Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #751
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
It's been quite the journey and mostly trouble free, congratulations on this major ADVENTURE.
Phillip
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #752
olymax
stupid grin

Oddometer: 18
I look every day to follow your journey. I am sad that it's over-it's been such a great story. Thanks so much for taking the trouble to share it with us.
olymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #753
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 606
Great RR Thank you. I'm still doing the math !
Safe journey home.
pceire32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #754
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 838
People

All about the people

The ride is over and I'm sitting in the airport waiting for my flight home. In a little more than 24 hours I'll be having Tim Hortons coffee with my wife by my side. The things I missed the most were without a doubt my family and Canadian coffee.

As I think about going home I can't help but remember and thank all those who have made this more than just a bike trip. First and foremost I can't thank my wife enough for being such a good sport about this. Most guys I talk to ask how I convinced her to “let” me go. Well she never once gave me any negative signals despite making some big sacrifices over the last 6 months. Wanitta is my hero.

My whole family has been wonderful with their support. My kids with encouragement, my Mom lent us her house for 6 months, and my siblings have all been so great with their enthusiasm.

To my Brother in Law Barry, who inspired me to make the trip a fund raiser. I wish he hadn't been injured in the first place but thanks to him I made the trip count for something more.

Thank you Louise Miller and SCITCS for allowing me to briefly be a part of your organization and helping me do what I needed to do. We have raised over $14,000 and still counting. Thank you to all my donors.

To Chuck for his generous help with all the publicity and fund raising. Without him I would have been lost.
To Cindi for whom Skelly wears pink, thank you for your hard work at the fund raiser,the Costa Rican resort stay and connecting me with your Cabo friends.

Tim Der and Sign source for the great graphics on my truck and the bike.

Claysmore Spring Water
Sobeys
Swift Media
The UPS Store
Glenn Cook of the St. Albert Leader
Scott Hayes of the St. Albert Gazette
Marty Forbes

Riverside Motosports came through big time with a donation to SCITCS and hosting the big send off event. Thanks Greg, Danny, Chad and the gang.

Parts Canada who donated my Alpinestar Scout riding boots, and Screens for Bikes who donated the shipping cost for my windscreen.

And all the people along the way who I have met. Sorry I didn't get all of your names but you had an impact.
The fine folks who fed me on my first night, and the biker who made a donation after only knowing me for 60 seconds. Chris in Lake Tahoe, Charles in Chetumal. Troy and Martin, awesome KLR dudes. Paul and Asli touring on a Vtsrom. Tim and his friends ziplining in Costa Rica. Toby and Sara Shannon in Huanuco, thanks for keeping Skelly safe. The whole gang from the Stahlratte, I don't want to miss any names, you know who you are. Bart and Renata, Daniel and Sarah you guys helped make the trip so much more complete. Kyle and Trevor, I had such fun riding with you two guys.

And of Course Eran, my good pal who I spent almost 10 weeks with. I am so glad I met you and that you waited for me in Uyuni. What a pleasure it has been to know you despite your ripe boots. You taught me to look beyond the surface, and take some chances. I hope we meet again some day.
Boy I sure hope I haven't missed anyone.

Thank you all my report readers and thanks for the comments.

It's been great fun.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #755
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 401
Enjoy home!

Hi Dave. Thanks for a truly wonderful Ride Report! I've enjoyed everything about it, your story, content, style, execution...everything. It's a piece of art and rates among the very best. I'm going over it again and again.

Congratulations on making it safely to the airport.

Best wishes from wannabe adventurers here in the Falkland Islands.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #756
friskycutter
n00b

Oddometer: 3
impressed

Really enjoyed following you on your trails south. Welcome back home safe and sound. You have a good eye for the photos which made us all part of the trip. I live in Vancouver but ride the island occasionally, maybe Ill run into you (metaphorically), Thanks again
friskycutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #757
mjt1577
MinisterOfSillyWalks

Oddometer: 52
Looking forward to meeting up with you out here on the Island, Dave!...safe travels home and good luck with the move. How did the Heidenau rear work for you?...how many klicks did you get out of it? I love those tires...just curious what your experience was. Take care!
mjt1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:21 AM   #758
davey1212
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
HWunger,"

"... one of the planes that dropped bombs on the HMS Plymouth. None of the bombs that struck the ship exploded..."

too bad .... Thatcher threatened nukes over Cordoba if Mitterand didn't supply the codes for the Exocets .... horrible woman ... at least the Sheffield went down !

LAS MALVINAS SON ARGENTINAS !

ARGENTINO HASTA LA MUERTE !"

I am disgusted that you hijack Dave's thread and this site to make your political statement and gloat on the loss of 20 British servicemen. Use another site for that. If you want to reply, PM me not on here.

Sorry, Dave.
davey1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #759
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,886
Congratulations on a great ride
and thanks for the outstanding ride report
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #760
Elvis!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I'm disgusted too. This is not the place to do that. Kind of embarrassed to be argentinian when i see things like that.
Elvis! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #761
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

If you would be so kind as to continue the war discussion on another thread I would appreciate it. Thanks

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #762
Keating
pre-n00b

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
Trans Taiga? sounds interesting
I missed Newfoundland and Labrador when I did my cross country trip so I need to go and see.
It's a shorty at 666km, barely a couple days, but come down to ON and I'll ride it with ya.

James Bay Road / Trans-Taiga

'04 KLR650
Keating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #763
Keating
pre-n00b

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post

Klim Element Glove long

element glove

Rating B2

However it's not perfect. The main problem is the sizing but I can only blame my anatomy for that. To get a glove wide enough I had to get the XL and the fingers are too long.
Seems to be a KLIM thing. My KLIM Adventure gloves fit the same way.
I bought mine for finger length and put lots of leather dressing (Dubbin) on them and they're gradually breaking in to fit like a second skin. I probably could have gone up to XL as well, but hate the fingers being too long.

'04 KLR650
Keating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #764
the_real_wild1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
So are you home yet? At least it is not really cold out today. Welcome Home!! lol
Old 02-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #765
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Well I'm finally back on Canadian soil. After a train, taxi, 3 flights, a bus ride, and then a ferry I am on Vancouver Island. As I write this I'm having a nice cup of coffee looking out onto the ocean from a cool little cottage. My wife surprised me by renting the place. For the next two days I'll decompress and then we start house hunting.

I need to go back to Vancouver next week to pick up the bike and I will store it here at a friends place. 5 weeks from now I start my new job here on the Island so we really need to find a place soon. We still have to go back to Edmonton to collect all our furniture and stuff from storage.

Never a dull moment

DRRambler screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 08:51 AM