Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
just got off the horn with PDX Alamo. sounds like i made the wrong call. no mud and no issues with rain in colorado, in fact, he said it's dry and rocky and that i could have made it through everything except for one technical hill climb section.

crap!

well, here's his pics...

Image by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 1 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 4 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 5 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 6 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 7 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 13 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 15 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 3 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 16 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 17 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 18 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 9 by porkandcorn, on Flickr
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
here's the lately pics off PDX Alamo's camera. these are from utah stage 4 (with the tiger) and stage 3 (with the w250r) after the region got hammered by rain. now i remember why i got scared off the route!

Image 23 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 20 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 26 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 29 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 27 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 28 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 31 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 32 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 19 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 21 by porkandcorn, on Flickr

Image 25 by porkandcorn, on Flickr
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,421
Love that heavy duty WRR earth mover.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #19
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Cry Stage 3 clinger

Well for stage 3 of the UTBDR the plan was for P&C to head to Moab and try and fix his bike up. I really wanted to ride some more and after reading several warnings from the weather service not to go out on back country roads, flash floods, massive flooding, and etc I decided I would give it a whirl. I checked the weather online and looked at the weather radar. I didn't see much brewing in the skies or from last night. I had no problem with the mud or clay and actually enjoyed the challenge.

I headed out on some wide open graded gravel roads.Easy stuff and it started to rain, woops. Well if it gets to bad I will turn around I suppose but no problems at all so far. Then a turn down a road and I pass a rancher on a razor and am in the Utah red dirt action then the road comes to an ubrupt halt.

I think I can make it so I try and move some dirt around and make a litle bridge and take a run at it. Well as you can see it didnt go well and off I go with the bike on top of my leg, glad I have soft bags and just kick the bike off. I have visions of flash floods in my head as the rain starts to fall.

Hummm lets see if we can give it try and walk it out. Well that resulted in a much deeper hole. I walk up to the other side hopoing to see the rancher but hes no where around. The rain is starting to pick up and I need to get this thing out of her. I remembered a trick from a Jimmy Lewis video where he just tips the bike over to each side and the bike unburies itself. Sure enough just a easy walk out after that. It's about a minute in

Ok this was a bad idea, who knows how many other roads are gone or washed out. When I see pavement again I am done for today. Well pavement didn't come for a while. The roads turned to awesome clay and utah red which so i gave my best Disney on Ice show and just held on for the ride as you can see from the tracks.

I had to stop a few times and scrape out my front fender as it was getting weighed down from the clay. This stuff is really no joke folks , its nasty.

Anyhow great views all the way out of here

Once i finally hit pavment i skipped the second half and slabed it to Moab for tourist wonderland of T-shirt shops and ye old fudge factory. I remebered this place very differently when I was here 18 years ago mountain biking the slick rock trail. Anyhow met up with P&C at a hotel and grabed a few beers. We would re evaluate in the morning on the plan. I really wanted to do Lockhart basin but thought we would check with the locals first.

PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,648
hey!
so this is what you've been up to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
I had to stop a few times and scrape out my front fender as it was getting weighed down from the clay. This stuff is really no joke folks , its nasty.
Ugh.
Utah mud

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #21
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh And Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
hey!

Ugh.
Utah mud

Yup and i did Alaska for a month two up in June but still working on the rr, not like you guys, lots of pavement but you inspired my girlfriend and I to go.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #22
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 173
Thumbs down Mud/Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
hey!

