Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #151
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Now what are the odds of that..... I have flogged mine over a dozen 13K+ passes, ehhhh, in Colorado, so the motor definitely can handle that. Good thing is even with Woddy, and your special friend Loutre... encouragements, I cannot think of a more ehhhhhh.... gifted person, this could happen to. You got skills dude..... time to use'em. Where in Colorado are you.....???? How can we help...????

I'm not blaming Altitude, more like a delayed reaction to the inferno we passed through to get to CO. Nuthin' but rain and cold there in the mountains. Google CO Flooding. Actually many States are having floods and washed out roads.

Did I check my oil Woody??? No! If I know there's coolant in there I'd quit right now. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm in Burlington CO, the I-70 right next to Kansas.

If this thing is running then I'm riding it. Shipping or God forbid, having it repaired here is NOT on the table. I can fix it at home for the cost of gaskets and beer. At least all this rain and cold 10 C weather is keeping my leg clean and the engine cooler. If this was LA again I'd be toast.

Next post: from wherever I get to...........

2100 kms to go. Wish me luck.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #152
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,368
Luck......Wished.

Erling

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #153
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,464
Thats sucks!!!!! I hope you get it sorted out. Still under warranty?!
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #154
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Wicked Good luck mate....

Hope you both finish the trip with out any more issue and make it home safe. As for now enjoy your trip
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #155
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
... How can we help...????
Yeah... what he said!
If you are going to tear into it and can't get parts we can hit local dealers all the way across ADVRider land and probably scrounge them up...

If you're not near anyone with a well-equipped shop and can visualize the tools you'll need but don't have, I'll bet between the rest of us we can put a tool care package together for you?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #156
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
""Here's my pathetic 2L gas can. If only someone would develop an auxillary fuel tank of about 8L or so and put it somewhere hidden like maybe behind the RH pannier opposite the muffler. I bet people would be screaming "Shut up and take my Money!" Oh well, maybe when I get to Calgary I'll think of something better""
Camel Tanks are shipping....
Question, Reaver: With the Re-Map for low octane fuel, have you noted ANY change in fuel economy ?
I would gladly give up TWO peak horsepower in exchange for 87 Octane fueling requirement, but I wouldn't want to impact the EXCELLENT fuel efficiency the F800 is capable of.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #157
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
... Did I check my oil Woody??? No! If I know there's coolant in there I'd quit right now. Ignorance is bliss.
Ride on ... wishing you well!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #158
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Power View Post
Camel Tanks are shipping....
Question, Reaver: With the Re-Map for low octane fuel, have you noted ANY change in fuel economy ?
I would gladly give up TWO peak horsepower in exchange for 87 Octane fueling requirement, but I wouldn't want to impact the EXCELLENT fuel efficiency the F800 is capable of.
I changed it right away so I can't say for sure. Some say it will lower MPG. All I know is that her 658 consistently uses 2 litres less per tankfull riding side by side. My Camel tank takes care of that.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #159
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

So Far So Good

Well then....

Day 20. 930 kms. Burlington CO to Macon Missouri.

Before leaving the hotel I went to see my good buddy John Deere across the street. He set me up with a vinyl hose to help me fill the rad without removing the side panel. I had been using a sports cap bottle of water and squirting it in the general direction of the rad. This eliminates the 75% waste.

We then had the joy of riding 5 hrs in full rain at 17 C temps. It cleared up for 35 kms where the kamikaze bugs launched "operation zero visibility" before being washed away with further downpours.

Finally, the sky cleared, the temps rose to 27 C, construction began and my red triangle lit as we passed the closed exits. We reached a gas station, stripped off the wet gear and hung it to dry while the engine cooled and grabbed a coffee.

My rad servicing:

It went 500 kms before the dash went into a seizure with all the lights blinking.

I came, I saw, I blew my gasket and bought the sticker....

Just to add to my woes, my second Zumo cradle quit today as well. So now it won't charge and I shut it down when it says "turn in 300 miles".

Passing through the rest of Kansas had me thinking "There's no place like home, there's no place like home . .... We passed "Castle Rock" formation, The World's Biggest Czech Egg (?), The Oz Museum and reluctantly, a "Live 5-legged Cow!" In the hotel later, Bec and I had a mock argument. "It's a 5-legged cow!!" "It's a tail." "It's a LEG!" It's tail with a shoe on it."

Bec says she's fine, thanks for asking. Her collarbone whacked and bent the windscreen while her knee smacked the frame. Her clothes are all wet cause the RH Vario bag leaks now for some reason.

So we made it over 900 kms closer to home. We had hoped to get home Fri night but it looks more like Sat now. As long as I make it under power I don't care.

Thanks for the offers of help. I'll figure it out. Having done over 20 K kms this year so far, I don't mind parking it for a bit.

Reaver screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 12:10 PM
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #160
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Bec says she's fine, thanks for asking. Her collarbone whacked and bent the windscreen while her knee smacked the frame. Her clothes are all wet cause the RH Vario bag leaks now for some reason. ...
Hey ... you tell her we're sorry we didn't ask about her!

On the other hand, your picture of her looking all pert and sassy after the "I couldn't decide which side of the road to park on... " picture pretty much put my mind at ease....
Old 09-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #161
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Home!!!

1300 kms/800 miles in one day, last 5 hrs at below 10C with a low of 4 (39 F).

We arrived frozen at 3 am but with both bikes happy.

Story at 11.

Need to call "Housekeeping" to deal with our 3 wk away disaster (2 cats alone, cooped up and unrestricted).

Then I can go edit and add the missing parts.

Stay tuned!

Reaver screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 07:54 PM
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #162
tah1800
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Welcome home Reaver. Glad you didn't have to make roadside repairs.
tah1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #163
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tah1800 View Post
Welcome home Reaver. Glad you didn't have to make roadside repairs.
Yeah - What he said!!!

Except for the BHG it looks like it was one hell'ova trip!
Old 09-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #164
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Thumb Home.........Sweeeeeet home

Glad you two make it home uneventfull
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #165
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Yeah - What he said!!!

Except for the BHG it looks like it was one hell'ova trip!
Sure was! Major highs and lows, in both temperature and in emotions not to mention altitude.

Reality is setting in and the trip seems distant already. Time now to build the "GS" shed and on Monday the contractors come to redo the front walkway and driveway. All new concrete stairs and patio with new asphalt. Best go change our oil now while I can still wreck the old driveway!

PS......I love that pic of Bec's skid marks before the crash. I had lost sight of her in my mirrors so I stopped and waited. Nothing. When I seen her standing in the road without her helmet I knew exactly what happened! She just pointed to her tracks leading up to her bike and they just told the whole story! In 3rd gear on the packed tire track, she wandered into the soft middle while looking at the scenery. Speed + soft sand + inexperience off road =

Thanks for all the good wishes and offers of help.

Having eaten all the food before we left, it's shopping time!