Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
Oz_ OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
New Oberon Clutch slave leaking

Hello,

I am due to head out to Europe on Thursday evening and so had my head bearings done on my 950 by one of the local motorcycle garages as I did not have the time or tools to do it myself. After some clutch slave issues last trip I also had an Oberon slave sat around waiting for me to get the time to fit but work has not allowed so decided to have them do it at the same time.

After picking the bike up last night and 4 miles into my journey I stop at a red light and see a small cloud of smoke float from underneath the bike, I thought maybe they had got something on the exhaust and it was just burning off so carried on, few miles later same thing happened. I got home took a look and could see fluid dripping from the slave... shop does not open again till Wednesday..

I've taken the slave off the bike and wondering if any of you with experience can help work out whats wrong, what do you think the best course of action would be etc.

A picture of the slave is here:

http://imageshack.us/f/585/gmtj.jpg

So to me it looks like there is no ball bearing in there, what do you guys think and would this cause the leak?

Also it looks like the fluid is coming out of the small hole (the one at 2 o clock), is it supposed to be doing that?
Oz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Oddometer: 233
Looks like the ball bearing is in there just not very visible with the grease around the ball. Maybe the shop never cleaned the mounting areas on the bike and the plastic spacer and it isn't getting a good seal.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
Oz_ OP
Adventurer

Hey thanks for the quick reply, does the ball bearing get punched down into the housing and no longer removable?

I was under the impression that it should be a sealed unit and no fluid should get into the housing/spacer at all?
Old 08-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Last time cleaning the clutch jet my ball bearing fell out of the Oberon Unit and I just put it back in and all was good. I do believe the unit is sealed but I also think if it isn't mounted properly your fluid will find the least path of resistance and may leak when pressure is applied if there is a gap between the mounting surfaces.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #5
Oz_ OP
Adventurer

Yeah no ball bearing has fallen out, I've poked around with the tip of a hex key and it doesn't look like there is nothing but grease in there.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #6
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Once while cleaning my clutch jet the ball bearing fell out and I just put it back in and all was good. IF there is no ball bearing in there are you still getting good clutch action or does it feel vague. Can you back out the adjustment screw on the lever to see if your getting full travel on your clutch. Adjust the lever as far out as possible just before it hits the guard. I would think if you do this and not getting full engagement the missing ball bearing could be your issue be extending the piston too far in its travel and cause a leak.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #7
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Good luck
Old 08-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 242
Banjo Bolt/Bleeder?

Here is something else you might check.

950SM Clutch microfiche Click on the clutch assembly fiche on the left & scroll down for the parts.

The part(s) I'm thinking are 40 (P/N: 50332062000). The reason i say this...

I just changed my slave too. I put it all back tother and it is working great. But I noticed it was seeping fluid. Turns out, there was a huge build up of chunks from gunky, toasted, and sediment filled clutch fluid in between the banjo bolt and the bleeder. When I disassembled the bleeder from the banjo bolt, I cleaned this crap out. I reassembled, and all is well.

So if you find the slave/piston is in fact not leaking, it might be worth a look at.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 407
IMHO I'd establish if the fluid is coming from the banjo washers/bleeder, or the working face of the cylinder. You mentioned smoke. Was the oil blowing back onto the aft exhaust or what?

It's hard to say with the grease in there if there is a ball or not. Maybe to be sure you should clean the lot out and then you will know. If there is no ball then perhaps the piston has come too far out and let fluid past. Also, not sure what damage the end of the clutch rod would do to the piston if there was no ball for a while.

Regarding the little hole where the fluid seems to be coming from, isn't that just residual fluid sitting in there, or is it actually flowing?

To check for leaks, if you could find a spanner of pipe wrench or something to fit over the unit while it's off (without scratching that nice orange!) perhaps you could load it up and check.

Failing that I'd quiz the shop or call Oberon for advice or a new ball. Have a nice trip!
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
Oz_ OP
Adventurer

The fluid is definitely flowing out of the little hole on the cylinder face - I am starting to think that its designed to stop the piston over extending by pushing fluid out over there?

I'll call Oberon on the Tuesday (national holiday tomorrow) and see what they say but it looks like the ball bearing isn't in there which is causing the piston to over extend as per Fundy's comments!

Thanks all, ha not what I needed 3 days before I am due to go away.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 496
Use a cotton swab to clean away the grease, it appears (to me) that the ball is in the hole..
as to why it is leaking out of the small hole...I got nothing.
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 407
Is that little hole for assembling the silver part into the main body? For the tool to fit into. If so perhaps it's a fault.
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Produc...FZMQtAodyWQApg
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Howz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Is the rubber O ring in place on the Oberon unit?
Howz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICERIDER View Post
Is that little hole for assembling the silver part into the main body? For the tool to fit into. If so perhaps it's a fault.
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Produc...FZMQtAodyWQApg
The two small holes directly across from each other are for a pin spanner, the single small hole at 2'olcock appears to be a vent...it can not get fluid unless it passes past both of the seals..perhaps it had some residule fluid left inside..and that is what was seeping out.
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
I had an issue when I replaced my slave with the Oberon but kept the stock plastic backer. It ended up causing binding because it was warped slightly (the backer) and didn't mate well with the new slave. I installed the Oberon aluminum backer and it works better now.