Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #61
I.Will.Ride.On.Mars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Gear Question

First of all your photos are fantastic.

Secondly, how did you keep power to your iPhone while listening to music and riding? I didn't see any cable to power it. I have an iPhone and I know the battery won't last all day, especially listening to music.

Also, I think I read you used bluetooth to get instruction from your GPS? How did you like that? Did it work well?

Cheers and awesome trip!

97 DR350SE
I.Will.Ride.On.Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:46 AM   #62
pamplonika
Spritfresser

Oddometer: 27
Stunning images, both from the scene and from your work as a photographer.
I really enjoyed this report. Thank you.
The video makes you want more. Am looking forward to your blog.

pamploniko
pamplonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:12 AM   #63
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Covered much

of the same roads this summer but I should have stayed home and waited for your pictures, incredible.

I really like your "no hands photo" on the Casiar. I skipped by it quickly at first and thought - wait a minute - somethings different here.

What a gift you have
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:14 AM   #64
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricaserpa View Post
Hope you're doing better now. From what you say, the d800 and the 28-300 is a winning combination, because of the weight, but I'd first check how does the zoom performs on a 36MB body. These large sensors are great to show the limits of the lesser expensive optics. At the same time though, you have a lot more of room to crop the edges of an image on a D800, usually the areas where the limitations are more apparent. Best of luck!
You are perfectly correct in your assessment. I Have been happier with that in theory lesser quality lens than I thought I would be using the D 800E. right now I'm just waiting for my right shoulder to go through rehabilitation so I can take my cameras to Boston to take pictures of my daughter in the head of the Charles Regatta
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #65
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:

My biggest problem now will be how to tell her I want to go to Ushuaia in 2015?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm can we do that in four weeks? Next summer I am looking at a 2 week meander to tag the southwest US, that hits the fourth corner for me!!

glad to see that you had an amazing trip and finally got to hang out with ALCANRIDER!! We need to find a weekday for comparing notes!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #66
jpkennedy71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Outstanding!

Just outstanding! Your ability to capture the essence of what you see just underscores my need to get on a bike and get to the Northwest. I can't wait to look at your blog and ride report, which I am sure will keep me up late when I do get to it!

Thank you for the inspiration!

Deals Gap: 318 curves in 11 miles
Florida: 11 curves in 318 miles
jpkennedy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #67
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Will.Ride.On.Mars View Post
First of all your photos are fantastic.

Secondly, how did you keep power to your iPhone while listening to music and riding? I didn't see any cable to power it. I have an iPhone and I know the battery won't last all day, especially listening to music.

Also, I think I read you used bluetooth to get instruction from your GPS? How did you like that? Did it work well?

Cheers and awesome trip!
Thanks! I had a Touratech Cockpit II installed, so I could power the radar detector from there and also the iPhone by the end of the day. Listening to music the whole day would make the iPhone discharge by mid-afternoon, so I just plugged it in for a couple of hours. As for the GPS, I never use the voice feature, just check it visually. The voice is annoying after sometime, and I'd rather listen to some good Allman Brothers without interruptions!
PhotoMotoAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #68
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm can we do that in four weeks? Next summer I am looking at a 2 week meander to tag the southwest US, that hits the fourth corner for me!!

glad to see that you had an amazing trip and finally got to hang out with ALCANRIDER!! We need to find a weekday for comparing notes!!!
Hey Andy, good to hear from you! We will definitely get together to compare notes and finally get to know each other after the dust settles down. Right now I'm still trying to catch up with so many different things after 10 weeks away. Jack was incredible, I left a good friend up there and we still have to finish the Dempster to Inuvik. We got close, and I turned back following his advice, but now he is in for the rest of the road sometime in the future.

4 weeks to Ushuaia and Rio? It can be done, but we wouldn't get to see much of the road while we rush down there. i think this is more of another long one. One day...
Old 09-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #69
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpkennedy71 View Post
Just outstanding! Your ability to capture the essence of what you see just underscores my need to get on a bike and get to the Northwest. I can't wait to look at your blog and ride report, which I am sure will keep me up late when I do get to it!

Thank you for the inspiration!
Thanks, and I hope you will enjoy the blog posts!
Old 09-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #70
I.Will.Ride.On.Mars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Thanks! I had a Touratech Cockpit II installed, so I could power the radar detector from there and also the iPhone by the end of the day. Listening to music the whole day would make the iPhone discharge by mid-afternoon, so I just plugged it in for a couple of hours. As for the GPS, I never use the voice feature, just check it visually. The voice is annoying after sometime, and I'd rather listen to some good Allman Brothers without interruptions!
Cool and thanks!

Allman Brothers. Nice!

97 DR350SE
I.Will.Ride.On.Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #71
Prime Mover
Anything Can Happen

Oddometer: 1,040
100 percent amazing photos. I have a simple $100 pocket camera and that is unfortunately all I will ever have. Thanks for posting those incredible pictures.
"Better to live alone in the desert than with a nagging wife" - Proverbs 21:19
Prime Mover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #72
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,593
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a trip of a lifetime...
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #73
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Mover View Post
100 percent amazing photos. I have a simple $100 pocket camera and that is unfortunately all I will ever have. Thanks for posting those incredible pictures.
Thanks! Don't worry about the $100 pocket camera, for it's not that important. You will be more limited, of course, but with the right light and a good eye, any camera will do!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #74
PhotoMotoAdv OP
PhotoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a trip of a lifetime...
It was... until the next trip of a lifetime!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #75
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Some people are able to grasp the technical aspect of how a camera works. Some people just have an eye of an artist. You sir are great at both. Your pictures just tell a story. I just got back from a nine day trip and your pictures make me want to hit the road again. When doing landscapes if you don't cause wonderlust in the viewer have you really done your job? You have.

I just live about 45 minutes up US27 from you. Riding our hot flat roads are kind of bitter/sweet after an epic trip.
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote