ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
DocAxeYarYar OP
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 749
Gunslingers New Mexico Work-Arounds

Posting this up to get some feedback from local experts on some of the work arounds I had to do on the GSDR! If you have some further info, or suggestions on alternative routes, or how to get through some of these areas would be great!

So made the GSDR route from a combination of tracks provided by others, CDT tracks, and those I drew myself. So, of course it’s a work in progress, and subject to variations! Half the fun is exploring to see where these tracks go, and along the way we found several obstacles.

On the loop to Pie Town, we got derailed, as a small FR off of the main FR was impassible due to downed trees. We had to bail out and find Old Highway 52 to Datil. This turned out for better, since we lost time the day before to repairs, and managed to roll into Datil just in time to snag dinner and a room.

As we headed north, I drew tracks across national forest that would dump us out on Highway 54. But, no luck as the track petered out at locked gates. On my GPS I could see the road continuing, through the forest, but clearly the gates were locked. Also, “county maintenance ends” signs were a pointer also. So, we took the northern route up, and cut across to 54. Along the way I spotted “old 54” on the GPS but this was all-private and we had to take the paved road.

When we hit Taos, I wanted to cut across forest roads towards Angel Fire and White Peak. But the track I drew landed us at a huge locked gate to the road, which goes up to a water tower. We bailed and took 64 north to Angel Fire, which was fine because it was a great ride, and White Peak would later kick our butt!

[

Doing this again, I would drop our gear at the camp ground just outside White Peak, and spend a full day noodling around in White Peak without gear.

Finally, a small side loop I drew going up forest road turned into locked gates again, as we went off the forest. But was not always clear we were on private land. We were not able to take the southern route and had to ride into Roswell (ugg), and make good and sure you have plenty of fuel, because your heading into no-mans land after Hope!

Old 08-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
The downed trees on FR 330 near Mt Withington sounds like a bummer. I wonder if you somehow got on an old road. I can't quite tell from your map, but there is a newer road that goes down the next canyon to the south. Several people are planning to ride thru there as part of the Rubber Chicken ride. Not sure which direction you were headed. There is another forest road, 152 I think, north of 330 that cuts across from 107 to 52. It is a fun ride but may not be on the MVUM.

We ran into that same locked gate east of 54 on your 2nd map down in the Lincoln NF a few years ago. I doubt we could have gotton across that stretch of private land between the forest and 54 anyway. You showed old 54 as private. Probably so. But you can ride the dirt road along the edge of the railroad tracks. We once took it from Alamogordo nearly all the way to Corona.

Not surprised about the other locked gates. When I plan trips I try to always check land ownership. I have found that minor roads thru private property almost never work. I try to stick to numbered county roads. And these don't always work either.

There is a nice dirt road heading south a few miles east of Hondo that connects 380 with 82.

We had planned to take that FR 443 south of 70 a few years ago. For some reason we stayed on 70. We had a couple of local guys with us and maybe they knew the gate was locked. Looks like the road to the east is a numbered county road 395.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
trailwerks
Missing Two Wheels

Oddometer: 187
The Mt. Withington area is in the Magdalena Ranger District of the Cibola National Forest. They have not issued an MVUM yet. In fact, they haven't even released the draft Environmental Assessment (EA) for Travel Management on that area yet. They released the Proposed Action in August of 2010 and we are still waiting to see the EA. The Magdalena RD and the Camino Real Ranger District of the Carson NF are the only MVUMs that have not been issued yet.

And like them or not, the MVUMs are pretty accurate. If they show the road, it is open and passable to motorized. If they don't show the road, it is not open to the public anymore.

Road 330 on the east flank of Mt. Withington was proposed to stay open to all motorized vehicles (no change) in the Proposed Action as the road south off of Withington (FR 864?). The roads were open when we rode the area last October. Trees blocking it are a good example of who is typically keeping the Forest Roads passable: the public users!

FR 52 is also shown as still open on the Proposed Action.
trailwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
DocAxeYarYar OP
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 749
NM Work Arounds

As I recall, FR 330 was good and passable all the way to Old Hyway 52, which then took us into Datil.

Our route had us turn off a smaller road, and did not get far before encountering fallen trees. I think it was marked with a number but cant recall. I cant say if they were fallen by acts of man or acts of nature!

Old 08-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
I believe that the road down the west side is FR 96. Hope somebody clears it soon. We are planning a ride down there in a couple of months or so.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
mdsnitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I was on Mount Withington today with the Jeep, 549 is clear all the way up and down and 476 is completely clear. I did not get a chance to get over to 330.

Matt
Old 09-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 599
interesting post
can i ask 2 stupid questions ?

are the downed trees someones intentional doing

what are the " tanks " like Broke Tank and all the other Tanks ??
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
Are the downed trees someones intentional doing?
I doubt it...probably just natural downed trees on a primitive road that hasn't been cleared recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
What are the " tanks " like Broke Tank and all the other Tanks??
Usually stands for stock tanks, wells or water storage. Many natural springs in the mountains that are used to store water for cattle, etc.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 599
Thanks!!
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
mdsnitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
...probably just natural downed trees on a primitive road that hasn't been cleared recently.
Everything has been freshly grated and cleared recently. Nice big Cadillac wide highways!