Ugh.
Utah mud

We ran into Clay/Mud approaching the small town of Richland in eastern Oregon in May a few years ago. We were on DR650's - between your bikes in weight. It took about 4 hours to do 15 miles, and even downhill the bikes could not move at times. I think they were Trailwing tires. You scrape the mud off the tires and 2 rotations later you scrape again. It clogs up anything close to the rubber. I'll backtrack a full day in future, if I come across it again, rather than trying to get through it. Awful, awful stuff.
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalahari-k View Post
We ran into Clay/Mud approaching the small town of Richland in eastern Oregon in May a few years ago. We were on DR650's - between your bikes in weight. It took about 4 hours to do 15 miles, and even downhill the bikes could not move at times. I think they were Trailwing tires. You scrape the mud off the tires and 2 rotations later you scrape again. It clogs up anything close to the rubber. I'll backtrack a full day in future, if I come across it again, rather than trying to get through it. Awful, awful stuff.
I will say the D606 were as good as could be expected. If I was able to get a few revolutions it would kick out most of the stuff. I went from trail wings to 606 and they are my new tire of choice
Old 09-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #24
DirtyBiker
Roads are to explore

Oddometer: 366
Great RR

Enjoyed your adventure report. Surprised the lighter WR was having difficulty in the mud but the pictures showed why. Amazing stuff.
DirtyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #25
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Crazy mud pics!

Thanks for the ride report and pictures! This brought back memories because I experienced a similar mud situation in Oregon (between Madras and Prineville) back in May, 2011. It took place during my first dual sport/adventure ride.

The weird thing is that now I'm hooked!
NWBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #26
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoon View Post
Thanks for the ride report and pictures! This brought back memories because I experienced a similar mud situation in Oregon (between Madras and Prineville) back in May, 2011. It took place during my first dual sport/adventure ride.

The weird thing is that now I'm hooked!
Ahh Flintstone square wheels , looks like BMW need to raise the front fender a bit also.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #27
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
We had to remove the front fender as well. It was the same situation, the wheel wouldn't turn after several yards of picking up sticky mud. We also had to lay the bike over and scrape the mud from between the rear tire and the swing arm because the mud also locked up the rear.
NWBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #28
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Colorado or bust

Well after a trip to the local Moab moto shop we were told that to attempt Lockhart basin now would be just just plain stupid not to mention the stair steps we would run into would be extremely difficult running the route North to South instead of the way the route intended us to go. P&C talks about his decision making process a few post back and bailed. I was having fun even in the mud and I couldn't find much in google on Colorado being swamped in rain except for Cortez which had record breaking rainfall and flooding. Well after a 5 minute evaluation i concluded that all the route near Cortez might be a mess so I figured start section 2 near Telluride. We parted ways and I was bummed to lose my riding partner but i had intended to do the route solo anyhow so nothing really changed in my mind as getting it done.

Off I went to jump across to section 2 near Telluride and as luck would have it I passed a guy on a DRZ loaded up who pulled over when I hit a rest stop. He was from Colorado and told me he had just run many of those roads on the COBDR and they were just fine. Well lets get rolling.

Nice ride on pavement into Colorado minus some racing against big storms with massive lightning strikes. Who am I kidding that was 1/2 the fun

I made it to Telluride which I hit late in the afternoon with just enough time to knock out Ophir pass. I skipped the town of Telluride since i had heard it was overdeveloped and i had in my mind a different vision which i saw 18 years ago mountain biking through the area. Figured i would keep my memories intact.

Holy cow this ride was going to be bad ass, the climb up the loose rock on Ophir pass was tough and my rev happy WR couldnt keep the revs high enough. I really wish i had changed my gearing now but o well. I chugged along to the other side and awesome scenery on the way out as well.

Unbelievable!!!

Headed down the million dollar highway to Ouray which I would say is well worth the trip as its an awesome jaw dropping curve happy road. I dont have a lot of pics from it as there is no where to really stop.

I hit Ouray for camping which as a campground afficianado was very impressed with the digs. Set up camp and headed into town for a beer at the Ouray brewery and a mongo slab of ribs.

I sent P&C a few pics of the pass and hoped i wasn't rubbing it into much. Back at camp I was sitting at the table and found a visitor a few feet from me.

Well tomorrow was the big show with the high passes up and over and wanted to get there early.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #29
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,421
Nice installment, awesome pics!
Sent you a PM

Bob screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 09:54 PM
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #30
Dan Lorenze
Adventurer