ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #1
geoffooooo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
990 R. Orange key.

I'm heading off on a 5 day ride in 10 hours. Just going over things and thought about taking a spare key. Found two in the KTM folder. Stuck both in to try, one was orange and seems the orange one is not to be ever used. Bike won't start now. What have I done?

Is there any way out of this? Starting to panic?
geoffooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #2
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
The orange key is the programming key. Inserting and turning on the ignition with it resets the programming for the bike. Apparently, it's pretty easy to fix. I found this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591496
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
geoffooooo OP
Adventurer

OK. I got it going again. Why don't they have in big writing something stuck to that orange Key about what it does! Just thought it was a different colour spare key, and not everyone reads the manual from start to finish before riding.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
stephanektm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffooooo View Post
OK. I got it going again. Why don't they have in big writing something stuck to that orange Key about what it does! Just thought it was a different colour spare key, and not everyone reads the manual from start to finish before riding.
Actually the person who sold it to you should of told you!! I read my manual 2-3 weeks after having my bike! Didnt have time to read just time to ride!!! The store who sold me the bike told me not to touch the orange key!! When i came back to the store with my trailer to get the bike the guy there said it also!! When i called my mechanic to tell him the good news he said congratulations!! Dont touch the orange key!! Then he explained thouroughly and i hid that key so that no one ever finds it!!

One thing is for sure you will hide it also!!! Lesson learned!!
don't hesitate : go for it!!
when in doubt : gas 'it!!!
stephanektm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
Quote:
Roger that! Well, no biggie since you got it going again! Have fun on your trip and be careful!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
geoffooooo OP
Adventurer

Gee's, I was in a panic.

And it wasn't that easy to reprogram. I had to do it a few times before it worked. And I only did one key, as once I had one key done I didn't want to stick that orange one any where near the ignition again. I will take the spare black one that doesn't work now, plus the orange one on the ride just in case I have a problem.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
RadoR6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Gee's, I was in a panic.

And it wasn't that easy to reprogram. I had to do it a few times before it worked. And I only did one key, as once I had one key done I didn't want to stick that orange one any where near the ignition again. I will take the spare black one that doesn't work now, plus the orange one on the ride just in case I have a problem.
Another thing you should also know is NEVER keep the orange key close/together with the black one.Have fun on your ride.
RadoR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
geoffooooo OP
Adventurer

It's with the spare black one that doesn't work now?

Anyway, the orange and black key were both together in the KTM folder when I bought the bike new? I suppose if the dealer didn't tell me about the orange key hes not gunna know to keep the keys apart?
Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Guess that's why there is a sticker on the bike stating to read the users manual before riding it:)
Old 09-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanektm View Post
Actually the person who sold it to you should of told you!! I read my manual 2-3 weeks after having my bike! Didnt have time to read just time to ride!!! The store who sold me the bike told me not to touch the orange key!! When i came back to the store with my trailer to get the bike the guy there said it also!! When i called my mechanic to tell him the good news he said congratulations!! Dont touch the orange key!! Then he explained thouroughly and i hid that key so that no one ever finds it!!

One thing is for sure you will hide it also!!! Lesson learned!!
Exclamation point license now revoked.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Read the fuckin manual. My goodness.
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:15 AM   #12
Chewy750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Erm, since when do men read the manual before they bust something? The manual is only there for emergencies, surely?
Chewy750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:21 AM   #13
Bob_Wilson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Why don't you just follow the steps in the manual and program in the spare black key so that it works?

What is the point of carrying a key that doesn't work.

Incidently the 1190 manual doesn't give you the procedure for programming the keys in event of loosing one. This is bad form.
Bob_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote