Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #346
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mob View Post
Stahlratte posted a pic on their FB page just after your departure...

"after a week here relaxing (and reparing generator No1) we are back on tour with 11 motorcycles and 24 souls on board. the BBQ on the beach is over and the bonfire is on and the first bottles of rum are going around...
cheers"

According to your tracker you are almost in Cartagena. I hope you enjoyed your trip, and hope that you enjoy Cartagena.

I'll be on board the Stahlratte March 3rd and can't wait!

San Blas is incredible, but so is Colombia. Enjoy it all... ;)

~ D
It was a great trip but very rough. Update in a day or two.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #347
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,271
Keep it coming. Enjoying the adventure.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #348
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Day 83 Going for a Boat Ride

Day 83 November 14 Panama City to Carti

Today was a day I had been anticipating since the inception of the whole adventure.

The plan was for the bikers that were on the Stahlratte to meet at the Hostel and ride to Carti as a group.

At 7:30 we headed out with 6 of the 11 riders through the busy traffic of Panama City.

The first 70km or so was on the main highway east of the city. We turned onto the Carti road and were treated to a fabulous roller coaster ride the rest of the way to the pier.

There was one rider already there and the other 4 bikes appeared shortly after. The ship was off shore but slowly making itsí way to the dock while we began to queue the bikes on the concrete pier.

I was first in line and we all began to remove the luggage from the machines.

The gear was placed in small tenders and shuttled to the ship. Most of us also went to the ship to keep the pier clear. The 130 foot vessel inched itís way to the pier under the expert guidance of Captain Ludwig.

The hoisting of the bikes began in frenzy and each one was manoeuvred over the side and onto the deck. The crew was obviously experienced and handled the bikes with care and skill.

Pavel's 2 stroke Jawa 350 being loaded

Before long all the motorcycles were on board and we motored to a nearby island where we were to stay for the night in a Kuna village.

The accommodations were actually some of the residences of a few of the villagers.

In their thatched huts we had a choice of hammocks or beds.

The beds were pretty lumpy but I choose one and then started to explore the small island. The entire island is covered with thatched huts of the 500 people living there.

Toilets a just open holes to the ocean and unfortunately the waterís edge is covered with litter.

The "bar"

Some craft work on display

Itís a lifestyle these people have become accustomed to but it was a bit of a shock to my western eyes.
The night was restless for me and the morning couldnít come soon enough.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #349
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,271
RedDogAlberta approves of this work crew.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #350
09Prodigy
Instigator

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta View Post
RedDogAlberta approves of this work crew.

- Ass Antlers
Old 11-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #351
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,545
Just a quick update to let you know that I had the pleasure of meeting our hero here in Medellin this evening. He's on the right with a fellow ADVrider Eran on the left that David met today on the road:

It was a fun night with an all star cast here at the Shamrock pub in Medellin, with several ADVriders in attendance. Along with Colombias favourite guesthouse owners Mike from the Casa Blanca hostel in Cali on the left and a blurry ADVsaluting Al from the infamous Shamrock pub in Medellin on the right:

It was quite fun meeting everyone. These boys are on a mission south so I probably won't see them anytime soon since I'm in relaxation mode hanging out in Colombia. But who cares? It was a fun evening. And it was great to see an Edmontonian in shorts and a tee shirt in November. The tropics are not a bad place to spend the winter months.

Kindest regards,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 10:12 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #352
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
It's pretty freaken cool when the authors of my two favorite RR's meet up.

