Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Epic Ride Reports
User Name
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
securety10 OP
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 139
Our original plan for the trip was to haul the KLRs from FL to NW Wisconsin and follow a route made up of tracks procured from here along with a mix of super slab as needed to Washington and then drop down to Oregon and run the TAT backwards with our final destination being back home in FL.
Well, that plan went to hell and we ended up renting a Penske truck that we dropped in Minneapolis and unloaded the bikes and started our journey. Problem was we were more than a week behind and there are concerns of being able to make it through the passes of Colorado on the TAT before they are snowed in. So, we scrapped the route I spent a ridiculous amount of time preparing and decided to play it day by day.

Fast-forward 7 days and we will be starting the T2 East West Tour of Idaho tomorrow morning. A few things weren't scratched from the original route, namely Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone.

Now on to the important part of the thread - pics pics pics

Not much in eastern SD other than corn, sunflowers and hay:

Have to stop by Wall, SD:

Wasn't real impressed with the over crowded tourist trap but found some of the items on display in the store interesting.
Guns designed to shoot from right shoulder using left eye:

And the multiple mounts:
Good old Jackelope

And some awesome non-typicals

They did have some good ice cream, but it won't hurt my feelings any if I never see the place again.

Next stop was Mt Rushmore:

I was impressed by the detail:

Next we hit the Needles Highway, which I highly recommend if you are in the area.

Next stop Bighorn National Forest...

securety10 screwed with this post 09-14-2013 at 04:54 PM
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
securety10 OP
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 139
In to Wyoming:

The original plan was to just run Hwy 16 through Bighorn, but that didn't last long:

Will he make it?

I guess so:

Highest elevation I had ever been at:

Could have easily spent days riding the trails in Big horn. You'd be riding for miles and all of a sudden the trail turned to private property or just disappeared. Sadly we had to move on.

Good steak burgers at this joint just outside Bighorn in Tensleep WY

We then headed west to Meeteetse, WY to bed down for the night.

On the way we ran across this site:

Must be where the red dust in the sky comes from:

And our stop:

It is a bit out of the way, but the rate was about half of anything else on our way towards Yellowstone. They even have a rate if you decide to bring your horse.
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
securety10 OP
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 139
There were 5 fires burning in Yellowstone when we entered the park. We were debating heading north to Billings through the park, but we decided to head out the western side, which seemed to be a smart move as we were leaving from lunch at the lodge it looked like they were stopping traffic going north.

The sky was fairly dark near the Lodge/Hotel at the northern part of Yellowstone lake. When we were eating at the lodge we heard discussions of evacuations as there were 3000 acres near it burning.

Customary Old Faithful shot:

Saw multiple buffalo. They don't seem to be to concerned with traffic/people. We saw 2 pass right between stopped cars from afar, then further down the road we came up on one just wandering down the road that ended up crossing in front of the truck ahead of us.

Can't remember the name of the are these were taken in, maybe Fire Lake?, but it was a one way side road and I am sure glad we took it:

Beautiful sunset heading out of the park:

And my favorite picture from the park:
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
securety10 OP
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 139
After leaving Yellowstone, our original plan was to head to Ketchum, ID and take a trail I had found on here north, but due to the fires around Ketchum we decided otherwise. We headed south on 20 and pushed on to Rexurg ID where we spent the night and then took the following day off.

After resting up we headed out of Rexburg towards the start point of the Tour of Idaho T2 trail. On the way we ended up going by Palisades Reservoir which was unusually low and turned out to be a great place to ride, once we figured out how to get down to it.

We ended up spending hours riding around the reservoir. At one point our GPSs showed us being right in the middle of it. We talked to a local that lived on a ranch that was taken via eminent domain when he was young to build the reservoir. His family actually went to court over the ordeal and ended up getting a better settlement than most others, but it sounds like it still wasn't much. He also showed us where the old highway went through and at one point we were on it, though it was covered in about 4 inches of mud.

We ended up renting a cabin for the night as we still needed to switch sprockets before we left on the Tour of Idaho and we had spent way more time than intended at the reservoir.
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Americus, GA
Oddometer: 10
Great pix! This ought to be interesting.
2000 Victory Sport Cruiser
Jimbo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
securety10 OP
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 139
We headed out to start the Tour of Idaho (this was 8-23) and ran across some beautiful scenery.

As you can see the sky is starting to darken as the day wears on. We maybe should have taken that into consideration when we came across this sign:

But it looked clear ahead of us and the locals we had chatted with said they were in a severe drought and hadn't had rain for some time (see reservoir pics above). Plus how bad could a "road" be anyway... Idaho and I have very different definitions of a road! There were multiple deep ruts that had no issue with sucking up your bike on the trip up the mountain, but other than a couple tip overs trying to cross the ruts it wasn't a big deal. Now, the East West version of Tour of Idaho is supposed to be big bike friendly, other than a few parts that are noted, which I payed careful attention to. We were only about 6 miles as the crow fly's from our first stop and the trail got really rocky, and remember the dark sky?

It was only drizzling at that point, but enough to make the rocks slick and a major PIA for fat guys on overloaded bikes, but then the real fun began... As we were getting the bikes back up it began to hail! Luckily the hail doesn't last long, but the drizzle continues and the sky is really dark.

We decide to push on as we only have a few miles left to town, but that didn't last long...

After moving down the trail about 300 yards the trail turned to a steep rocky decline and now the rain has really picked up. I ended up dropping my bike while just sitting as the clay was now so slick you could hardly stand.

We decided we were camping there for the night, but that turned into a disaster also as the rain wouldn't let up and there is no way to setup my sierra designs lightning ht 4 tent without it filling with water, we tried but failed miserably. We ended up with standing water in the tent which soaked into our sleeping bags and made it difficult for us to warm back up as we were both drenched and cold.

The next morning was clear and dry, but after hiking down the steep rocky decline on the trail, we decided we should turn back as if one of us when down it would be a major pain to get the bike back up and continue, besides the fact the other would have to hike from the top or bottom of the trail as there was no place on the downhill you could possibly park a bike. What sucked was it would be a 45 mile detour to bypass the steep decline :(. (We are from FL and not used to rocks and mountains, so we figured it would be better to be a bit conservative as we at least see the Pacific Ocean before someone got hurt/bike destroyed).

So we started back tracking down the rough "road" which now has multiple mud holes from the rain. After passing one nasty muddy rut I was looking in my mirror to ensure dad was still behind me and hit a mud hole goofy and went down. Wasn't much of a crash but I somehow managed to twist my knee, which immediately began to swell and was really painful. Getting on and off the bike was down right miserable, but I made the 40 mile trek to the nearest town. We then spent the next 4 days in a hotel with me icing my knee and hardly able to walk...
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
securety10 OP
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 139
After 5 days of no progress, while it was still difficult and painful to get on and off the bike, I decided we needed to move on. It hadn't rained at all since our night on the mountain, so we figured the trails should be decent. If they looked bad or became difficult we'd turn back as my knee still wasn't in the best shape for crashing. About an hour after we head out the storm clouds head in. Talk about awesome luck!!

We push on as the rain is west of us and looks to be moving to the north. See more beautiful scenery with some light rain here and there.

We started heading up a mountain, trail didn't seem to terrible.

Other than dad's run in with some bushes we had no problem getting to the top.

Though to be fair, the sagebrush attempted to kidnap me earlier in the day:

The decent on the other hand was a disaster...

Not sure if it rained more there or what, but as we are going down the mountain one second I'm on my line between 2 ruts on a decline then the next thing I know I am staring up at the sky and my ankle is twisted under the bike and hurts like hell (on the same side as my bad knee). Dad tries to come help me out from under the bike but can barely stand in the slick clay.

