User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #46
wittyusername
Baja Basketball

Oddometer: 120
Great RR

Thanks for sharing your ride report and photos. Thoroughly enjoyed every bit. I'm just down the street from you in Cooper City. I recently moved back after being gone for a while. Are you a member of that BMW riding group in Fort Lauderdale? Sun Coast something... I was thinking about checking them out. So far I've just been hitting the pavement solo. Take it easy. I've noticed that there aren't too many of us BMW/GS riders down here.

See you around and thanks again for sharing your pictures and report.

Scott
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #47
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricaserpa View Post
Greg, thanks for taking the time and the effort for commenting even after the shoulder surgery. Hope you will have a nice and speedy recovery.

All my best!
thank you very much for your kind words. I installed Dragon naturally speaking on my iMac so I can continue to participate in the forum despite having only one hand to type. sadly I think most will be aggravated by my the verbosity because of the ability to dictate...

I am trying to find a way to rehab enough to be able to carry some heavier camera gear to Boston for the head of the Charles Regatta weekend of October 19 where my daughter will be participating as the coxswain of the boys varsity eight from Boston College. Photography has been my love since my father handed me a Nikon FTn in 1969. my orthopedic surgeon is not thrilled on signing off and allowing me to carry my Nikon D4 or D800e and some long lens. I might have to compromise and take the 28 to 300 which is not the highest quality glass but certainly for lighter and will give me to reach I need to see my daughter's boat out of the Charles during the regatta
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #48
jimmycoin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Pm sent.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:35 AM   #49
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 634
Snazzy!

I just may never take another photo ever again the rest of my life! I'll have to say though that I've really enjoyed looking at these so thanks much for doing them. They're great.

Gary
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #50
jimmycoin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Just watched the video. Pretty good show friend
Old 09-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #51
mitko69
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Great pictures, thanks
mitko69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #52
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
Thanks for sharing your ride report and photos. Thoroughly enjoyed every bit. I'm just down the street from you in Cooper City. I recently moved back after being gone for a while. Are you a member of that BMW riding group in Fort Lauderdale? Sun Coast something... I was thinking about checking them out. So far I've just been hitting the pavement solo. Take it easy. I've noticed that there aren't too many of us BMW/GS riders down here.

Scott
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915274
13 Tiger 800
02 Guzzi V11 Tenni *T105*
Stromtrooper246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #53
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Oddometer: 470
What a great ride report with some incredible images...

One question, why the 4/3 over the Leica? Sensor size?
13 Tiger 800
02 Guzzi V11 Tenni *T105*
Stromtrooper246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #54
amzouri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Friend...
Collected between click adventure bike ...
The art of photography
I congratulate you and wish I could share all the pictures most of magnificence
amzouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #55
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post

Scott
Scott, thanks for checking the report! I usually ride solo too, mainly because I'm always working on the weekends, and can't find anyone to share the road with me on a Monday or Tuesday. You're right, not many GS riders down here, which is always a good excuse to ride up north!
PhotoMotoAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #56
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
thank you very much for your kind words. I installed Dragon naturally speaking on my iMac so I can continue to participate in the forum despite having only one hand to type. sadly I think most will be aggravated by my the verbosity because of the ability to dictate...

I am trying to find a way to rehab enough to be able to carry some heavier camera gear to Boston for the head of the Charles Regatta weekend of October 19 where my daughter will be participating as the coxswain of the boys varsity eight from Boston College. Photography has been my love since my father handed me a Nikon FTn in 1969. my orthopedic surgeon is not thrilled on signing off and allowing me to carry my Nikon D4 or D800e and some long lens. I might have to compromise and take the 28 to 300 which is not the highest quality glass but certainly for lighter and will give me to reach I need to see my daughter's boat out of the Charles during the regatta
Hope you're doing better now. From what you say, the d800 and the 28-300 is a winning combination, because of the weight, but I'd first check how does the zoom performs on a 36MB body. These large sensors are great to show the limits of the lesser expensive optics. At the same time though, you have a lot more of room to crop the edges of an image on a D800, usually the areas where the limitations are more apparent. Best of luck!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #57
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
I just may never take another photo ever again the rest of my life! I'll have to say though that I've really enjoyed looking at these so thanks much for doing them. They're great.

Gary
Thanks, Gary, happy to know you like them!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #58
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromtrooper246 View Post
What a great ride report with some incredible images...

One question, why the 4/3 over the Leica? Sensor size?
Thanks! The Leica is a fantastic setup, and my favorite for personal trips, but the main problem in a trip like this is the very narrow range of the lenses. I can go up to 90mm (I find the 135mm too difficult to use for travel photography) and that's it. With the Olympus, I was able to carry the equivalent of a 200-600mm, so the whole system was way more versatile.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #59
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Ricardo,
It is midnight, and I am sitting in this room in the housing unit here in Baghdad Iraq,watching you ride across america!! Sure not making this deployment any easier!!!!!
I think you actually rode thru my hometown near Yosemite, glad you made it through before the fires set in!!

Must say your vid and pics are very inspiring!!!

Of all the questions I can think to ask you, the biggest one is how did you talk your wife into letting you go!! How do you even bring up the idea!!!

Keep up the nice work

I really enjoyed it

Regards

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #60
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Ricardo,
It is midnight, and I am sitting in this room in the housing unit here in Baghdad Iraq,watching you ride across america!! Sure not making this deployment any easier!!!!!
I think you actually rode thru my hometown near Yosemite, glad you made it through before the fires set in!!

Must say your vid and pics are very inspiring!!!

Of all the questions I can think to ask you, the biggest one is how did you talk your wife into letting you go!! How do you even bring up the idea!!!

Keep up the nice work

I really enjoyed it

Regards

Thanks for watching the video and checking the photos, and sorry to make the deployment a bit worse! On the other hand, they may make the first ride when you're back home at lot sweeter, or so I hope. In any case, a big thank you just for being out there, that goes without saying...

As for my wife, she knew I've always wanted to do long road trips, and my only guess is that she was prepared for the news once I'd decided to buy a bike after 15 years without one. She knew right then I was going for it, and when I brought the BMW home almost 2 years ago, the first thing she said to me was 'When do you leave for Alaska?'. I smiled and said 'Summer of 13', and that settled it. She was always a great supporter and an even bigger worrier, but once I showed her the SPOT Tracker, things got much easier.

My biggest problem now will be how to tell her I want to go to Ushuaia in 2015?

Stay safe out there and come back home soon. I did ride through Merced, you're lucky to be from such a nice part of the country...

PhotoMotoAdv screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 02:56 PM