PhotoGuy

Oddometer: 92
Shafer Road - Canyonlands, UT

PhotoMotoAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #32
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 436
wow, some of the best pics I've seen on ADV. Cool trip too!
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #33
harryzgnilek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricaserpa View Post
That's very generous! I also scratched my head quite a lot before the trip, trying to figure out what to bring (and how to do it), and I finally settled for a smaller camera setup: an Olympus Micro 4/3, the OMD EM5, and 4 lenses, all in my tank bag, where they should be relatively safe unless I had a major screwup. It worked just fine, and I had the camera on my shoulder a good part of the time. Really light and small enough not be felt.
Which Lens do you use with the EM5?
thanks

looks like the 9-18mm?
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #34
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Very nice. I carried a Canon 7D and 3 lenses on a previous trip. Pretty much filled the left pannier. Micro four thirds sounds like the ticket.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #35
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
wow, some of the best pics I've seen on ADV. Cool trip too!
Thanks! The trip was beyond cool for me, it was one of these lifelong dreams and I feel lucky to have made it. Thinking about the next one now...
Old 08-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #36
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzgnilek View Post
Which Lens do you use with the EM5?
thanks

looks like the 9-18mm?
The 9-18mm stayed on the camera most of the time. I found it to be light and most useful for the daily rides. I also used a 100-300 and the great 35-100/2.8 a lot. My other lens for the trip was a 25/1.4, but that one stayed in the bag all the time, never needed the wide aperture.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #37
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
Very nice. I carried a Canon 7D and 3 lenses on a previous trip. Pretty much filled the left pannier. Micro four thirds sounds like the ticket.
That's what I thought when I tried to pack a Nikon D4 setup (body and 3 fast zooms, the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200). Way too much and way too heavy. A friend of mine showed me the EM5 and it was love at first sight... Coming back to the Nikon now for my work is kinda weird, the whole thing feels like a brick.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #38
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricaserpa View Post
That's what I thought when I tried to pack a Nikon D4 setup (body and 3 fast zooms, the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200). Way too much and way too heavy. A friend of mine showed me the EM5 and it was love at first sight... Coming back to the Nikon now for my work is kinda weird, the whole thing feels like a brick.
Yep, I had the 10-22, 17-55, and 70-200L 2.8 IS. Definitely does not lend itself to packing light. There were a lot of times I was really glad I had it all, though, I must say. Sounds like the 4/3 setup has a lot of potential, though. I'll have to look into it.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #39
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
Yep, I had the 10-22, 17-55, and 70-200L 2.8 IS. Definitely does not lend itself to packing light. There were a lot of times I was really glad I had it all, though, I must say. Sounds like the 4/3 setup has a lot of potential, though. I'll have to look into it.
I'm sure you will like it once you try, Evan. The EM5 is a surprising camera, and didn't let me down in any moment during the trip. You have to get used to the electronic viewfinder, of course, but that's easy. They have a 12-35/2.8 (equivalent to 24-70 in 35mm) and a 35-100/2.8 that are every bit as good as their Nikon counterparts.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #40
aculate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Subscribed

I'm in.

Ricardo,

Your photographs are astounding. Somehow, I knew they would be. We met at Dan Armstrong's and shared some good conversation at the U of AK-Fairbanks dorm.

My trip was only 30 days long because I had to return to work. But I plan to go out and run through the Southwest next year. Your pictures from Colorado are giving me ideas. Keep 'em coming!

Nathan
(from New Orleans)
aculate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #41
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
1. had shoulder surgery 17 hours ago, so hard to type more
2. had to comment
3. incredible thread
4. best use of that olympus camera, lightroom, and your amazing photography skills, both pre and post-processing

thank you for sharing with us
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #42
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculate View Post
I'm in.

Ricardo,

Your photographs are astounding. Somehow, I knew they would be. We met at Dan Armstrong's and shared some good conversation at the U of AK-Fairbanks dorm.

My trip was only 30 days long because I had to return to work. But I plan to go out and run through the Southwest next year. Your pictures from Colorado are giving me ideas. Keep 'em coming!

Nathan
(from New Orleans)
Hey Nathan, good to hear from you! Glad you made it safely back home, and I bet you were tempted to turn back and head back north a few time on your way back home. I know I was! Thanks for the kind words about the photos, happy to know you liked them. And yes, Colorado is a fantastic place to explore, so many options there wherever your decide to go. I'll be back there for sure.

Stay well!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #43
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
1. had shoulder surgery 17 hours ago, so hard to type more
2. had to comment
3. incredible thread
4. best use of that olympus camera, lightroom, and your amazing photography skills, both pre and post-processing

thank you for sharing with us
Greg, thanks for taking the time and the effort for commenting even after the shoulder surgery. Hope you will have a nice and speedy recovery.

All my best!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #44
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

South Florida/Alaska/South Florida - The Movie

I confess I didn't think much about doing a video of the road trip to Alaska, mainly because I knew it would come down to this dilemma: how to condense 68 days of riding through 26 states and 4 Canadian provinces into a short movie? So most days I just set my GoPro and turned it on for the interesting roads I would be crossing, sometimes not even bothering to turn it off until I would stop for gas or food. The camera also decided not to work for over two weeks, but resuscitated when I was about to leave California, all by itself.

In any case, I brought home quite a lot of footage, and finally decided to try and put together a series of clips that would show a little bit of the places I've been to and some of the best dirt roads and highways a motorcyclist can think of. The result? It's long, at 35 minutes (well, it's 10 weeks of non-stop riding...), it shows a LOT of different places and it may prove to be somewhat boring to all but the real hardcore road warriors. The sound track is nice though, and I will keep the movie as a cherished souvenir of a wonderful and absolutely unique journey I was able to complete. Hope some of you will be able to hang on until the very end, and for the brave ones out there, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride with me!

http://vimeo.com/ricaserpa/alaska13
Old 09-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #45
wittyusername
Baja Basketball

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanqueen View Post
One of the best set of trip photos I've ever seen.
Agreed!
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote