Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
Bear Creek West OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by squawk77 View Post
Nice! My home turf

There's endless trails all over NB of all sorts, I know a lot of them and I still get lost There's a bunch of remote beaches between St Martins and Fundy I used to dirt bike to as a kid. Lots of unmarked caves, fossils, viewpoints etc. We never tried to go directly to Fundy though because it's a protected park

I'd be surprised if you made it there off road
At the time I would have killed for a local to guide us through - although the tension of the unknown was exhilarating!
Bear Creek West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #17
Bear Creek West OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdwrkr View Post
I'm in the trans lab is on my short list, i just cant get any of my wussy friends to come .. Might try it solo in october, but I'm afraid that may be pushing the season that far north.

you went right through some of my favorite places in NY, and VT.. keep the report coming..
It was cold in July (frost!) so I can't imagine what October would be like! Agreed NY and VT have some great roads - I've only just scratched the surface, must ride more...
Old 08-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #18
BlueRider85
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Great pics! I'm looking to do this ride next year!!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
iLander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
great!

glad to hear that the vest worked out so well for you: looks like it found a great home!

If my health ever improves & I can ride again, it a heated vest would be one of the first pieces of gear I'm buy!

85 Yamaha RZ500
82 Suzuki Katana GS550
79 Honda MT50

a la recherche du temps perdu
iLander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #20
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
....more

Well - common then...............

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
Bear Creek West OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nova Scotia

Our 5th day of riding was relatively uneventful. The dudes at Atlantic Motorplex turned out to be swamped – the mechanic gave me a bottle of seafoam and we pushed on. The bike issue was starting to really weigh on me at this point. I bought a new bike for a reason dammit – to be able to ride relatively worry free (for a while anyway), without having to be concerned about the thing blowing-up. Actually, blowing-up would be fine under warranty – more annoying to me, is a new bike that should be running flawlessly having a mystery problem that the mechanic can’t find arrggg.
Oh well, the bike hasn’t stalled and there was no appreciable loss of power, fluids are good so on we roll.

The highway is a deafening slog today – hot temps and need to cover a chunk of mileage to get us in striking distance for our ferry the next day. After a few phone calls back and forth to the Honda we decide to camp somewhere around the Bras d’Or lake area.

Fast forward a few hours to the Canso causeway, the girls turn one way to the east side of the lake and we go west… We stop in Whycocomagh only to call them and discover that we are too far apart to now meet up. Crap.
One bright spot is that we end up seeing a guy on a very new looking KTM 990, we had crossed paths with him a few times and end up chatting at the grocery store – turns out it’s the local ADV legend Kedgi! It was cool to meet even briefly – he passed on some wise words about the Translab. I didn’t realize until later that he was the Lobsters to Llammas ride report guy! Very cool – Hopefully we will cross paths again someday.

Our campsite in Whycocomaug – very nice spot for a bachelor’s meal of fajita’s and beer!

Kman working the lens.

And his stellar results!

Bras d’Or lake the next morning – stunner of a day!

Small cable ferry on the 223 to Little Narrows.

Small spit by MacCormack Beach Provincial park and Plaster Cove ponds.

I know – quit messing with your camera settings…

My first swim of the trip. Much warmer than Ireland was last summer!

Kman takes a rest after his swim.

A few more km of dirt before we hit North Sydney...
Old 08-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #22
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
and then what happened?

Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #23
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 688
In

Old 08-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #24
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 867
Great, great stuff. Ride on boys!!
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #25
Bear Creek West OP
Gnarly Adventurer

North Sydney here we come!

So at this point we are enjoying a great day of riding – finding some dirt, having a dip in the ocean fed lake. Thanks to the Garmin I am able to route us on some nice dirt roads and generally avoid the highway. The plan is to meet up with the families in Sydney for lunch and then make our way to the port for our boat to Argentia later in the afternoon.

Everything is going nicely to plan – we end up riding towards north Sydney on the 233 and then I propose to take a small detour from the main roads to get us over to Sydney proper. The alternate route looks to be a dirt road on my map, however the road quickly turns into a muddy track… we end up back tracking a bit as the road has waterholes several feet deep with steep banks on either side from people trying to drive/ride around the water. The trail is a bit ambiguous in spots and we are starting to get pressed for time – Kman and I are both feeling a bit guilty at this point as this portion of the trip is family time as well, and dallying in the woods is not really our first priority today. Next thing we see is a small car (cavalier of course!) beetling along this rugged trail – WTF! This guy is crazy – we stop to have a chat, the guy is in the car with his wife and some crazy huge dog in the backseat. I really regret not getting some photos on this part – a GoPro may be in order for the next trip. I find when things get super interesting (read tense), the last thing on my mind is snapping photos , but these are always the times I want to capture the most.

The cavalier driver asks us how to get off the trail network – I honestly have no idea as I'm feeling stressed and the map isn't really jiving with where we are, so we wish him luck and press on – a few km later the trail turns into an old rail bed, really cool ride as the vegetation had grown over top creating a tunnel effect. We splash along through some water and eventually get spit out right alongside of the 125 leading to Sydney, bonus!

We met up with the families at this amazing lunch spot in Sydney – I had some pulled pork sandwich/pita concoction, pure heaven.

