User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #46
lakota OP
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,892
Day 11 Sept 3 Chibougamau to Jackman ME

Bottom line up front. Today I left the ride to head for home on pavement. I was not comfortable with the air loss from my front tire after the ding it and I decided to drop out. I could have just gone around the dirt sections and rejoin on pavement but that didn't appeal. The sooner I get home is the sooner I get to repair or replacement. A thousand thanks to Bruce and Dana for taking me along on this ride and to Keith for tolerating my eccentricities. The ride was fabulous and I recommend the James Bay area to everyone.

It was raining when we got up and packed and the forecast was for rain all day. After gassing up we head down Rte 167. The rain was on and off but the road was fine for riding - no frost heaves to speak of and not much traffic

As we came up on the turn which would take us onto the dirt I announced my decision, which actually came to me as we were headed down the road. The best part of this was that they couldn't talk me out of it. The bad part was that I didn't give them the chance to do so.

Last looks

Bruce and Dana

Keith

The road for them

heading out

I continued south on 167 and cut over to look at Lac St Jean - it was a lot bigger than I imagined

Farther down the road I came across this seaplane. Some guys have a lift at their dock to keep their boat out of the water when not in use. This guy has one for his float plane

Along the way I spotted this church and went into town to try to find a good place to get a picture (fail)

But I did find this waterfall in the village

Never get tired of scenery like this

Or road shots like this

Riding through Quebec City was a challenge. Hate traffic on a busy road in I place I don't know. The good news was that after I crossed the St Lawrence River I saw blue skies and the temperature went up to 70F. This sign was a welcome sight

And then the border crossing.

No one there but me and the border agent. As in crossing into Canada he was more interested in my ride and age than anything else. Did you ever wonder how the moose know where the crossing zones are?

Finally arrived in Jackman and found this place

Recommended!!!

Today's ride 418 miles.
Tomorrow hope to see neat stuff on the back roads of Maine.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #47
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,047
The right decision Marty... I would have been so fixated on the tire, the rest if the trip would have been diminished. Not like you can stop into the local dealer and make it all better. Be safe on the last legs of the trip... Now I'm home sick... Jackman on 201 goes right to my hometown. If you take this road... Stop into Winslow at fort Halifax and get a photo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Halifax_(Maine)
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #48
lakota OP
Geeser

Looks interesting but...
my plan is to go to the B52 crash site near Greenville and then head over to Mt Washington
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

Old 09-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #49
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota View Post
Looks interesting but...
my plan is to go to the B52 crash site near Greenville and then head over to Mt Washington
So much for straight home . You crazy Sailor...See you soon.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:07 AM   #50
lakota OP
Geeser

News

Yesterday Keith had a fall and was taken to the hospital in Dolbeau-Mistassini.
He has a mild concussion. Bruce and Dana will be staying with him till it all sorts out. Looks like his son will drive up with a truck to get him and the bike.
Spot 911 works as advertised
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

Old 09-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #51
VTbeemer
Traveler

Oddometer: 335
News

So sorry to hear of Keith's get-off.

I am up her in VT and will reach out to him to see if I can lend a hand in any way. You guys can PM me with any pertinent info.

Dan

14' R1200GSW- 93' R100GS/PD- F650GS- 94' R11RS
08' WR250R- 95 R100R- K75s- 57' R69
77' R75/7- 06' Ducati S4R Monster- 74' XL 250
VTbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #52
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,081
Bummer, hope he heals fast.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #53
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,937
Quote:
. A thousand thanks to Bruce and Dana for taking me along on this ride and to Keith for tolerating my eccentricities. The ride was fabulous and I recommend the James Bay area to everyone.
Marty--

Always a pleasure to have you as a wingmate! See you back in MD.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #54
GF-kam
dude

Oddometer: 7
I hope Keith is doing better.

Sorry to hear you're heading back home lakota. Are you heading for Bob's in Jessup for repair or closest dealership in Maine?

I cannot remember if you had the rim or spoke wheels (like on f800GS). Would the spoke wheel have prevented the initial dent, which in turn is causing the slow leak? Or just a fluke?

Let me know if there's anything I can do from my end in Virginia? I am only 45 minutes from Bob's. Happy to call Bob's to see if they have a new wheel and have it shipped out to you somewhere. I also could post list of closest dealers along way.
GF-kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #55
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,917
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #56
lakota OP
Geeser

Day 12 Sept 4 Jackman ME to White River Junction VT

Another bottom line up front - I may have been hasty in withdrawing from the dirt sections - the tire appears to be holding since I aired up.

So I am up and out before 0730. Since I am missing the dirt parts of the ride I decide to add in ideas in talked about months ago and dropped as plans matured and the schedule filled up. On the road I see the following

I wonder how they collect it

Then I see this flying moose

There is a very involved legend about it that is too complicated to explain here.

My first stop will be outside of Greenville ME. On 24 January 1963 a B-52C Stratofortress with nine crew members on board lost its vertical stagilizer due to buffeting stresses during turbulence at low altitude and crashed on Elephant Mountainin six miles (9.7 km) from Greenville. The pilot and the navigator survived the accident. The GPS puts it at about 12 road miles. The road turns to dirt but I am too committed to turn around. (it is a very easy road to ride)

Lots of signs showing the way

There is even a place to pull off the road when you get there

Entrance

Then you walk up this trail

And see stuff everywhere

I head back to Greenville to have breakfast. Dana had been giving grief about always having an omelet for breakfast so I decide on pancakes.

And now I remember why I eat eggs and not pancakes on a ride. They just don't go down right an I am uncomfortable the rest of the day.
The next stop is to be Mt Washington so I head across Maine on some great roads. Liked these guys

I saw this sign on Rte 2 3 years ago and I laughed then and again today

Get to Mt Washinton

and the road is closed to motorcycles due to high winds. I am 0 for 2 on attempts to ride up (last time Travis Pastrana had the road to himself working on setting a speed record for the ascent)

The it's down to Conway and head west on Rte 112 aka the Kancamagus Highway. The Kancamagus Highway is a 34.5 mile scenic drive along NH's Rt. 112 in Northern New Hampshire that is well known as one of the best Fall Foliage viewing areas in the country. The Kancamagus Highway is now designated an American Scenic Byway. It is a good ride. I keep heading west because I do not want to deal with Boston.

Now I am in White River Junction VT planning on the push for home tomorrow

Today's ride 380 miles
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

Old 09-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #57
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
Should have read this earlier, you are at my back door (Woodstock VT), alas I left this morning for PEI, NS, Cape Bretton, and perhaps Labrador. We will see what time permits... Be safe and enjoy the ride south...

PS take VT 123 west to the Ticonderoga ferry, then you can hop on the northway south to the catskills, hence avoiding the city, lots of pretty roads, but 100 to 123 is a great ride on Tarmac
Old 09-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #58
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,132
Hate to hear this..... Awful.

I don't blame you for taking the road more traveled. Discretion is the better part of valor.

Quote:
Yesterday Keith had a fall and was taken to the hospital in Dolbeau-Mistassini.
He has a mild concussion. Bruce and Dana will be staying with him till it all sorts out. Looks like his son will drive up with a truck to get him and the bike.
Spot 911 works as advertised
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #59
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Bishop's in Jackman.

Did you have the Pizza?
Old 09-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #60
lakota OP