User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Should I be concerned buying a used Zumo 550?

I am in the market for a Zumo and have had a few inmate offer for me to buy their used Zumo 550's. I know the 550 is a good Zumo but also realize it is discontinued from Garmin and it seems like they had some Map issues. Is there any reasons to not get a 550. Will I be able to buy a lifetime maps card and keep this unit up to date even it is discontinued? Any information on why or why not to buy would be appreciated..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
PhoenixRising01
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Zumo 550

I bought a used 550 on ebay two years ago. It quit on me a few months ago, and I called Garmin. They sent me a updated one in return for $165 and my non-working Zumo. i THOUGHT IT WAS A GREAT DEAL.
PhoenixRising01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,249
Having just bought a POS 550 from an inmate, I'll tell you what to look for.

Pull out the battery and look at the build date. An old one will likely need replacing. Mine lasts 15 minutes, build date 07/2008. "Excercising" a Lithium battery doesn't work and in theory, isn't applicable.

Make sure you ask for a pic of ALL the included accessories you'll be getting and whether they work or not. Any hidden damage?

Get the "Map Info" to see how old they are. Updates are $90 for lifetime and half for a one time. Some people sell hacked maps for cheap if you are that type.

450's are no longer supported so once it quits, it's parts.

See how long it takes to boot up and load maps. Should be under a minute.

Zoom out till you see most of NA then scroll around to see if it responds quickly. Mine is F'd and won't zoom out past the 30 mile scale. "Drawing........" wait 5 minutes! If you can't zoom out to Max and then scroll to the tip of South America quickly then it's internal memory is going and will die at some point. It will work for finding local stores till it croaks. That's how my 450 went anyway.

The MC cradles often blow due to water even tho they're supposed to be able to handle it. I'm on my 3rd this year doing 25K kms rain or shine. One cradle charges but there's no audio output.

The digitizers make it go wonky but are cheap and easy to replace with an excellent how-to here.

Just pretend you're buying it from a "Used Car Salesman" and be thorough. Regretfully, I bought mine in the FM without being able to see it first hand. I would have expected what I got had it been an Ebay find.

But I do like them and have bought another from a different inmate who gave a money back guarantee. It's a fantastic unit.

PS...I did try all the tricks with my junk and Garmin tried to talk me through it then gave up. Said it was too old and feeble.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,719
I REALLY like the 550. I've had one for probably 5 years. I transfer it back and forth between my motorcycles and cars, so its been used in a lot of environments. I did have to replace the battery and there is now a small (<1cm>) green spot on the screen. But it still works and I am comfortable. 90% of my use is on road. I don't care anything about tracking. All I want a GPS to do is show me where I am and help me get where I want to go.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
jon_b
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I have had one for about 3 years now, bought new, and picked up lifetime maps for it a couple years ago. The on-board memory won't hold the full North America map but you can split it onto a microSD card or only upload the area you need.

I dropped it on the ground about a year ago which broke the front bezel off. I tried to repair it with a glue gun but it kept falling off, now I don't bother and don't have any problems with moisture affecting it (I'm in the soggy Pacific NW).

I have a RAM cradle for the bike and use the included mini-USB->car lighter for powering it. Even in pouring rain there hasn't been a problem although don't forget to pop out the cord before removing it from the cradle. I've bent the mini-USB end a few times and am surprised it still works without issue. I ordered a 2nd battery for it the other day as my old one would only work for a couple hours before conking out and I'd prefer not to fiddle with the power cable when shopping around in town.

It can take 30 seconds to a minute to search out POI's near you which does get a bit annoying but not enough for me to pay the Zumo tax. I've only used it on the road though, need a bike that doesn't get skittish of gravel before I'll venture off-road again.

Good unit, would recommend.
jon_b is offline   Reply With Quote