Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #136
tah1800
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
WTF?? Either Reaver killed one of those cute prairie dogs back in SD and is keeping it for a roadkill treat or he's still carrying the childhood teddy for road karma?

tah1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #137
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tah1800 View Post
WTF?? Either Reaver killed one of those cute prairie dogs back in SD and is keeping it for a roadkill treat or he's still carrying the childhood teddy for road karma?

or he just wants to attract children into his tent.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #138
tah1800
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
I forgot...good point Loutre. He should be behind bars.
tah1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #139
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,616
Quote:
I forgot...good point Loutre. He should be behind bars.
I've been behind bars for weeks now.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #140
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Quote:

That's my buddy Kong Jr. - KJ Fiddy Cent

He's been white-water rafting in a Glacial river in Squamish BC, again in Costa Rica, bungee jumping with me in this RR and has toured North America including "The Dragon" and "The Snake". He's got more miles on a bike than most of you FF's who claim to be "Gnarly Adventurers". He's strapped in a Touratec harness and keeps an eye on Bec.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #141
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Day 16 Vegas to Zion National Park, Utah.

Vegas was great, and we passed on the Hoover Dam thing and headed for the natural wonders available.

These are the days I live for! I would do another 2 hours in LA traffic for one of these days. UTAH ROCKS! I got wet 3 times today and it didn't dampen the fun.

We left LV and hit the "Pawn Stars" shop. On a Sunday morning, LV is dead. Everyone's busy . There was lots of parking and no lineup. We were surprised at the lack of inventory. Got my decals and a free shirt filled mug.

Leaving Vegas and it's crazy weather.

The parking lot attendant pic.

It was perfect riding weather, low 20's and a nice mist. The mist turned to rain and we got wet but whatever. The scenery just kept getting better. Then we hit Zion National Park.

Holy F! Bec said it's best scenery of the trip so far. For us flatlanders, it is.

BEER RUN! It was fine at our cabin where I unpacked, 10 mins away it was pouring at the store, then nice back at the cabin. Soak #2.

Oh give me a home...........

Redneckin' at the Ranch! My life is complete.

Dinner was Rainbow Trout. Wow. I didn't expect such fantastic food at a ranch out nowhere. A small but beautifully "Ranchy" decorated intimate dining experience.

After dinner we sat at the bonfire with an assorted mix of travellers and swapped stories in the now rainy conditions. I'm always amazed at how small the world is. A guy from India telling us about Sault Ste Marie, the Soo. It's a city near our home. Eventually the rain won out and in complete darkness, we walked the 1/4 mile to our cabin without too much trouble. Only because I left the light on.

Bec said we should put the cart before the horse and call this a Honeymoon as our trip so far has been fantastic and with all the varied landscapes, scenery and temperatures, it would be tough to beat regardless of extensive planning.

A day I won't forget. Tomorrow we may go horseback riding among the Buffalo.

Reaver screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 10:58 AM
Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #142
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
or he just wants to attract children into his tent.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #143
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Day 17 - Barely 200 kms. Zion to Grand Canyon North Rim.

Been there, done that, hope I never go back.

Are you sure you want to permanently delete "Day 17" from memory?"

YES!

I feel like I've been robbed.

OK, I'll elaborate.

Here is the weather at the entrance:

Here is the weather 10 mins later, 2 miles from the Welcome centre:

We can make it!

WRONG.

The weather at the Welcome Centre:

It started to mist, then a light rain. Just a mile to go, no prob. Then it all went to hell. There was no where to pull over safely, twisty roads, cagers and RV's wandering over the road and no real shoulder. By the time we found a spot to pull over, we were wet. Geared up anyway.

Here's the Grand Canyon, North Rim:

Wait (in the rain) for it:

The Lodge:

After waiting 5 hrs and going for broke:

The Lodge is powered by a small Dam down at the river. You can see the power lines on the left.

What's that thing?

That don't look right.

When we finally arrived at the welcome centre, it was PACKED. The lot was full so the back 40 it was. The temp had dropped to 10C and being wet, Bec said she was done for the day. She checked out the only accommodations (other than tent), the Lodge.

These guys have the Monopoly and with tour busses parked out front and about 50 other bikers hanging around, things looked bad for us. Sure enough, nothing. They wouldn't put you on a list, you had to come back at 3 pm for the "Auction" of cancelled rooms. Sounded like that anyway. We had stuffed ourselves at breakfast, meaning to do the South Rim as well that day (with it's cluster of lodgings), so we weren't hungry but sat in the Dining Room anyway. The waitress looked at our dripping pathetic selves and the mess we were making, smiled and said "Lunch Menus?" Sure, whatever. We have 3 hrs to kill anyway. Thought it was 2 hrs but the time change got us again. After bringing us coffee, she inquired about our situation and what we were up to. Explaining the rain and cold and no vacancy to her, she disappeared for a bit. She must've felt bad for us because she left her post and went to the front desk securing us a room! All things considered, we leapt at the chance and left her a real nice tip. At the front desk I stuttered "H h how much?" Bloody hell. Fine, anything for the Mrs.

It was rainy, cold and foggy. Our "Rim View" cabin window was useless, mostly for the trees being in the way then what little was left was white fog view. No tv, no microwave, no radio, NO WIFI, and a shared bathroom. Awesome. The cabin hadn't been updated since the 40's or whenever Pacific Railway built it. Advertised as "Rustic" meant they could get away with all that nothing. It would have been fine on a sunny day but it wasn't. So we counted ants to pass the time.

Finally I had enough and geared up with the laptop in tow and left on her bike for the store back up the road where rumour had it, they had WiFi. All unpacked with an expensive coffee, I read the sign about "upgrading the system" so sorry about your luck. Then a note about not connecting to "That Guy" with it's full strength reception because it "needed to do a virus scan before allowing a connection". Then it asked you to download a program. Yeah right. So I tossed the crap coffee and bought a helmet full of beer in single cans at $1 each. Clerk Dude thought I was stealing it or something. Two hands, a helmet, a laptop bag and a wet jacket. That's right, my purchase is in the helmet. He carded me.

Back to the expensive Lincoln Log Cabin with my cheap beer. All is not lost. By the evening it had cleared a bit so we went for a walk. The altitude was around 9000' so we were huffing while climbing the stairs and trails. I felt soooo out of shape. Had to rest a few times. We live at 1200'. Got a few pics before dark. I hid behind a rock and scared Bec with the camera flash . Later, she fake pushed me off the cliff as I was taking the pics . Payback's a bitch! The bar was too bloody expensive with Mr. Attitude as your server while the Restaurant would only take reservations......after 9 pm. So we booked for 9:15. While passing the time staring at the ceiling I said F it again and Bec went for overpriced pizza slices at the Deli.

I won't go on whining nor will I ever go back.

YMMV.

Reaver screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 10:43 AM
Old 09-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #144
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Day 17 - Barely 200 kms. Zion to Grand Canyon North Rim.

Been there, done that, hope I never go back.

Are you sure you want to delete "Day 17" from memory?"

YES!

I feel like I've been robbed.
I second that motion..... Now flying over it .... that's delightful....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #145
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Day 18. GC North Rim to Moab.

To date - 9000 kms.

We left that big hole they're trying to fill with tourist dollars in the rain and cold. We promptly got behind a "Canned" Harley Tour group. What's worse than getting behind a group of HD's in the twisties? A Tour group of inexperienced bikers on rented Hogs in the cold and rain - in the twisties. It's like watching a turtle race. Fortunately, only a small straight section is needed to pass the whole lot.

Brrrrrrrr. 9 C and rain.

Caution! Motorcycles Ahead

We scrapped our South Rim tour out of disgust and headed for more beautiful scenery to ride through.

UTAH!!!!

Did I mention............................UTAH ROCKS!

I just kept thinking "There's more? When does it end?" I have hundreds of pics from today. I'm in overload. This is definitely my favourite State. We're in Moab and it's at the top of the list of places we're coming back to.

Just a teaser....

Utah has had a lot of rain lately. Crews were busy clearing the roads. One highway was washed out so we had a detour.

I wonder how deep that is?

I only know of one way to check.

Into the Valley of the Gods. It was childs play crossing that river. Bec just said no. I offered to ride hers across but then she'd get wet boots walking. So she just waited.......no prob.

That's nothing Officer, just look away now...

A tourist trap. Looked interesting but we pressed on.

This town is called "Mexican Hat". OK, but it's a rock.

Reaver screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 11:09 AM
Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #146
Reaver OP
Outta Here

O Crazy Day

Day 19 - 900 kms. Moab to Burlington CO.

It's been an eventful but good day.

We were told by the Tourism People in Moab that we had to see "The Arches" National Park. So we left early and did the tour.

Having done all the paved roads and not wanting to back track, we spotted an OHV trail and thought "Why Not?" It leads back to the highway.....they say.

The roads were washed out in places. Bec maneuvered her bike through the mud and ditches and was pleased. Later she did a wee jump off a ramp. After that, with confidence she blasted down a soft sandy road.

The scenery was so good she stopped to take some pics.

She had been undecided as to which side of the road to stop at, according to CSI evidence.

Satisfied after a short break, she noticed her side case was loose. Luckily she had a mechanic in her entourage. A spare strap saves the day. Leave no trace. The turn signal lens pieces were collected.

Soon we were on our way to Denver. Back on the horse.

OK Jimmy, I'm going to take you up on your offer of assistance. I need you to say a prayer, do a dance or make a sacrifice. Whatever it is you do to alleviate excess worry and summon good luck.

You can stop worrying about Bec's water pump....and start worrying about my bike.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

I blew my head gasket in the mountains of Colorado. Bought a water bottle and it went another 450 miles before a dark roadside rad refill got us to a hotel. We shall see how this unfolds......

This just after I told Bec I don't plan to change our oil even though we just hit the 6000 mile mark with 1500 miles to go.

What? I just replaced it a couple of weeks ago.

Reaver screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 12:29 PM
Old 09-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #147
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Day 19 - 900 kms. Moab to Burlington CO.

It's been an eventful but good day.

I blew my head gasket in the mountains of Colorado. Bought a water bottle and it went another 450 miles before a dark roadside rad refill got us to a hotel. We shall see how this unfolds......

This just after I told Bec I don't plan to change our oil even though we just hit the 6000 mile mark with 1500 miles to go.

What? I just replaced it a couple of weeks ago.

Well if I may quote myself:

Quote:
Do you still brag about that "jet mechanic for dummies' program you took a couple of years back? You know that you couldn't even fix santa's magic sleigh with that knowledge.
Quote:
hope you'll get a cracked fuel tank, a bend rim, a bend shock bold, melted wheel bearings, melted headlight and some kind of stator failure Darrryl!
Funny thing that seal wasn't even on my list! someone up there has a funny sense of humour don't you think but he definitely is on my side
Throw that tank away and I might ask him for redemption
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #148
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
OK Jimmy, I'm going to take you up on your offer of assistance. I need you to say a prayer, do a dance or make a sacrifice. Whatever it is you do to alleviate excess worry and summon good luck.

You can stop worrying about Bec's water pump....and start worrying about my bike.

Well that truly sucks ........
Not an easy roadside fix ....
but if you are getting 450 miles between refills ...
that's good but still...

Any coolant in the oil?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #149
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Now what are the odds of that..... I have flogged mine over a dozen 13K+ passes, ehhhh, in Colorado, so the motor definitely can handle that. Good thing is even with Woddy, and your special friend Loutre... encouragements, I cannot think of a more ehhhhhh.... gifted person, this could happen to. You got skills dude..... time to use'em. Where in Colorado are you.....???? How can we help...????

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #150
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Quote:
Well if I may quote myself:

[COLOR=Magenta]

Funny thing that seal wasn't even on my list! someone up there has a funny sense of humour don't you think but he definitely is on my side
Throw that tank away and I might ask him for redemption

I agree on the sense of humour bit. I packed enough tools and parts to cover foreseeable problems but never would have bet on that one!

Ever notice Canada puts it's French all in one place - Quebec? We have a special place for you if mommy lets you come over and play.