User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Colorado and Utah via Monsoon

Been putting this off long enough. Several years ago I purchased a wr250r to make riding the trails easier and less expensive than dropping a vstrom and replacing bits. After using up vacation year after year on projects and other endeavors, it was time to take a long trip. This year I decided to take the WR out to the mountains, to ride those passes I past by last year on the versys. Planning took a couple of months, the bike had to be serviced and prepped with new tires, brakes, fluids, etc. The tow vehicle had to have a hitch, wiring, and we needed a trailer. Lots to do with only 2 months.

Here are some pics of the ride to wet your appetite.
IMG_2764
IMG_2650
IMG_2610
IMG_2591

IMG_2769

IMG_2733
Old 10-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,500
Hey Rolf,

I'm in for this one----and see how you guys got along with those monster storms !!!

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Finding another rider

Early on I thought this would be a great solo trip. After talking to BigDog and other riders, I decided on following the COBDR and UTBDR trails with another rider. Where to find someone willing to take off work for over 2 weeks to ride in the mountains? Why here of course. I posted in the trip planning forum, and had several replies. After sending lots of pms, Artlocks agreed on the agenda.

See him here:
IMG_2733

Our time frame was Sep 3rd thru the 18th. We would do over 2300 miles in 2 weeks, not including the 1900 mile drive out and back.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Hey Rolf,

I'm in for this one----and see how you guys got along with those monster storms !!!

BigDog
We had to bypass 3 sections in utah due to flooding and clay. Onion creek road, while pretty and fun, was a little stressful as rain was on our tail and it had already washed out the road in several places. As I read your report, I see alot of the same shots. You will recognize this spot:
IMG_2834
Old 10-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 0 out of town, but not on this trip

The week before the trip was full of bike prep and last minute details that are boring, but can bite you in the ass if you forget. I had planned a camping trip down to hawn state park in MO before the trip. So I packed up the versys with all the camping gear and made my way down. Enjoyed the trip, and waterproofed my tent while there with seam sealer. I was quite a bit drier thanks to this step.
If you wonder why I would go camping in missouri before the ride, see this:
IMG_2480
Pickle creek

IMG_2514

Castor river shutins

Finished my camping weekend and rode back to st louis, refreshed, and ready to pack up for the vacation. My sister was watching my dog over the small camping trip, so I headed out there to pick him out, before dropping him off at the girlfriends. Thank you Christy! Headed home and started prep. Steve was to meet me at home at 6pm. He was prompt, and we loaded bikes on the trailer, hooked up to car, and got everything packing in saddlebags. Steve took over the spare bedroom while I pondered what to bring and what to leave behind. As we both rode WRs, I figured no need to duplicate tools and parts. Steve had a great set of tools and it was all organized, so we left my tools and such behind.

Trying to do a fast and light trip, we opted for minimal clothing, parts, tools, etc. Goal was to make the hard stuff easier with a light load. With this accomplished, I hit the sack and set the alarm for 5. We had a long drive ahead the next morning.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 1 - the drive

Up and out early, checked the bikes, topped off water and food for cat, and headed out the door.
on the way.

Steve and I split the driving. Our destination was Buena Vista. Lenny at DeerHammer distillery had agreed to let us leave the car and trailer there. 937 long miles to go.
Along the way, not much interested us except the windmills and the big cities. If you have driven 70 through missouri, kansas, and eastern CO you know what I am talking about.
IMG_2575
When we got to CO, the rain started to spit. By Colorado springs, it was wet. We had to drive that last twisty bit in the dark and rain. Hit Buena Vista around 930 or so. Picked a motel, paid up, parked out back, and hit the sack. Tomorrow we would unload bikes, leave car, and take off.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2- First day of riding

Buena Vista to Lake City
We woke up and the car and trailer were still there, so the plan was to unload car and trailer, drive over 5 blocks to distillery, walk back and pick up breakfast. Left everything in the car we did not need, including a set of shin guards I decided would be too bulky. Found the spot Lenny had mentioned in his text. Drove the car up, locked it, and walked up main to find some grub. Stopped at Joans for grub, good breakfast. Walked back to motel and proceded to load up the bikes.
The obligatory pic of us ready to go:
IMG_2577
As we had planned to do this ride clockwise, we would ride south and start with mountain passes and wide open areas. We headed up 306 to cottonwood pass. What a great intro to the passes, mostly paved and easy. Scenery was amazing. Unfortunately, we did not stop and take a lot of pics, but I do have plenty of video from a helmet cam, which will make into daily ride videos.
IMG_2737