Just sayen:)
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:25 AM   #353
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Just a quick update to let you know that I had the pleasure of meeting our hero here in Medellin this evening. He's on the right with a fellow ADVrider Eran on the left that David met today on the road:

It was quite fun meeting everyone. These boys are on a mission south so I probably won't see them anytime soon since I'm in relaxation mode hanging out in Colombia. But who cares? It was a fun evening. And it was great to see an Edmontonian in shorts and a tee shirt in November. The tropics are not a bad place to spend the winter months.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
It was great to meet you all too. And I'm certainly not missing the snow up north. I could get used to this.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:27 AM   #354
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

For the last 36 hours I have been quite ill. I've been sleeping almost nonstop and think I'm on the mend.
Sorry about the delay of posts but I'm not really motivated at the moment.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #355
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,283
Heal up, write when you can. Hope it's nothing serious.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #356
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,545
Hola amigo,

I remember being sick as a dog in Mazatlan years ago after eating something that didn’t agree with me. It’s no fun laying low in a foreign country like a wounded animal until you can climb on your bike and continue on. There’s nothing sadder than a sick gringo moaning in bed. Fortunately time heals all.

If you weren’t a fiercely independent northern Canuckian I’d offer to bring over some chicken soup if you’re still in Medellin. I think it’s against northern Canadian law to accept help from Americans (just kidding), so instead I’ll wish you a speedy recovery, eh?

And yes, keep up the good work on your ride report when you get around to it. Think of your brothers back shoveling snow. Ride reports are their salvation. I am enjoying it as well.

Your ADVpal,
Tio Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 11-23-2013 at 10:15 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #357
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
For the last 36 hours I have been quite ill. I've been sleeping almost nonstop and think I'm on the mend.
Sorry about the delay of posts but I'm not really motivated at the moment.
So sorry to hear that Dave - sure hope you feel better soon.

(got drugs???)
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #358
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
So sorry to hear that Dave - sure hope you feel better soon.

(got drugs???)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hola amigo,

I remember being sick as a dog in Mazatlan years ago after eating something that didnít agree with me. Itís no fun laying low in a foreign country like a wounded animal until you can climb on your bike and continue on. Thereís nothing sadder than a sick gringo moaning in bed. Fortunately time heals all.

If you werenít a fiercely independent northern Canuckian Iíd offer to bring over some chicken soup if youíre still in Medellin. I think itís against northern Canadian law to accept help from Americans (just kidding), so instead Iíll wish you a speedy recovery, eh?

And yes, keep up the good work on your ride report when you get around to it. Think of your brothers back shoveling snow. Ride reports are their salvation. I am enjoying it as well.

Your ADVpal,
Tio Juan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313 View Post
Heal up, write when you can. Hope it's nothing serious.
Thanks for the good vibes guys. I'm feeling way better now and will be hitting the road tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #359
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Stahlratte Voyage

Day 84-87 November 15-18 Stahlratte Voyage

Some more photos of the Kuna Island

The next morning the ship motored for about 3 hours to a small group of islands called Coco Banderas. These three islands are part of the San Blas Archipelago which has 365 islands. Of these 365, 40 are occupied by the Kuna people who have semi autonomous control over the area. Each island has its own laws but together they form a strong community with a unique culture from the rest of Panama.

Coco Banderas is like a photograph from your imagination of white sand deserted islands with palm trees leaning over the surf. The first thing we all did was jump into the ocean and swim to the closest island. Later the rope swing came out along with the snorkel gear. While we were playing the crew was setting up a beach BBQ which lasted well into the night.

I always look so serious, but really I'm having a great time!!

We spent another full day at the islands and had a delicious lobster feast. At 5am the next morning the ship started the long open water crossing to Colombia. A number of people were seasick during the rough crossing but I managed to avoid being ill by taking regular doses of Gravol. The trade winds were blowing strong from the south so the going was slow. The ship had the sails up to help steady the rocking motion but still the crossing was one of the rougher ones.

We arrived in Cartagena 33 hours later and went to immigration to get our passports stamped.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #360
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 173
Recovered

Glad you've recovered. It's been amazing seeing the photos of the folk in the San Blas Island, and the crossing. I was able to follow on your Delorme site.....a llttle green motor bike making its way across the Caribbean east to Cartegena. Is the beach garbage where you over nighted theirs or drift from Panama? Nice to have found smaller clean islands to swim in - the toilet facilities where you slept would be discouraging, even if it's just a drop in the ocean, so to speak!

Did they use traps to catch the lobsters, or snorkel for them?

Happy travels!
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote