ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
kag OP
Wander Lust
 
kag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,381
1190 Adventure Battery Thread

Did a search and didn't find specifics about various battery choices so i thought I start one. OEM Battery Yuasa YTZ14S. Supposed to have a 12 month warranty

I have a F01 fault when I tried to charge the battery. Only been sitting 10 days since i stated working on it. I had been noticing the starter seemed to be turning slower and slower over the last couple of months. So I pulled the battery from the bike and was bench charging. Keeps throwing a F01 code. Almost 9k miles / 7 months since new on the bike.

This is about Looking for replacement battery choices that fit.
Found a couple already but I know there are more, if you know of some post them up with any specifics. I purchased the Moto Classic battery below

Moto Classic Sealed AGM Battery $68.00 free ship


Capacity (Ah) 11.2
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) 260
Voltage (V) 12
Chemistry AGM (Sealed Lead Acid)
Warranty 2 1/2 Years


WPS Featherweight Lithium Battery $142.00 shipped


  • Lithium Ion Polymer technology
  • Extremely lightweight
  • Built-in LED test gauge
  • Fast recharge, can be brought up to 90% charge in within 6 minutes
  • Long shelf life, up to 1 year before requiring recharging
  • More precise fitments, foam spacers are not required!
  • 1 year manufacturer's warranty
  • Dimensions L x W x H: 6" x 3-7/16" x 3-11/16"
  • C.C.A: 290


Ballistic Performance 12 Cell EVO2 Lithium Battery 100-012 $199.00

  • Size: 4.5" L x 3.5" W x 4.25" H
  • Size Description: 2.6 LBS
  • Notes: Battery may be smaller than OEM. Terminal modification may be required.
  • OEM# 100-012
  • Amp-Hr: 20 AH



Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 Lithium-Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) $159.00

ChemistryLithium-Iron Phosphate
Voltage12
Capacity18Ah
Rating Whr216
Cca270
Warranty2 Year



Motocross YTZ14S $115.00

ChemistryLead Acid
Voltage12
Capacity11.2Ah
Rating Whr134
Cellnum6
Cca230
__________________
“Always drink upstream from the herd”

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS

kag screwed with this post 07-13-2014 at 05:50 PM
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
ADVill
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: West Tn, USA
Oddometer: 606
I have the WPS on my 520 and it's been good so far. No other info to help.
__________________
'08 990 Adventure Orange of course
'00 520 EXC
'14 500 XCW
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
TakSD
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Cyprus
Oddometer: 55
Have had a similar battery to WPS on mine for 6 months now with no problems. These li-on batteries are all sourced from the same producer in china but seem to be a quality product... I think the factory's own brand is shido and it should have 3 yrs warranty. Ktm must also source the one in their powerparts catalog from them. Go for it!
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1190R for everything, EXC 450 Six days for the rough stuff
TakSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
Reddydr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: INDIA Hyderabad
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
Did a search and didn't find specifics about various battery choices so i thought I start one. OEM Battery Yuasa YTZ14S. Supposed to have a 12 month warranty

I have a F01 fault when I tried to charge the battery. Only been sitting 10 days since i stated working on it. I had been noticing the starter seemed to be turning slower and slower over the last couple of months. So I pulled the battery from the bike and was bench charging. Keeps throwing a F01 code. Almost 9k miles / 7 months since new on the bike.

This is about Looking for replacement battery choices that fit.
Found a couple already but I know there are more, if you know of some post them up with any specifics. I purchased the Moto Classic battery below

Moto Classic Sealed AGM Battery $68.00 free ship


Capacity (Ah) 11.2
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) 260
Voltage (V) 12
Chemistry AGM (Sealed Lead Acid)
Warranty 2 1/2 Years


WPS Featherweight Lithium Battery $142.00 shipped


  • Lithium Ion Polymer technology
  • Extremely lightweight
  • Built-in LED test gauge
  • Fast recharge, can be brought up to 90% charge in within 6 minutes
  • Long shelf life, up to 1 year before requiring recharging
  • More precise fitments, foam spacers are not required!
  • 1 year manufacturer's warranty
  • Dimensions L x W x H: 6" x 3-7/16" x 3-11/16"
  • C.C.A: 290


Ballistic Performance 12 Cell EVO2 Lithium Battery 100-012 $199.00

  • Size: 4.5" L x 3.5" W x 4.25" H
  • Size Description: 2.6 LBS
  • Notes: Battery may be smaller than OEM. Terminal modification may be required.
  • OEM# 100-012
  • Amp-Hr: 20 AH



Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 Lithium-Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) $159.00

ChemistryLithium-Iron Phosphate
Voltage12
Capacity18Ah
Rating Whr216
Cca270
Warranty2 Year



Motocross YTZ14S $115.00

ChemistryLead Acid
Voltage12
Capacity11.2Ah
Rating Whr134
Cellnum6
Cca230
Hi i had been using EARTHX Lithium ion battery 24Ah since last 9 months and happy as of now ,
Reddydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
xtremewlr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: Coronado, CA
Oddometer: 39
I've been using MOTY batteries for a while now in my race bikes and in a couple of street bikes with no issues. With the 1190 being a bigger bike and the additional accessories that most will run, MOTY has a 12 cell battery in a OEM sized case similar to the specs of the OEM Yuasa that would be a great choice. Only issue might be the top mounted terminals.

http://www.motydesign.com/product.ph...-cell-oem-case

Pulse discharge @ 10 seconds = 360 Amps (similar to CCA)
Continuous discharge (MAX) = 210 Amps
Cycle Life (DoD spec) = 1,000 cycles
Dimensions (L x W x H) = 14.6cm x 8.9cm x 8.9cm (10.8cm to top of bolt) / 5.75" x 3.5" x 3.5" (4.25" to top of bolt)
Weight = 958.21g / 2.11lbs
Rating = 6.9Ah
Operational Temperature Range = -22 °F to +140 °F
xtremewlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer
 
Doug Matson's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Torrance, Ca.
Oddometer: 1,706
I switched to the Shorai and did some mods so now the battery leads are reversed and I had room for my FZ1 fuse block also.
__________________
04' 950 Adventure
03' 450 EXC
05' K1200 LT
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:20 AM   #7
ternus
El Gran Camino
 
ternus's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: On the Great Road
Oddometer: 89
I have an EarthX ETX-36C in mine. Fits perfectly. Works great.
__________________
Follow me from Boston to Argentina: Ride Report Main Site Twitter
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
ternus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
DirtJack
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
Did a search and didn't find specifics about various battery choices so i thought I start one. OEM Battery Yuasa YTZ14S. Supposed to have a 12 month warranty

I have a F01 fault when I tried to charge the battery. Only been sitting 10 days since i stated working on it. I had been noticing the starter seemed to be turning slower and slower over the last couple of months. So I pulled the battery from the bike and was bench charging. Keeps throwing a F01 code. Almost 9k miles / 7 months since new on the bike.
I'm noticing similar behavior on my 1190R which I've had since Dec. 26, 2013.

Of course, we all know about the replacement battery/starter cables for bikes manufactured before Nov. 22, 2013. My bike is scheduled to have the cables replaced. IMO, the OEM 11.8AH battery is undersized for the big V twin particularly in situations of lots of short haul driving and cold weather (battery is never properly recharged). The OEM cables have higher than normal resistance at the crimped connectors and that impedes charging. One problem I noticed is that the battery voltage is often below 14 volts and never above 14.1 volts. 14.4 is needed for proper charging of AGM batteries. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed these low charging voltages? What is your charging voltage after the battery cables have been replaced?
__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 03:03 PM
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.
 
ebrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Denver colo
Oddometer: 1,339
Have never

Seen anything over 14.

13.8/13.9 seems to be the norm
ebrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion
 
scudrunner82's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Catskill, NY
Oddometer: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrew View Post
Seen anything over 14.

13.8/13.9 seems to be the norm


Same here.

I always thought proper charge rate for batteries was spec'd between 13.8-14.2

13.9 is where mine lives and I've never had a problem anywhere from 20-100 degrees F.
__________________
Hungry Tenere TripTeam Ghetto Does a Hot Lap of America

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
DirtJack
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Same here.

I always thought proper charge rate for batteries was spec'd between 13.8-14.2

13.9 is where mine lives and I've never had a problem anywhere from 20-100 degrees F.
Well, the charge voltages depend on battery chemistry and are a little different, depending the type. FLA, Gel, AGM, LiCo, LiFePO4, etc. For charging AGM, the voltage should be 2.4 volts per cell (6 cells = 14.4 v). The float charge voltage should be 2.25 - 2.3 volts per cell (6 cells = 13.5 - 13.8).

The voltages we are seeing are fine for a float charge voltage (battery fully charged), but we should see some higher voltages after a lot of cranking. My bike takes a bit of cranking to get it going, even when hot. I would like to see a higher charge voltage, especially when, after a long ride and letting the battery rest overnight, the resting voltage of the battery is usually 12.72 (a little on the low side). I haven't measured the parasitic draw of the bike yet. Anyone else do this?
__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #12
kag OP
Wander Lust
 
kag's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Well, the charge voltages depend on battery chemistry and are a little different, depending the type. FLA, Gel, AGM, LiCo, LiFePO4, etc. For charging AGM, the voltage should be 2.4 volts per cell (6 cells = 14.4 v). The float charge voltage should be 2.25 - 2.3 volts per cell (6 cells = 13.5 - 13.8).

The voltages we are seeing are fine for a float charge voltage (battery fully charged), but we should see some higher voltages after a lot of cranking. My bike takes a bit of cranking to get it going, even when hot. I would like to see a higher charge voltage, especially when, after a long ride and letting the battery rest overnight, the resting voltage of the battery is usually 12.72 (a little on the low side). I haven't measured the parasitic draw of the bike yet. Anyone else do this?
unsure of the exact parasitic draw but I do know back in the winter after I broke my ankle the bike sat for like 10 days and I did not put it on the trickle charger. Went out and the bike would not crank. Of course the garage was very cool as I had not been running heat out there for a while. I charged it and then kept on the trickle charger after that. My voltage is right at 13.8 most of the time.
__________________
“Always drink upstream from the herd”

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014