Both Steve and I were running 60csx with a combination of tracks that BigDog had massaged, but Steve had city navigator and I had topo. This created some interesting situations when I showed a road he did not. We turned around a bit on the first day of riding, but had a lot of fun. We would figure out our riding tempo this day.
Our first riding break.
IMG_2590
IMG_2589

On the other side of cottonwood pass, we started doubting the tracks as they led off onto two tracked road and through woods. We had our first water crossing at cow creek, luckily caught this on video. We skipped the gas track and headed into tin cup. As it was still early we rode on. More passes and open areas that day. IMG_2739
The closer we got to lake city, the more clouds and rain we saw. We knew it would be a wet night. After making it to lake city, we gassed up, and headed out intending on camping, but as we rode up highway to national forest, the clouds moved in even more. Changed our mind and went back to grab a bite. We stopped at Lake City Cafe where a large group of KTMs were out front. It was a little pricey but quite good. Steve had the guiness chili, I had a reuben and slaw. I checked weather, and lodging options. Afterwards we walked over and chatted to the KTM guys. They had come over section 2 that day, all on big bikes. Everyone had gone down on cinammon or ophir. We would have a good day tomorrow. Another diner mentioned they had help winch RTWDoug over cinnamon that day with his hacked harley. Sounded like it would be fun.

We decided to grab a room up the street. A recently renovated motel, very nice. Pulled up to the room, and I promptly tipped over. The KTM guys had also decided on this motel. Luckily no one saw the tipover, so no pics. As we settled in, I realized I had forgotten my charging cable for the contour video camera. Knowing the best riding was tomorrow, I went over to another riders room and asked to borrow a cable for 30 mins or so to top off the camera. He obliged and the camera was charged up. Can not remember his handle. Would have to stop in ouray tomorrow to pick up a new cable.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,106
Nice pic of the moose. I've seen a couple, just hard to get a shot.
Oh, by the way, the weather is beautiful right now.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Moose and weather

This was a pair of moose, one in lower left hand of pic. We only noticed them when we hit a bunch of california tourists stopped by the road. As we had not seen any wildlife yet, we stopped for a pic too. I guess you can call us tourists as well. I have many close pics of moose from my backpacking trips, tend to be out at dusk like crazy in the mountains.

Weather this day was hit and miss. When we left buena vista, it was sunny and cool. When we got to cumberland pass, the rain and clouds showed up. We had maybe a day and half of consistent good weather on this trip. Weather changed constantly. Some days like the valley of gods day in utah, were amazing. Others it was cold and raining, very dreary. We had some amazing riding every day.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
Bluesjammer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Great pics, I think your GF is running after you in the first pic Stay safe.

Steve
Bluesjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
byways
byways

Oddometer: 1,909
I'm sticking with this one ...

byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2- Lake City to Telluride maybe

We awoke early, as was our goal. 6 am wakeups with an hour to pack and shower, breakfast on the road. This would be our pattern every day for the next two weeks. There was a beautiful sunrise this morning, and we had a long hard day ahead. Today we would hit ophir, cinnamon, corkscrew, and other passes the KTM riders and RTWDoug had issues with. Bring it on.IMG_2593

The night before we had asked the lady that worked the gas station about good camping spots. She mentioned Lake Cristobal, up the road a bit. It had been pouring when we got close the night before, so we grabbed a room. Today we would ride by that park and regret that decision. The camping on this lake is amazing, and would have been great. Must come back to this area and camp.

Right away we started climbing up towards the pass. Along the way we stopped at the remnants of an old cable car. IMG_2599
The road kept getting steeper and more rocky. We passed several great camping locations. Even a couple of cabins near a campsite.
IMG_2604
IMG_2603
After passing all the campers, we kept climbing stopping along the way to catch our breath. Weather was cool, but sunny and had a chance of warming up.
IMG_2608
Once over this pass, we came to animas forks, an old mining town. We stopped for pictures, and to take in the scenery.
IMG_2617
IMG_2630
Unlike alot of other old towns, they were working on repairing the old buildings here.
IMG_2619
You can see the truck at the old hotel/saloon. Hopefully they can get all these buildings preserved for future generations. After the break we continued up to the next pass.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,367
Nice scenery!
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 1 video

Turned out good, except for a dark screen at the end. Will try and post one for each day, just finding music now.

Oh2RideMore screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 07:10 PM
Oh2RideMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
Oh2RideMore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2 passes galore

Worked on this video last night. Hard to cut footage on this day, so many good shots.