Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #31
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Being stateside and having spent a decent amount of time in Colombia on a moto I find it very hard to believe that every single road out of Medellin, Pasto, Guatape, etc etc was blocked and you could not find a way out of town on a moto, too many roads to be blocked for it to happen, I know I'd find a way. Too many riders only know or want to use the PanAm and don't know how to find there way without it

I know things can get bad but they won't ever be able to block all those little really good roads. I'd just head over to Venezeula and burn the cheap fuel and let things cool off in moto heaven aka Colombia, hopefully some of the unrest will be able to be resolved soon and all will return to better than it was.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #32
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,676
We left Medellin, no worries whatsoever, over east down south no issues at all.

Throttlemeister the one day we wanted to go through the teachers, farmers, truckers and students pretty well had most covered, problem is getting close to the city not actually at the city.

We snuck in the back way leaving the main road to others where the shite was going down, still went through piles of burning tyres tho.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #33
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
I'd just head over to Venezeula and burn the cheap fuel
That escape route could provide its own set of obstacles right now:
ENG: http://www.eluniversal.com/economia/...olombia-border
ESP: http://www.ultimasnoticias.com.ve/no...en-la-fro.aspx

Additionally, on the HUBB someone mentioned that US/UK/Aussie/Canadian travelers were recently not allowed to enter VZ from Colombia, but had no trouble from the Brazil side. Not sure why that was, if it's still the case, or if it just happened to some traveler wearing a pro-Capriles shirt...
csustewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #34
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post
That escape route could provide its own set of obstacles right now:
ENG: http://www.eluniversal.com/economia/...olombia-border
ESP: http://www.ultimasnoticias.com.ve/no...en-la-fro.aspx

Additionally, on the HUBB someone mentioned that US/UK/Aussie/Canadian travelers were recently not allowed to enter VZ from Colombia, but had no trouble from the Brazil side. Not sure why that was, if it's still the case, or if it just happened to some traveler wearing a pro-Capriles shirt...
... gezz that is the border we are aiming at, still a month and half away at least, will keep an eye on that, may change our plans if it continues.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #35
OK Lucinda OP
n00b

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Too many riders only know or want to use the PanAm and don't know how to find there way without it
With great respect for your experience, there was no way out of Pasto, paved or dirt. It's in a tight valley with limited options. The obvious escape was your ealier suggestion via Mocoa and this was the route we assumed we might leave on. Closed. We checked it everyday. In fact the PanAm was the first to open. So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what other options you are suggesting we had other than going through protesting farmer's fields, which would have gotten us stoned off our bikes anyway.

Secondly, I know a little about, through word of mouth and through blogs and websites, roughly the riding preferences of many of the riders around me. Say a dozen people within a few hundred miles. Not one of them sticks to the PanAm, unless of it's obvious convenience here and there, such as the approach to Quito, exclusively.

In Central America it would be completely contrived to avoid the PanAm completely. For example how would you get through Panama? And not one rider I know of didn't take ventures off into the country on their way through Panama. Not one. You say too many riders only know the PanAm. This just isn't currently the case. You're stereotyping beginners unfairly.

And let's say someone is riding the PanAm exclusively. So what? Why does a long distance ride have to be an ADV ride? Aren't they entitled to ride whatever way suits them? Just crossing a few countries down a highway on a bike is a huge and worthwhile adventure compared to not leaving home at all for the huge majority of people. But this point doesn't matter, because it appears that currently maybe no-one is.

Once again, this is written with great respect for you and the others who have much greater experience.

OK Lucinda screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 10:51 AM
OK Lucinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #36
Pman1
n00b

Oddometer: 5

http://www.elmundo.com/portal/notici...s_del_pais.php
Pman1 is offline   Reply With Quote