Old 08-27-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
Raabe OP
CAW CAW!!!

Oddometer: 35
Question How to "rally"?

Hello ADV

Looking for some advice here :)

Short "whaddafuckyouwant?":
Dreaming of practicipating in a rally some day in my life (2LDR on bottom of textwall)

Ok ok little more into details:
Someday i want to practicipate in a Rally. I love watching them and i really would love even more to at least once practicipate in one. My highest goal would be the Africa Race or Dakar (duh).

I want to mention at that point that i am knowing that the Dakar (and similar rallys) is (are) not for the little boys. To be honest, in my current condition and with my current knowlege i do not see any chance in practicipating in an event like Dakar within the next 30 years. Minimum.

I am an 24 yrs old austrian boy, have an Transalp since about 1 year / 10000km and have no offroad experience. I can fix everything on the bike as long as fixing just requires a wrench or two and as long as i do not have to take the engine apart. So you can say i can not do mechanics at all (at least not yet). Also i know i would need to do some fitness stuff. Not saying i am fat but im not an athlete eiter. Im an boringly shaped boringly average adult.

If i want to practicipate in any type of rally (has not to be the dakar! would just be awesome if it could be sometime in the future) somewhere in my lifespan, where should i start? Should i just try out some wood or are there rally-like events for beginners? Should i improve my mechanics skills first? Workout? Am i too old to begin with that stuff?

Too long didnt read:
How to turn a average turd into an rally practicipant?

br Raabe
Raabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
HellasRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raabe View Post
Hello ADV

Too long didnt read:

br Raabe
You start with a race that has light version of itself. You follow up here all races around your country and there is something for sure.
Hellas Rally has a Raid version of the race, with Roadbook or GPS, you decide, will get you into the spirit and then you can start investing.
Regards
HellasRally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Preparation: You need a road book holder (preferably an electric one, for example an F2R) and a trip meter (ICO, trailtech, IMO) you can adjust. This is also the most expensive investment for a rally.
I prefer bib mousse in the tires, then you do not have to worry about flats but they are expensive.

Mechanics: If you do not crash, you do not have to do a lot of maintenance during a rally except topping up oil and changing air filter. I always start a rally with fresh wear parts (disk pads, oil, filters, chain and sprockets). Depending on your driving style you have to change a rear tire.

Navigation: Learn it on the job. It is no rocket science. Drive slowly in the beginning, when you start to understand the game you can speed up. Do not make the mistake to drive faster than you can navigate. Do not follow others when you are not sure about the navigation.

Have fun.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 314
In Italy there are some associations that once or twice a year organise a Motorally "school" for beginners. Usually one can rent the bike with the navigation equipment directly from them and be tutored over a couple of days in how to ride, how to use navigation instruments, how to train, etc. Most of them are ran from Dakar racers (Polli, Zanotti, etc.) but I guess they are all teached in Italian language. Not sure, though. Try on the web looking for "scuola motorally", you should find them quite easily.

BTW, I reckon there should be a very strong rally team based in Austria, I can't really remember their name, but I am quite sure they use to wear ORANGE colour in their team... You could try and knock at their door for a little help...
Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 655
Hi Raab,
you can join us at the german language Adventureforum.
Orange bikes are not mandatory even so it started as a KTM Adventure Forum but has evolved into a Travel and Rally Nutter Forum

In there a few inmates are doing rallies or thinking of it in the near future.
One guy is currently on the Serres in Greece
There is me thinking of going to participate in the Hellas next year
And a few others thinking of doing the Tuareg

There you should be able to find someone near you to go riding and training with

And then there is this forum where you can find tons of other foreign lunatics

And first start with fitness immediatly, you need good core strenght, not so much big arms.
And ride ride ride, thats what I do currently when ever I have the opportunity.
For example early October we go to Slovenia riding for a few days

cu
Stefan
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Raabe OP
CAW CAW!!!

Thanks for the answers so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
In Italy there are some associations that once or twice a year organise a Motorally "school" for beginners. Usually one can rent the bike with the navigation equipment directly from them and be tutored over a couple of days in how to ride, how to use navigation instruments, how to train, etc. Most of them are ran from Dakar racers (Polli, Zanotti, etc.) but I guess they are all teached in Italian language. Not sure, though. Try on the web looking for "scuola motorally", you should find them quite easily.

BTW, I reckon there should be a very strong rally team based in Austria, I can't really remember their name, but I am quite sure they use to wear ORANGE colour in their team... You could try and knock at their door for a little help...
Thanks for the tip, i will take a look at that italian thingy (except they are italian language only)

Hmmm i think i know which orange company you are trying to point at :)

Good point in pointing! Never thought about that (well somewhere i did but i thought they wont do anything if i aint having money or talent). Funfact: my parents house is just a few minutes from KTM facility with bicycle. Maybe i will poke them :)

Just discovered you can take beginner enduro lessons in austria. ~250 for a week (excluding bike but hey, the TA can handle that fo shure) maybe i will try that out.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
Raabe OP
CAW CAW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happe View Post
Hi Raab,
you can join us at the german language Adventureforum.
Orange bikes are not mandatory even so it started as a KTM Adventure Forum but has evolved into a Travel and Rally Nutter Forum

In there a few inmates are doing rallies or thinking of it in the near future.
One guy is currently on the Serres in Greece
There is me thinking of going to participate in the Hellas next year
And a few others thinking of doing the Tuareg

There you should be able to find someone near you to go riding and training with

And then there is this forum where you can find tons of other foreign lunatics

And first start with fitness immediatly, you need good core strenght, not so much big arms.
And ride ride ride, thats what I do currently when ever I have the opportunity.
For example early October we go to Slovenia riding for a few days

cu
Stefan
Thank you very much, signing in right now :)
Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
fortizgur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raabe View Post
Hello ADV

Looking for some advice here :)

Short "whaddafuckyouwant?":
Dreaming of practicipating in a rally some day in my life (2LDR on bottom of textwall)

Ok ok little more into details:
Someday i want to practicipate in a Rally. I love watching them and i really would love even more to at least once practicipate in one. My highest goal would be the Africa Race or Dakar (duh).

I want to mention at that point that i am knowing that the Dakar (and similar rallys) is (are) not for the little boys. To be honest, in my current condition and with my current knowlege i do not see any chance in practicipating in an event like Dakar within the next 30 years. Minimum.

I am an 24 yrs old austrian boy, have an Transalp since about 1 year / 10000km and have no offroad experience. I can fix everything on the bike as long as fixing just requires a wrench or two and as long as i do not have to take the engine apart. So you can say i can not do mechanics at all (at least not yet). Also i know i would need to do some fitness stuff. Not saying i am fat but im not an athlete eiter. Im an boringly shaped boringly average adult.

If i want to practicipate in any type of rally (has not to be the dakar! would just be awesome if it could be sometime in the future) somewhere in my lifespan, where should i start? Should i just try out some wood or are there rally-like events for beginners? Should i improve my mechanics skills first? Workout? Am i too old to begin with that stuff?

Too long didnt read:

br Raabe
Hey there,,, saw your post and just couldn't stop laughing!!!! Don't take it the wrong way, I only did so because it brought back memory of myself 10 years ago!!!

You want to rally,, get reading, riding, greasing, exercising, saving $$ (avoid wife and kids if you want to save) and did I say save $$$!! I think my point got across.

Truth is wife and kids are great and wouldn't have it any other way,,, and yes, life did get in the way (work, wife, kids, responsibility) but it sure made me mature (so I think),,,

.... so 10 years later, participated in Hare scrambles, do as much riding as possible, lost weight, gained my health back, prioritized responsibility (wife and kids $$) and could say I am finally on the road to getting into some Rally events.... still have quite a ways to go before participating in Rally events but as an amateur and just wanting to finish these events I could see the light at the end of tunnel....

One last thing, Dakar, I think its every riders dream to participate but when you do the numbers $$ there are lots other events you get more bang for your buck such as Dakar series, Desafio Inca, Ruta40, Mexcian 1000, BITD, baja, Taureg, Italian, Greek events, and of course many more especially in your side of the globe,,, they will give you the experience and confidence GREATLY NEEDED if you were to participate in Dakar.

I dont mean to insult in any way,, just share a bit of wisdom and there are plenty others in this forum that can shed even more light towards your dream.

Keep your dream alive!! Best of luck to you!!!
fortizgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
Scotty Breauxman
Baja Breaux

Oddometer: 255
Charlie Rauseo has helped some of us with this
Scotty Breauxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
Raabe OP
CAW CAW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortizgur View Post
Hey there,,, saw your post and just couldn't stop laughing!!!! Don't take it the wrong way, I only did so because it brought back memory of myself 10 years ago!!!

You want to rally,, get reading, riding, greasing, exercising, saving $$ (avoid wife and kids if you want to save) and did I say save $$$!! I think my point got across.

Truth is wife and kids are great and wouldn't have it any other way,,, and yes, life did get in the way (work, wife, kids, responsibility) but it sure made me mature (so I think),,,

.... so 10 years later, participated in Hare scrambles, do as much riding as possible, lost weight, gained my health back, prioritized responsibility (wife and kids $$) and could say I am finally on the road to getting into some Rally events.... still have quite a ways to go before participating in Rally events but as an amateur and just wanting to finish these events I could see the light at the end of tunnel....

One last thing, Dakar, I think its every riders dream to participate but when you do the numbers $$ there are lots other events you get more bang for your buck such as Dakar series, Desafio Inca, Ruta40, Mexcian 1000, BITD, baja, Taureg, Italian, Greek events, and of course many more especially in your side of the globe,,, they will give you the experience and confidence GREATLY NEEDED if you were to participate in Dakar.

I dont mean to insult in any way,, just share a bit of wisdom and there are plenty others in this forum that can shed even more light towards your dream.

Keep your dream alive!! Best of luck to you!!!
No worries, did not get that the wrong way ;)

I did a quick calcualting a few times already and since i already have wife and daughter (and still am studying and still only have a part time sidejob to go with studying, wife and daughter) i definately know that regarding the fact i am far far far far away from dakar.

Much of the rally dream also depends on what kind of job i get after i finished studying.

You did not insult me at all in any way! I love to get wisdom shared, thats exactly the reason i opened that topic :)

As far as i see the whole thing, first i will get my body in shape and increase my skills on the bike i currently own, specially in offroad and mechanical manners. In the time that happens i will save as much as i can. Besides i still have 1 year of studying left but theres nothing wrong in planning early i think! As for the bike, me thinks the street legal TA may be a good one to start small events (no rally raid) and get a feeling for the thing without aiming for victory.

After finishing my studies i will start looking for first rallys to join. Regarding the bike, i will save up for something different, depending on my financial situation in the future (the expensive dream would be an KTM 690 enduro modified to rally). Maybe i will get another TA that i can fully transform into an rally beast, the one i has now should stay street legal if possible. Or the one i have now will become rally bike and for the road i get something new? Dont know yet.

Please keep the wisdom flowing, it helps!

BR Raabe
Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
todd5774
Hillbilly

Oddometer: 196
You mention that you have no offroad experience at all, so I would start by addressing that, pick yourself up a cheap light enduro bike and start doing some very small events h+h, enduros and a good idea would be to attend a days introduction to enduro to learn the basics and see if you even like riding on dirt..

I can assure you that you will become an addict very quickly!
todd5774 is offline   Reply With Quote