Off the the ferry terminal - the bikes wait to get loaded. Met Eugene (in the brown sweater), a really nice guy who had just ridden his Harley from Oakville. He's NFLd'r and was going back to stay with family for a few weeks in the St.John's area.

The bike are loaded and ready to get strapped down - nice looking boat. It turns out this is the first run of the year - the staff on the boat was stellar! Unbelievably friendly and helpful. We spend a few minutes lashing down the bikes to the deck and then begin steaming towards NFLD. Very exciting!

Although - someone is a bit concerned about getting seasick...

Next stop the Rock!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #26
Bear Creek West OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Rock Part 1

Our first view of Argentia!

Required sign shot.

Our first few km are brisk and overcast - we end up selecting an alternate route east on 91 off of the highway and hitting some nice gravel for some dusty and loose miles to Colinet. We are absolutely loving it! Next stop Holyrood (not a typo) and then Pouch Cove - Our home base for the next week.

We made it to our rental house in Pouch Cove - and it's sunny!

The view from our house was stellar.

Enhanced view!

The boys wasted very little time settling in.

Porching at Pouch Cove. The Honda had already arrived as well as Tom and Lisa with son George - this week was shaping up to take it's toll on my liver...

The neighbour's collection of F150's.

Our house for the week. Julia hits another home run in the holiday accommodation booking through vacation rental by owner (VRBO).

A bunch of these guys were hanging around - very cool. Thanks to local ambassador Doug Murdoch (Dougger from Ride the Rock) - I'm still not sure how he arranges the sun and Whales to appear when folks 'from away' show up here.

Dougger giving us the goods on all things local - it was really cool to meet him - he rolled up the east coast trail (right behind our house), on his waaay to clean F800GS so I had to go have a chat - great guy, I would love to tip a few with him sometime as he did proclaim he was the former king of George St. Next trip Doug!

Testing out the 'comfort' seat on Doug's F800. Despite all of the complaints I have read, I have been fine on the rally seat mine came with. It may have something to do with spending so many years perched on one of these.

Some serious 'dad time' was in order.

~2200km and counting....

I didn't get to meet Lenny but I just know we would be fast friends. Quidi Vidi harbour in St. John's.

Tattoo possibility? Eric's Lager was my fav. We ran into my friend Eugene at the brewery. Twice!

The rib dinner on day one at the house was excellent - I think Kman may be having trouble reintegrating into civilized life here.

The crew is happy!

The 'super-moon' made an appearance - nice pic Julia!

Biscayan Cove at the top of the peninsula - very cool spot - apparently an old ghost town - we saw the graveyard and an old front step.

The dudes were having fun on the rocks.

Levi doing the wind in the hair thing.

Followed this little fella back down the road for a bit - tabernac! My first sighting - the power these guys must have is awesome. Which is greater, horsepower or moose-power? I'll have to ask Dougger next time.

Dropped my bike for an oil change and new from tire at the Toybox. They couldn't find (or feel) the hesitation problem. Damn! I wonder if anyone has tested the BMW roadside assistance in Labrador...hopefully I won't have to find out. The bike felt much smoother as they balanced both wheels - I had installed the tires but didn't do anything about the balancing. The difference was noticable, I will be getting proper tire installs from now on (anyone used dynabeads?). Keith had to add a lot of weights to my rear rim to balance the wheel - he actually questioned if I had lost a tire iron inside the wheel!

The also sell husky saws at the toybox - this little beauty is 119cc! I can't imagine slinging that thing around all day.

Julia's shrimp appetizer and Tom's fish taco meal were outstanding.

Some St. John's flavour...

Signal hill was very cool, as was the super sport parked in the lot.

Next stop - the fish market. Now this is getting serious!

The feast was epic.

Pouring rain - must mean we're due to hit the road.

Packing up after a great week - we really only scratched the surface, St. John's I'll see you again sometime.

The Honda is packed.

Next stop Bonavista!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #27
Bear Creek West OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bonavista

The destination was undetermined as we rode off pointing the bikes towards Bonavista. We had agreed to meet up for lunch - however the town we chose was actually comprised of three small towns so it was a bit of a fiascoe meeting up.

Side note: Rogers is completely useless in eastern Canada - there is no chance of getting in touch over the tele here folks.

Bonavista (hometown of Michael Rider - liked him better as a Hab), had a very remote and rugged feel. Small modest homes and fish huts clinging to the rock.

I can imagine living here you need to be very determined and self sufficient sort. I can't imagine how long the winters must feel here.

Julia wanted to search out puffins and some mound / cave things she had researched, so the Honda travelled down the east side towards Elliston. Kman and I enjoyed a beautiful ride on the west side of the pennisula until turning off on a very rugged #237 headed east towards Lockston Provincial Park.
The campground was ramped with RV's but still a nice spot. The weather was single digits with periodic rain.

Breakfast in Lockston Provincial Park - cold and wet!

The Honda was pressing on to Gros Morne today - we would try to make it as well. The rain and cold were a big factor - heated grips and heated vest have been a beautiful thing so far and would get a work-out today. I'm sooo glad I decided to pack the heated vest.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #28
canadianshark74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Great RR, Subscribed.....
canadianshark74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #29
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Lovin this report and loved this beer.

Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #30
Bear Creek West OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Kelsow! I also enjoyed your RR (and the iceberg beer!) very much!