Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #796
mjt1577
MinisterOfSillyWalks

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
We have been very actively looking at houses and have finally found one! Looks like we will be moving in April 15th.
Can't wait to start exploring all that Vancouver island has to offer!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
CONGRATULATIONS!

Glad your house search was successful and hope your move out to the Island goes smoothly...I look forward to sharing a trail with you one day!
mjt1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #797
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,036
Do I have a new neibour? Where abouts is the new place? Bill.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #798
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
Do I have a new neibour? Where abouts is the new place? Bill.
We settled on Deep Bay. Looks like a really nice area.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #799
YetiHunter
2 Wheels & Flyrod

Oddometer: 55
Deep Bay

Really nice area with great riding and some decent salmon fishing not to far away. I'm betting you're going to really like it.

Even the ferrys aren't too bad when you're on a bike.
YetiHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #800
advFord
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Shipping

Hey Dave,

Well I'm getting close to the end of my journey down here and was wondering if using Dakar motors is necessary. Is it possible to just go direct to the shipping companies? Worth the 1,000 pesos or would you skip it next time.

Thanks!
Facebook
Instagram @PlacesBeyond My Spot
advFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #801
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by advFord View Post
Hey Dave,

Well I'm getting close to the end of my journey down here and was wondering if using Dakar motors is necessary. Is it possible to just go direct to the shipping companies? Worth the 1,000 pesos or would you skip it next time.

Thanks!
How's your Spanish? If I was fluent I probably could have done it myself but Sandra has it so organized it's hard to beat the ease and simplicity.

She has all the contacts and a step by step printed instruction sheet. It is quite a process and having all the people expecting your arrival was really nice.

Watch for pick pockets in BsAs

D
Old 04-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #802
advFord
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
How's your Spanish? If I was fluent I probably could have done it myself but Sandra has it so organized it's hard to beat the ease and simplicity.

She has all the contacts and a step by step printed instruction sheet. It is quite a process and having all the people expecting your arrival was really nice.

Watch for pick pockets in BsAs

D
thanks, Dave. you're probably right about that fee being worth the ease of what she has set up.
Facebook
Instagram @PlacesBeyond My Spot
advFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #803
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Awesome Dave, very rare to come across a RR that is as fun to read and still as informative as yours. It can't be easy being that diligent with your records and it is much appreciated by the whole ADV community!! Like most, I have plans to head south and your pictures and experiences keep that fire burning strong. Again, a huge thanks and best wishes
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #804
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
Awesome Dave, very rare to come across a RR that is as fun to read and still as informative as yours. It can't be easy being that diligent with your records and it is much appreciated by the whole ADV community!! Like most, I have plans to head south and your pictures and experiences keep that fire burning strong. Again, a huge thanks and best wishes
Thanks Tex!

I kinda wish I was still out there. Poor Skelly sits lonely waiting for new tires and chain plus a few other maintenance items. In the meantime I'm renovating a house and have only ridden twice since I got back to real life. I am hopeful I will have time to get the DR in top shape again so I can attend the HU meeting in Nakusp this August.

Thanks for reading the RR, I'm glad you enjoyed it
Old 07-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #805
Lawrence908
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hi Dave.

Leaving Edmonton in September to do a very similar trip and I just can't decide on jacket. I've got a Klim jacket now but need to change sizes anyways so I'm still trying to pick the perfect one.

Do you think a mesh/airflow jacket would be a good choice for the climates you go through?

I have the new Adventure Rally by Klim and I find it hot even here in Alberta on some days. I'm thinking I'll be dreading the deadly hot and humid days along the way and something like the Adventure Rally Air with a separate rain over jacket is a better idea.
What are your thoughts about that for the weather you saw during the trip?

Thanks,
Chris
Lawrence908 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:54 AM   #806
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence908 View Post
Hi Dave.

Leaving Edmonton in September to do a very similar trip and I just can't decide on jacket. I've got a Klim jacket now but need to change sizes anyways so I'm still trying to pick the perfect one.

Do you think a mesh/airflow jacket would be a good choice for the climates you go through?

I have the new Adventure Rally by Klim and I find it hot even here in Alberta on some days. I'm thinking I'll be dreading the deadly hot and humid days along the way and something like the Adventure Rally Air with a separate rain over jacket is a better idea.
What are your thoughts about that for the weather you saw during the trip?

Thanks,
Chris
I think a mesh type jacket would be fine. However you will need a very good warm layer or two and a way to block wind. There were times I was riding in 2 degrees and sleet. I cursed having the heavy jacket in Central America but was glad I had it in South America.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #807
Lawrence908
Adventurer

Quote:
I think a mesh type jacket would be fine. However you will need a very good warm layer or two and a way to block wind. There were times I was riding in 2 degrees and sleet. I cursed having the heavy jacket in Central America but was glad I had it in South America.
Awesome, that's what I was thinking, a good shell for the exterior and layering underneath will be key, and it will make the hot climates much more bearable.

My plan is to continue on the trip and keep going north into Brazil, eventually through Venezuela on the way back North. I figure I'll be in hot temperatures more than I will be in cold this way and want to plan for it. Obviously the mountains and the southern section of South America will be the coldest weather to deal with so as long as I plan for a couple cold sections.

Thanks for the reply, followed your RR a lot and the detailed write up at the end with money/day in each specific country was fantastic help.
Hopefully Vancouver island weather is treating you better than St. Albert, I'm sure it will be 10x better come December and the -40C temps here.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #808
the_real_wild1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
There won't be any -40 here. I will accept -20 and lots of snow But no colder.....and no warmer then -7. Don't want my snow melting.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #809
Lawrence908
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_real_wild1 View Post
There won't be any -40 here. I will accept -20 and lots of snow But no colder.....and no warmer then -7. Don't want my snow melting.
Sounds like the winters I was used to growing up in Ontario.
The occasional -25 to freeze your nose hairs together but I couldn't have imagined -40 or worse with windchill. Snow, oh yes, there was lots of that.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #810
the_real_wild1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I used to hate the winters here for awhile. Then I started sledding. Winters are ok now And now that I moved out of Edmonton and to the north a bit I can sled from my garage.