We finally manage to get my bike up and out of the slick section, which ironically looks exactly the same as the perfectly dry section above and below it. I go back to where I went down to try and determine what I did wrong, I figured I lost my front end slipped as the crown between the 2 ruts was only about 4 inches wide before it sloped to either side. But looking at the tracks my front tire was almost perfectly centered and then all of a sudden the rear was gone. Unsure of what I did wrong we continue on.

About 400 yards down the trail I'm again staring at the sky again and now my ankle really hurts (same side again). Same situation. Can't differentiate what is slick and what isn't by sight. After resting for a while we decided it was best just to walk the bikes down the ruts, which was a major pain in the real slick sections.

We make it out of the mountain and find a hotel in Burley, ID where we waste another day with me icing my ankle.

As I was icing my ankle dad attempted to clean the bikes. He ended up having to chisel the clay off the bikes.

Behind the sprocket cover:

Even though these crashes were low speed my crash bars did not hold up well at all. While I consider them a sacrificial part I really thought they'd take a bit more abuse (or higher speed impact).

The right bar bent back far enough it pushed the shroud back and even dented my exhaust. The left side was pushed way out. Needless to say at this point I was really regretting not going with an IMS tank!

I knew Happy Trails was in Idaho so I decided to give them a call as I had heard they offer discounts for replacement bars. I really hated to put out more money for bars I wasn't happy with, but there would be plenty more crashes to come before this trip was over and these bars weren't going to take much more.

While not on our route Boise was only 165 miles from Burley and in the general direction we were traveling. After some discussion we decided to give up the Tour of Idaho as we were already on the 8th day of what was only supposed to be a 3 day trip across Idaho, and we weren't even half way across the state yet...

The next morning we headed to Boise to get me a new set of crash bars.

They inspected the bars and were surprised they bent so bad (as was I!), and sad they hadn't seen that before. As I expected they said they weren't salvageable.

So I bought another set and we started to change them in the parking lot. Don't think this is supposed to look like this:

Luckily the upper bars weren't as mangled as thought and I was able to straighten them enough to be useable, so I ended up just needing to replace the above piece which was much cheaper than the whole set.

Now while I'm not happy with the bars, I have to say the customer service was awesome. I didn't have a couple tools I needed to change the bars and they let me borrow some of theirs and even opened a set they had for sale to let me use one of the adapters.

By the way, it didn't rain again while we were in ID...
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
securety10 OP
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 139
After installing the new crash bars on at Happy Trails we spent the night in Boise at the Red Lion Hotel which we got really cheap on priceline and they even gave us a room with a walk out deck to the pool/hot tub area. It was so nice we considered staying a second night, but decided we need to move on.

If you've never looked at priceline for hotels when traveling I'd highly recommend it. They have an option to bid or have what they call "Express Deals." Options are usually more abundant in more populated towns and if there isn't anything special going on. Many times we were able to get decent hotels for $50-$75 even though the hotels stated rate was $100+.

**Tangent** Red Lion must be a mainly western chain but they have really nice hotels which we were able to get really cheap on priceline on a couple of occasions. Red Lion was also where we stayed in Pocatello, ID after I hurt my knee. When we arrived I was covered in mud and as I pulled out my wallet clumps of mud fell on the floor of the lobby. The women behind me had a look of disgust on her face. Luckily the desk clerk didn't seem to upset and even cleaned and sanitized my license and credit card as my wallet was also covered in mud. /Tangent

The next morning we started a 500 mile trek to Medford, OR via Highway 20 and then 97. For the first couple hundred miles I wasn't real impressed. I expected Oregon to be mainly huge old growth forests when in reality much of it is part of the Great Basin with little in the way of forests. Once we headed southwest out of Bend, OR the scenery became more what I was expecting.

Medford was going to be our home base for the next few days so we could head south to see the redwoods without hauling all our gear.

It was a beautiful ride from Medford, OR to Crescent City, CA via the Redwood Highway (199).

We stopped by Trees of Mystery

I know I've seen similar images in other ride reports, but here is Paul and Babe:

The redwoods did not disappoint! The only problem was it is nearly impossible to get any sort of representative image of the size of these trees with my much to be desired photographic skills.

This tree was very interesting to me:

The "family members", for lack of a better term, were bigger than most trees I've seen.

Elephant tree:

Old root structure:

This tree is 297 ft high and 19 ft in diameter:

They had a sky lift that goes to an upper viewing platform. I was curious how the skyline was installed due to the terrain. The operator said they had a helicopter place the beams. I wish I could remember the number he told me, but I think they had calculated it out to costing ~$4000/minute for the helicopter services.

Interesting info:

Some "art":

Trees have seen a lot:

And we couldn't leave without visiting one of the drive thru trees:
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
securety10 OP
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 139
I would have liked to have done some hiking around Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park as there are supposed to be a couple of huge redwoods that are not to hard to get to, but my ankle and knee were already bothering me from what walking we had done. (Think I might need to learn how to crash better ).

We spent a total of 4 days in Medford and then moved on towards Port Orford via the Rogue River National Forest.

It had fairly recently burned and as we traveled through the winding single lane road we ran across forestry workers that looked to be loading up heavy equipment to haul back out.

When we got within a half mile of the coast the weather became cool and the fog became really thick. I had never seen anything like it, you could literally see the waves of fog moving in off the ocean.

At one point the fog was all around us, but not right where we were sitting.

We reached our destination for the day which was the Sea Crest Hotel.
On a clear day, the hotel offers some excellent views.

securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Formerly H20Pumper
Bob's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Corral de Tierra CA, Ketchum ID
Oddometer: 2,725
Nice ride!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
securety10 OP
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 139
For most, these pictures would signal successful completion of the TAT, for us they are just the beginning.

[In the background is Battle Rock, named for a battle that took place between the natives and early European settlers in which the settlers took up position on the rock.]

Dad didn't want to deal with the sand:

The "port" was worth a look and is just down the road. They use the cranes to take the boats in and out of the water. It's the only drydock port on the West Coast.

After a lazy day in Port Orford, we got up the next morning, stopped by a local establishment for breakfast and loaded up the GPS tracks to start our backwards TAT adventure.

We were quickly rewarded with some wonderful views:

We ran into a minor inconvenience when the tack took us to a road that was closed due to storm damage. Since the sign was off to the side and not blocking the road we decided to go have a look. Well the road wasn't damaged, it was just plain gone.

We back tracked a few miles to the closest bypass we could find. On the bypass a guy in a crew cab ford put me in the ditch when he came flying around the corner on the single lane dirt road, but luckily I was being cautious and I was on the uphill side of the mountain as I did not want to end up as a hood ornament (or drop off the side of the mountain).

~30 miles from Glendale we ran across another road closed sign. This one actually blocking the road. There was a letter noting the area was closed due to fire along with a map of the are showing what was closed. The problem was the names on the letter did not match road names we could find on the map and neither matched those on the GPS. There was a road to the right but we weren't sure if it is also closed and it looked to be at least a 25 mile back track to go to the highway. We heard some forestry equipment close by so we decided to go ask them the best way to get to Glendale. The women we spoke with said we could just follow the road we were on, but if anyone asks, she didn't say so...
Thought that was a little weird, but we continued on. After a while it became apparent why she said what she did. The track does run the highway a ways and as we came out of the forest to the highway everything was burnt. Trying to determine where to go 2 more forestry workers pulled up and started yelling at us for being out there. He claimed we had to have gone thru multiple road closed signs when we actually only went by one . I guess he thought we came up the highway. Anyway he told us that if a deputy caught us out there it was an automatic $1600 fine, plus during extreme fire danger times that specific county requires vehicles to have a fire extinguisher or face another $150. Needless to say we scooted out of there as fast as the poor KLRs would go. We did run across one more forestry worker but he was much nicer and just wanted to ensure we weren't going back into the area. Luckily we made it to Glendale sans any additional trip costs...

We decided to head up I-5 ~25 miles to Roseburg for a night in the Super 8 as we decided we were going to run Hwy 138 east from Roseburg until it met up with the TAT as we had little interest in going back into the areas with high fire danger!
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
securety10 OP
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 139
Day 2 - Backwards TAT Adventure

The TAT crosses 138 about 70 miles east of Roseburg, so we super slabbed it to that point. While I'm not sure we would have had any issues on the TAT east of Glendale, we did see smoke to the south of us a few times from 138, so we were glad we didn't take any chances after our previous days experience.

The TAT heads NE where it crosses 138 and heads towards Crescent, OR through the Umpqua National Forest. This was a nice stretch and I wished I had stopped for a few pictures. I did have the GoPro running multiple times, but it probably won't be until after this trip is over before I get around to processing the video.

We arrived in Crescent, fueled up and took a break to grab some lunch and then headed out. What we found next was a maze of criss-crossing forest roads and the first point at which it started to get really dusty. I'm glad we had the GPS tracks as none of the forest roads were posted with names. About 10 miles down the trail dad stated his bike wasn't running well. First thought was air filter, so we stopped to inspect.

As we were accessing dad's air filter this gentleman pulled up wondering if we knew where we were:

Dad's response was "Yeah, we are right here."

The gentleman was out scouting for hunting locations on his DL1000, which I was quite impressed with. He only had an atlas, and while it had all the roads listed, as I said earlier few were posted. He said that was due to locals pulling down the signs as they did not want others out there hunting.

As dad finished up reinstalling his clean filter skin I tried to help the guy figure out where he was. He ended up just waiting for us to finish up dad's bike and then followed us out to one of the bigger gravel roads. I have to say I'm not so sure I would have wanted to deal with his bike on a couple of the trails we went through as the ruts were pretty bad and there was also a fair amount of washboard in spots, would think the suspension would suck on that.

As we were headed out I had a black bear run out in front of me and down the trail a ways, sadly I didn't have the GoPro running (had just turend it off!) and the bear was long gone before I got my camera out.

Once we made it to the gravel road the gentleman on the DL1000 headed north and we continued east on the TAT. At one point I took a wrong trail and dad didn't see where I went. We spent a half hour or better trying to find each other and after that we decided we needed a plan for when/if we get separated again.

We followed the TAT until it turned south but then we continued on east to get to Hwy 31 as Fort Rock was just down the road.

Fort Rock is a volcanic landmark called a tuff ring, located on an ice age lake bed in north Lake County, Oregon, United States.[3] The ring is about 4,460 feet (1,360 m) in diameter and stands about 200 feet (60 m) high above the surrounding plain.[4] Its name is derived from the tall, straight sides that resemble the palisades of a fort. -wikipedia

It was also used as a landmark for settlers headed west.

After viewing Fort Rock, we switched from our 14 tooth counter sprockets to 16 tooth and followed 31 south to NF-28/Box Spring Rd which heads south. The TAT parallels NF-28 (and follows it for a short distance), but NF-28 and Box Spring are windy single lane paved while the TAT was mostly on gravel. We decided to stick with the paved to sustain our speeds to try and make it to Lakeview before dark (dad doesn't like riding trails after dark).

We arrived in Lakeview and scouted out some supper and started looking for a place to crash for the night. The Best Western is expensive as was the Fremont Inn. It came down to the Lakeview Lodge Motel or the Executive Inn & Suites. We first scoped out the Executive Inn & Suites and it didn't look to impressive so we called Lakeview Lodge for a room rate. Lakeview Lodge was cheaper and turned out to be a much nocer looking place. The owner was very friendly and was interested in our ride as he has many riders come through. The room was also nice and clean. I highly recommend the place.
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
securety10 OP
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 139
Day 3 - Backwards TAT Adventure

The TAT heads SE from Lakeview, OR and skirts the NE edge of California for ~20 miles. There were some beautiful views in that little section of California.

Once we reached Fort Bidwell, the track turned east toward Nevada.

I was personally hoping for a little more interesting fort that could actually be accessed.

More beautiful views:

Looking back up the pass from half way down:

At the bottom:

We did multiple miles of fast gravel, but there are a few sections that aren't quite as fast. The ruts and sagebrush were conspiring against dad in this section:

At least he got up and going again without issue:

Really is a whole lot of nothing out there:

Cows were taking advantage of what little shade they could find:

After a while dad's bike began acting up. I wonder why...

Sure glad I purchased filter skins for this trip.

Saw plenty of dirt devils:

Sheldon National Antelope Refuge stayed true to its name:

Another great view in the refuge:

~25 miles outside of Denio, NV we slid over to Hwy 140 and road into "town." Denio was one of our fuel points so we weren't impressed to see this:

We decided we could make it to McDermitt, so we grabbed some supper and pushed on.

The scenery began to change:

I seem to have a problem with paying attention to where I am going, just so hard not to look at all the different scenery:

The picture doesn't do it justice, but there is a decent decline off the edge there. I veered off the trail into soft sand towards the edge and manged to get stopped before going off, except when I put my right foot down there was nothing there. I managed to do a somersault off the bike (guess you can't be to fat to do one ) but luckily the sagebrush caught me (and luckily the bike didn't follow!).

It was a bit of a fight to get the bike back upright and once we did we decided there was no chance we were going to make it to McDermitt that night.

We found a nice spot to set up camp and were rewarded with some beautiful views.

securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
securety10 OP
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 139
Day 4 - Backwards TAT Adventure

I really need to work on my astrophotogrophy skills as the night sky was absolutely gorgeous. The multitude of stars with the black backdrop (and no big city glow) was something I wish I could have captured, but I was unsuccessful.

The next morning I snapped a few more pictures from around camp:

Before leaving camp we changed back to 14 tooth cs as the terrain was becoming a bit slower and more technical. I also decided to dump the fuel from my 2 gallon Rotopax in the bikes to shed the weight off my rack (even with suspension setup for my weight, the tire smacks my Leo Vince mid-pipe before the suspension bottoms out, it's really bad with the 16 tooth cs and even put a small hole in the mid-pipe).

We quickly realized we chose a good spot for camp as we would not have found another one before dark had we continued on the previous night.

Over the last few days dad had been having intermittent rear brake problems, well now when he could have really used them they completely quit.

Dad ended up having a difficult time with a long rocky down hill:

I found a spot level enough to park my bike and then hiked up to help him. We got him up and going again.

I hiked back down to my bike and we continued on only a few hundred yards and:

I again found a place to park my bike and hiked up to help him. It's amazing how far away the bike can seem when you are climbing up and down rocky trails on a bad knee and ankle...

Luckily he made it the rest of the way down the mountain without incident.

Some of the route wasn't bad at all.

The route runs by this old homestead that is in the middle of nowhere:

Disaster Peak:

Umm, I think I'm doing it wrong

This somehow resulted in a broken kill switch. Luckily with some of the scavenged plastic pieces, one of the metal tabs, and some electrical tape I was able to get it working again as I did not want to butcher my harness. Though now I have no kill switch, which sucks as I use it regularly.

It was a a bit of a pain to get the bike up again (and also get on it) as it drops off fairly steep to the left and the trail has a fairly good bank and quickly descends into a small, but steep gully.

Not to long after that dad went down on a steep sandy switch back. I had to hike a good bit to get down and help him. He had already gotten the bike back up and gone down again in the time it took me to get there. The trail was steep enough we had a heck of a time getting him going again as his rear tire would just dig into the dirt. With him walking the bike and me lifting up and pushing the rear we managed to get it out of the ruts. He got on again as I held the rear of the bike, then I followed and pushed as long as I could. Success, he made it up! Only problem was now I have to hike back to my bike at the top!

