Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Dustinbrwn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Arizona to Cancun, and anywhere in between!

Im new here so Ill introduce myself. Im Dusitn, and this is my first RR. go easy on me!. I love traveling, usually with a backpack and my feet but I got an idea this summer while working to buy a bike and ride through mexico. why not huh? I stumbled across this site and got TONS of info on bikes, adventure riding, locations, and everything I hope to need. Thank you all!
A little back ground.....
I work all summer, a lot. I travel around the country, seeing some amazing places pass by through a window, and get shrouded in work. many places I pass by I would love to visit on my own time, but the winter months just dont make the best opportunity for my style of travel. Cold and snow.
I am lucky enough to have just about all the time off I want in the winter, so I choose warmer, and more tropical climates. this time on a bike.
So after reading a bunch here, I got a good idea of the bike i needed. didnt care about brand, but more what was suited to me.....bmw, klr, xr, dr and so on..... (I am not new to ridding. Unfortunately I had to sell my last bike, a KTM 450 EXC a few years ago and have been without a bike since)
I knew I needed to get a bike, and then plan from there. So while out working in NORCAL I hit up craigslist to see what was available in my area. well, I wanted to keep my budget low, and people are proud of some of these bikes!
xr, no way....love honda, worked at a dealership for 2 years but just out of my budget. same with the DRs. I really wanted to get a KLR but they just seemed over priced, even for an older bike. So I found a 2001 f650 dakar for a decent price, and got it under budget sight unseen. (more on that later)
So the Bike was bought, now for the planning.
The Trip:
The only time frame I have is, I need to be on a plane and in Puerto Rico by Dec. 16th. Me and my girlfriend try to take a trip every year to travel, do some diving and just relax. She has a real job and school so I have to work around that.
My plan is to leave sometime in mid to late november, ride the copper canyon, then head east, then south and get to cancun by mid december. Fly from there to Puerto Rico on the 16th, then back to cancun on the 27th and then make my way back to the states....No real time frame, just ride....I do plan on ridding up the Baja to finish off the trip, but everywhere in between is open!
I Have places I want to visit on the way, and routes picked out but they can change as I go along.
I will try to update as I get ready for my trip with pictures and all. Got a bit of work done on the bike an still some to do yet, and im sure plenty of questions from you all!
Dustin
Dustinbrwn is offline   Reply With Quote