Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #16
OK Lucinda OP
n00b

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Sounds like you are putting yourselves in unnecessary danger there knowing what is going on, not to rain on your parade but if it is that bad then maybe you should reconsider standing on the front line and stay back a bit.
We thought we had asked the right questions. Santos had spoken at 1:00 and things during the early afternoon were quiet. The main square, where the problems started the night before was quiet. We asked a local police if there were going to be more problems - he said he didn't think so.

We heard some loud chanting a couple of blocks back from the square. We discussed whether to go and check it out. Based on the policeman's info we decided to check it out. OK, maybe not the best move, and we won't repeat it. When we arrived, no question the atmosphere was supercharged. We stayed on edge, very ready to move, specially since we were the only gringos.

What took us by surprise was that it exploded instantly. The locals were as shocked as we were.

Out of interest there was a moment when the situation was very sketchy. As the various exposions were going off, and people were scattering and hiding, the army was closing down the intersections all around us to contain it. (Once again, a lasting memory will be how fast the army moved - they were moving on moto's and trucks at very high speed). We had an opportunity at one intersection and took it. At no point did we panic or run. The second bad moment was when there was a huge exposion in an underground parking lot immediately in front of us. It was a problem moment because we were unable to move forwards or backwards. About three minutes later we took a chance, we didn't have much choice, and moved by it fast as the next intersection looked clear. The air was full of tear gas at this point, although we were blocks away from the worst of it by this time.

There's a ton more going on but that much gives a flavour of it.

Obviously we're not to going to repeat our error.
OK Lucinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #17
GSABest
El Adventurero

Oddometer: 320
Thanks for the additional info... Sounds like laying low, very low, until this thing blows over or settles down substantially would be prudent. Even more so if there are anti-gringo sentiments. Once again... Stay safe!!

Past Rides: 1990 VFR 750 (2007 - sold to my son), 2000 RC51 (2000 - 2003), 1990 VFR 750 (1996 - 1999), 1989 Yamaha TDR250 (1998 - 1999), 1989 NT650 Hawk GT x 2 (1998 - 1999), 1982 Honda Interstate (1982 - 1983), 1981 Honda CB900F (1981 - 1982), 1980 Honda CB900 Custom (1980 - 1981), 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2 Custom (1978), 1974 Kawasaki 400 Triple, 1976 Honda XL 250
GSABest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #18
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 755
so here's the part i can't understand: colombian FARMERS cannot compete with american imports? i'm curious, besides maybe wheat, which doesn't grow really well in the tropics, and corn what agricultural products are being imported into colombia from the US at such rock bottom prices the colombian farmers can't compete?

not trying to beat the american nationalist drum here, but it sounds to me like they just don't like the free market/free trade agreement which allows colombians to CHOOSE where they buy their products from.

anyway, hope it blows over soon and no one gets hurt.
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #19
OK Lucinda OP
n00b

Last night was quiet. The bars and restaurants were open.
Still no motos allowed on the street today here in Pasto. Not sure what's happening elsewhere with motos - I see from other threads that ADV'ers are still riding around up north.
A big daytime protest scheduled.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,592
We are now stuck in Guatape because of road closures from the truck blockades/strikes so will be here another night, no violence here whatsoever just road blocks.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #21
OK Lucinda OP
n00b

A military officer tells me that the conflict down here is going to last 10 more days at least. Not sure how this fits into what's happening elsewhere. It looks like it's going to be an extended stay in Pasto though.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #22
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

No point in us leaving as we can't go to Medellin as the roads are blocked, will see what come for it tomorrow, been watching the news here and it seems Medellin, Bogota and Carli are the hots spots.

Hmmmm, looks like we will become very familiar with this area
Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
OK Lucinda OP
n00b

Possible road openings within hours. Call your local police for updates.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #24
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Asking local police this am they said motos ok to go so we shot the gap.

We are in Medellin now, safe ride through, police and militars outnumbered the locals along the way.

Lots of fires, truck tyres burnt and massive fires on all entry and exist ats San Antonio and neighbouring town, to be fair it looked like WW3, still tension in the air.

Thankfully no drama, Maya now getting her heart and lungs checked at R2R KTM.

Will be here for a few days pening finding more economical accom as prices seem to have gone up with the violence.

Cheers Andi
Old 08-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #25
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
My policy is to always check with the people who drive local transport--buses, collectives, ox-carts, whatever. Individual police are sometimes far removed from the actual sources of information, and sometimes prone to spreading disinformation for one reason or another.
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #26
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
My policy is to always check with the people who drive local transport--buses, collectives, ox-carts, whatever. Individual police are sometimes far removed from the actual sources of information, and sometimes prone to spreading disinformation for one reason or another.
Yeah we found that, got an engrish speaking man with a phone who cured that, the stone throwers were still out through.

No buses, cars or trucks supposedly and when we went through the worst point only buses and trucks were lined up and parked for km the rest was the gumball rally for space so we just joined in.

SHITLOADS of tourists and travellers in Medellin wanting to get out, airports and borders closed .... gonna be an interesting few days, Maya safely tucked up in R2R KTM making friends with SMRs, 1190rs etc ... nice to be in a big bike shop again
Old 09-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #27
ApexJeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
updates?

anything new? I will not be down until Jan to pick up our motos at Mikes in Cali, and head south so hopefully all should be cool?
ApexJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #28
OK Lucinda OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexJeff View Post
anything new? I will not be down until Jan to pick up our motos at Mikes in Cali, and head south so hopefully all should be cool?
A few of us came through to Equador the day it opened again, now in Quito. The stateside ADV cavalry will impart their wisdom on the big picture shortly, I'm sure.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #29
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by ok lucinda View Post
the stateside adv cavalry will impart their wisdom on the big picture shortly, i'm sure.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #30
Pman1
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hi,

I'm in Ibara, Ecuador and want to cross into Colombia ASAP because I'm running out of days on my visa here, is the border and the road to Pasto open (and safe)?

I just read this, doesn't sound good:
http://www.elmundo.com/portal/notici...namericana.php

Thanks in advanced.
Pman1 is offline   Reply With Quote