I was a bit concerned about dad a few times as we were trying to get him going as at one point he was slumped over his bike and not looking to healthy. But when I finally finished hiking up to where he was, next to my bike, he was relaxing on the ground and looked much better, now I needed the break...

After resting a bit and consuming a fair amount of water we continued on. We ran across 2 guys on KTMs that were riding from Colorado to I think Denio, they were the first bikes we had seen. We chatted with them a while and then we headed our separate ways.

The terrain became even more sparse:

The guys on the KTMs said the rest of the way to McDermitt was pretty easy, but dad had other ideas:

He made it through a real bad section of ruts that nearly took me out, yet he somehow managed to go down when he was trying to switch sides I guess.

He was still just laying there once I finally finished the hike up to him:

On this section you end up with multiple gates to open and close:

When we finally made it to McDermitt and started to fuel up it became clear it was a good move to bring the Rotopax as we consumed ~11.5 gals of fuel in the 2 bikes between Denio and McDermitt. Doubt we'd have made it without the additional fuel. We were both exhausted from all the "fun" so dad inquired about a room here:

(which is at the gas station).

They claimed to have satellite TV and wifi. I asked him to ask specifically about the wifi and he did and they stated all rooms had it.

Well it turns out the wifi didn't work (no internet access). Seemed it just needed a router reset as I could connect to the repeaters but not the main router, but when we informed the person at the gas station/desk, she claimed to know nothing about it and couldn't have cared less. The TV was also an old 13" POS with a goofy hue and half the channels had broken audio. There was also a ridiculous amount of flies in the room, the ac didn't work correctly, and the bathroom shower was moldy. I've stayed in some pretty crappy places, but this place took the cake.

The next morning was the straw that broke the camels back. We were doing a bit of maintenance on the bikes and when we were ready to leave dad turned the key in. The attendant informed him he would be charged a second night as we were 10-15 minutes late checking out, even though they never gave a checkout time and it was not posted anywhere in the room. The attendant claimed the maid skipped the room and it couldn't be cleaned, which it could have been if she'd have asked as the only thing that was in there was my laptop and inReach which were charging, plus the door was open and it was clear most of our crap was out. Anyway dad went and told the maid our room could be cleaned as she was in the room next door and he has since watched his card as he intends to dispute if they have the audacity to charge a second night.

I highly recommend avoiding the place!!! There is another place across the street and they sure can't be any worse, the owners/workers might even be friendly!

Enough with my rant about the McDermitt Motel, but it sure pissed me off. Anyway, the section between Denio and McDermitt turned out to be quite the PIA for us. We spent about 5 hours total on just that ~60 mile stretch.

Dad ended up going down once more just before we got to the gravel road that headed into McDermitt for a total of 6 times in 4 locations. I give him credit though as a few of those spots had to have been tough with no rear brake and the fact he was trying to be a bit more conservative probably resulted in a few of those crashes. I ended up doing my somersault drop the previous night, along with a second drop the next morning when I was trying to get in position to take a picture of dad and then my actual crash where I broke my kill switch. It probably would have been less of a PIA (at least for dad, especially if he had a rear brake) going east to west as the steep switchback would have been downhill and the rocky climb would have been uphill.
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
SFMCjohn's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA, 94102
Oddometer: 925
Originally Posted by securety10
Hey securety10,

Really enjoying your ride report ... My wife and I ride (over) loaded KLRs in the west and fall over a bunch ... lots of fun, with the right attitude, which you and dad seem to have ...

Plus, you take much better pics than we do ...

Looking forward to more!

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
__________________ Baja, KLR, & '73 Tiger Ride Reports
San Francisco Motorcycle Club, Est. 1904
Let's Ride!: BAARC and Old's Cool Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015