (irritated by now). How do you know.....because I charged it. Was it a Lithium battery because in the cold the under perform. No it was an AGM just like the OEM one. Have you had the valves set exactly to spec.....not yet as the service interval ktm published says 18k miles. You need to do that (was planning on it but irritated now). Is this a warranty covered.....No. Then told me to change my oil to 5-40....my cost also. Then he said to have the new ECU maps installed. As for a starter.....No

Basically the guy sounded like he was tired of having this conversation about poor starting. I was not impressed but it is what it is.....

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #7
mvonkaenel
Roost Hog or Die

Oddometer: 387
Lemon Law???
'14 KTM 1190 Std.
mvonkaenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
RockJaw
Adventurer

KTM USA are slaves to the Austria HQ so be kind to them. A lot of the electronics was out sourced to speed up design and to produce bikes that can compete with BMW. I deal with this at my work and is tough. You do need to let cycle world and other magazines aware of customer issues. They take the side of the manufacturer that sends them bikes to bring in revenue but you can post your opinions and make a difference.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #9
MUDHWY OP
Caress Of Steel

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJaw View Post
KTM USA are slaves to the Austria HQ so be kind to them. A lot of the electronics was out sourced to speed up design and to produce bikes that can compete with BMW. I deal with this at my work and is tough. You do need to let cycle world and other magazines aware of customer issues. They take the side of the manufacturer that sends them bikes to bring in revenue but you can post your opinions and make a difference.
Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN) is all subscriber paid. They take NO advertising dollars which means honest reviews w/o the manufacturer pressure.

Dave Searle and Bruce Steever are the main editors and respond personally to email (& publish the best) at editor@mcnews.com
Old 01-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #10
RockJaw
Adventurer

Thanks and emailed mc news my saga and a few others.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
oldfuddy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
Timely post......

So my bike is at the dealer for starting issue. Dealer says they put in a call 3 days ago to ktm about the issue. I call ktm, leave message. The called me back about 30 minutes later. First thing he asks is this call about Cold Starting problems? I say no its about The Starting problem regardless of temp. They state we have 3 techs on stand by everydayto work with dealers. Your dealer has not ....

Got the same response from KTM NA on a separate 1190 issue where they stated my dealer had not called them. My dealer is awesome, I'm pretty sure they called, but at least I got a call back after leaving a msg from an NA rep and was able to discuss my issue.

As for the starter issue... Think I saw a post where you were interested in a 1290SA... if true and if the 1290SA uses the 1290SD battery, cables, etc... you're in for a treat. My '14 1290SD and my '14 1190R were like they were built by different manufactures (on multiple levels). The SD fires immediately without the struggling issues the 1190 was having (zero heat issue too, but that's a whole different thread)... and yes, I went through the whole dealer cable recall, charging, battery thing too with no change in results. The 1290 comes to life the second you hit the button with a powerful starter and before you can get your finger off it its already running. The 1190 would take several slow struggling turns to fire up even after sitting all night on a charger in perfect weather conditions. It is what it is and I hope for the perspective SA buyers the SD starting infrastructure is retained for the SA.
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #12
painterdude
ride far

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfuddy View Post
Got the same response from KTM NA on a separate 1190 issue where they stated my dealer had not called them. My dealer is awesome, I'm pretty sure they called, but at least I got a call back after leaving a msg from an NA rep and was able to discuss my issue.

As for the starter issue... Think I saw a post where you were interested in a 1290SA... if true and if the 1290SA uses the 1290SD battery, cables, etc... you're in for a treat. My '14 1290SD and my '14 1190R were like they were built by different manufactures (on multiple levels). The SD fires immediately without the struggling issues the 1190 was having (zero heat issue too, but that's a whole different thread)... and yes, I went through the whole dealer cable recall, charging, battery thing too with no change in results. The 1290 comes to life the second you hit the button with a powerful starter and before you can get your finger off it its already running. The 1190 would take several slow struggling turns to fire up even after sitting all night on a charger in perfect weather conditions. It is what it is and I hope for the perspective SA buyers the SD starting infrastructure is retained for the SA.
same difference noted and keep noting between the 2014 1190 I had and the 2015 1190 I now have. They feel and on inspection look like different bikes. This variant starts faster runs better and has had details attended to KTM never mentioned it has attended to. I must say I love this 2015 and never quite felt right on the 2014. Just a more refined effort.
painterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:47 PM   #13
RockJaw
Adventurer

I spent the afternoon coordinating calls with KTM and the dealer to troubleshoot the ECU. KTM said that they have been trying to call them and could not reach them. I have never had any issue with getting to the service department - phones are critical for these guys. Funny thing is, I called the dealer and I could hear them but they could not hear me without yelling into the phone. They used there personal cells to do the diagnostics to the ECU after a week of waiting to try to re-flash the ECU. The ECU had failed on the 2015. I do think it helps to email the KTM HQ even though they do not respond.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #14
SeattleAdventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Update on my situation-
KTM NA still has not called me back-I don't expect one at this time....
After 3 days the local rep contacted my dealer, rep has elevated within KTM and now the dealer is working with someone higher to resolve my issues....
Hopeful....
SeattleAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #15
GCecchetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
So, I thought I would post my experience with KTM North America, KTM's failings get lots of air time here on the forum , so when they get it right they should get credit. In my opinion anyway.

So.....many of you are familiar with the situation with my 2014 ADV R purchased from Del Amo Motorsports roughly three months ago. For those that aren't, the bike was new (had 2.5 miles on the odometer) but had previously been sold to someone in South America for a trip. The bike never left the dealer and sat in the crate at Del Amo for 8 + months because the importer F'd up and missed the pickup time to make the ship headed south. The bike sat in the crate until the owner in SA decided he didn't want it and sold it back to the dealer. The hitch was that since the sale was completed Del Amo filed the paperwork with KTM that initiated the start of the warranty. So, the warranty will expire on Feb 10th. I did purchase a 5 year extended warranty for some peace of mind.

Del Amo screwed everything they could and the bike was shipped to me in a state requiring warranty replacement of the the ambient air temp sensor and batter box cover, missing the tool kit and one of the ignition keys. Since the parts were cheap and easy to replace, I bought them from my local dealer and replaced them myself rather than being without the bike while the situation was addressed. I found some other stuff, like loose parts, that started me second guessing whether or not Del Amo did any dealer prep at all. That said, the bike has been solid and not given me any problems.

Six weeks or so ago, I called KTM NA east to talk with them about my bike to see if they could confirm if all the recalls, firmware updates, etc. had been done. I was concerned if the warranty expired before the first service that I might end up on the hook paying for stuff Del Amo should have taken care of before the bike was shipped. Amazingly, on the first call Mike Rosso picked up the phone. I explained the situation and he said he would look into it and call me back. Several days later I got a call from a gal at KTM asking about my experience with the dealer. I asked if Mike had asked her to call me and she said no, it was just their usual follow up. Not sure I buy that.

Weeks go by and periodically I call KTM, never get anyone, leave a message, and never hear back. So, today I call, same thing, leave a message. This time my message says "your message says I've reached KTM customer service, but this is at least the fourth call with no return call, so I really don't feel like I'm reaching KTM customer service". About an hour later, Mike Rosso calls me back, very cordial, like the first time. I refresh his memory on the situation with my bike and tell him I've scheduled it in for it's first service at Moore & Sons, but they can't get me in until Feb 15th, and the bike will the be out of warranty. I then ask him about the warranty on my bike hinting that it would be nice if they reset the warranty to the day I purchased the bike since it had never left the dealership and that I'm the first owner to take possession of it.

With no further coaxing he looks up my bike in there records, tells me he'll call Moore & Sons to have them give the bike a once and over and cover any issues and then tells me he'll have the warranty reset to expire October 31 of this year, one year from the date of sale to me.

It took some persistence on my end, but in the end they did the right thing and were gracious about it. No sense of any attitude about it at all. I have no idea how busy they may be, or how many, or few, people there are in the office to field these calls, but I'm inclined to believe they were not purposely avoiding me. In they end, they left me a happy camper, feeling even better about my decision to go Orange.

I truly hope I don't end up posting a follow up saying I had to stay on top of them to make happen. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Sorry about the novel.

"Every Society Honors It's Live Conformists And It's Dead Troublemakers"

GCecchetto screwed with this post 01-28-2015 at 09:16 PM
GCecchetto is offline   Reply With Quote