Thanks for a great RR!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #137
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_moto View Post
can I ask what GPS and or GPS locator device you use? thanks
I am using a Garmin Montana. I have some free Mexico maps that are missing some roads but the main thing I use it for is to see where I am and use a paper map for more precise routing.

I changed to a Delorme InReach device because of its two-way texting capability. I'm liking it so far but I must say that it is really sensitive to cloud cover compared to my old spot but not enough to be an issue.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #138
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimj View Post
Just to .

Thanks for a great RR!
I'm glad your are enjoying it. Now if only I could find a connection good enough to upload the next day!!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #139
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 25 Headed for the Beach (again)

Day 25 September 17
Oaxaca to Zipolite 253km 7 hours

What an absolutely wonderful day. It has to be in my top 10 riding days.

Typical PEMEX gas station. The only brand in Mexico is government owned.

No rain and mid twenties most of the day. Once I got out of the city at 9:30 the highway was great and open. As I started climbing into the mountains the pavement became more broken and rough but it’s pretty standard here. It didn’t take long to find out why this road had been closed. Compared to the route we took two days ago this one got slammed hard by landslides.

In the 200km of insanely twisty road there were hundreds of slides. Dozens of them did massive damage. Caterpillars had cleared them all but there were many stretches of one lane only through areas hit hard by mud.

Many large trees had been blocking the road a few days ago and locals were gathering the wood. Some of the pavement had washed away completely leaving dangerous drops marked only by a few rocks.

The smell of the high alpine forest at 8000 feet was wonderful. The road twisted along sharp ridgelines that have spectacular views on either side. Beautiful mountain villages are nestled throughout the route.

There are homes set in the lush green slopes on impossible looking grades.

Here is a scary looking fellow

I was in Zipolite by 4 o’clock and found a hotel without much trouble.

I dined and drank cold beers watching the Pacific Ocean breaking on the beach.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #140
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 26 Hippy at Heart

Day 26 September 18
Zipolite to Mazunte 10km 20 minutes

Lola’s Hotel wasn’t a bad spot for 150 pesos. One of the last places on the east side of the beach it was pretty quiet. Mind you it is low season and I was one of only three guests there. The food was good and the ambiance was pretty cool.

Despite being told they had internet I could not get connected. The bar tender told me it was out but under repair. The blogger in me had to have internet! So I thought I’d take an early morning walk down the beach for a look see at the other choices. It’s really hard to tell if a place is a hotel, a bar or a residence. This time of year nobody is around most places and half of them looked run down and abandoned.

I managed to find a spot that looked more like a hotel than any of them and inquired about a room. 300 pesos for a nice ocean view room. I didn't want to spend that so I made the long walk back to Lola’s and decided to go to Mazunte. I was changing venues no matter what so loaded Skelly and slowly rode west toward the beach village that Martin and Troy were heading to today. Mazunte is a really cool little place. You can tell it’s a great town to be in the high season. After riding up and down a few streets I found the Hostal La Isla.

You know the picture in your mind of a hostel on the beach? This is it! Thatched awnings, hammocks, outdoor showers (private) and an interesting smell in the air.

My room

It was perfect and I could have stayed there for many days.

After getting set up I took a load of stinky clothing to the lavanderia to get washed. I was told come back in 4 hours so I wandered around and had a little nap.

All the guests had dinner prepared by Waldo and we drank quite a few beers. I met a couple of American guys, a Belgian girl, a couple from Japan and two sisters from Germany.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #141
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 170
Zipolete

Say hi to the pelicans! Have seen really nice pictures from a Vancouver friend who visited there....amazing you have just ridden into that remote place.
kalahari-k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #142
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 27 Convoys and Motels

Day 27 September 19
Mazunte to Jichutan 250km

Breakfast, which was included in the 150 peso price started at 9:30. Once again roosters woke me up and I crawled out of the comfy futon which was surrounded by mosquito netting. Apparently this is a Malaria area but I forgot to check before getting here and did not take any Malarone. Deep Woods OFF will have to suffice. As I was loading Skelly a young lady who was obviously a backpacker stopped and looked at the bike. In an Australian accent she said that where she was staying there were two guys with bikes outfitted like mine. It had to be Troy and Martin so I planned on looking for them after my coffee and fruit breakfast. I failed to find them but I half expected them to be sleeping anyway so off I went.

For most of the day I escaped the rain. It seems the afternoon is the time for the agua. Early riding suits me fine. My stops were few today and for a long time I fell in behind a large army convoy that was moving slowly. I didn’t pass them worried I’d be breaking some law or perhaps just an unwritten rule that it’s bad form to break into a convoy. They eventually pulled of the highway and I resumed my cruising speed of about 90kph. The ride was once again fabulous.

By the time I arrived at the outskirts of Juchitan the rain had started. And so did the protests. This demonstration was not by teachers, but taxi drivers. They blocked the main road into town with their cabs preventing all movement. My GPS led me on an alternate path through narrow streets into the core of the city. A tuk tuk (Auto Rickshaw) driver stopped to help me find my way and ultimately I was deposited back onto the highway but on the other side of the city. I saw no hotels on my detour so decided to keep moving for awhile hoping to find one before too long. A long stretch of highway loomed in front of me but I passed a sign that announced “President Motel”. A quick U-turn and I back I went to find myself in the courtyard of my first “special” motel.

It was raining heavily and the Inn Keeper implied that he was the only game in town. The city roads are blocked and no hotels for many hours up ahead. He had me and he knew it.

Some of you may be wondering what a “special” motel is. They are also called Auto Hotels. The idea is people arrive by car and park in a garage or a stall with a curtain. The car is hidden and access to the room is right in front of them. The hotel attendant closes the curtain behind them and their faces are never seen. Payment is made via a turntable set into the wall and it is an hourly rate. In this case the rate is 180 pesos for 5 hours. Dude tells me 350 pesos for the night and I had to leave by 8:00am. I tried to negotiate and even started to leave but I knew what I had to do. I did present a small problem for him when I asked for a key. You see the clients here don’t leave the rooms until, well until they are ready. I needed to go for a walk, get dinner and find clear sky to use my InReach and communicate with Wanitta. There were no food possibilities anywhere so when I returned to the room I ate the remainder of my 4 week old trail mix for supper. The room had no internet and a leaky ceiling. Covered by a sheet of plastic to protect it from the leak, the TV had 2 channels (say no more). I sat there playing games on my laptop for hours.

As disgusting as it may sound at least the room was clean. But sunrise couldn’t come fast enough this night.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #143
greygeezer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Loving this!
greygeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #144
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalahari-k View Post
Say hi to the pelicans! Have seen really nice pictures from a Vancouver friend who visited there....amazing you have just ridden into that remote place.
There was great numbers of pelicans in Cabo. Hope to see more

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #145
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygeezer View Post
Loving this!
So am I..... So am I

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #146
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Taxi strike in Juchitan? Thats interesting.

I got stuck smack dab in the middle of a taxi strike in Juchitan about a year and a half ago.

My bike with the taxi drivers.

Seems they haven't got it strightened out yet :)

I couldn't find a room there either.......
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #147
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,846
Sounds like an adventure!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2011 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #148
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
Taxi strike in Juchitan? Thats interesting.

I got stuck smack dab in the middle of a taxi strike in Juchitan about a year and a half ago.

Seems they haven't got it strightened out yet :)

I couldn't find a room there either.......
I thought it was another education reform protest. I did encounter one of those in Tuxtla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Sounds like an adventure!
So far it's been great. Today the adventure is getting an oil change
Old 09-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #149
grahamspc
Smitty

Oddometer: 124
Just discovered..trying to catch up.
grahamspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #150
Klutch
gringo goatrider

Oddometer: 229
Sounds like you're getting close to a border crossing. Love that part of Mexico!
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote