User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #31
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Wow!!

So up at 7 and clear skies abound, this is why i came here for the big passes and I couldn't wait. Drink my coffee overlooking the town of Ouray as the sun lights up the area. Awesome, eat my Oatmeal and head out.

I will just drop a picture bomb here as no need to muck it up with jiber jaber. I will say that the jeeps, quads, mottos, and razor crowds all got a long just fine. Everyone was respectful and accommodating to each other. I really really wish I had changed my gearing for this as i struggled to get up some of the climbs on the loose rock as i couldn't keeps the revs up. If your doing this ride change your gearing, trust me. So without further a delay here is one the most scenic rides I've ever done.

Wow wow wow, this was one of those times when you just stop and take it all in and give a shout inside your helmet "Holy f, this is f'in awesome". Seriously the pics only give you half the picture, unreal.

I hit the town of Lake City to get some gas for me and the bike. Nice little restaurant which even had some Shiner Bock one of my favorite beers. Can this day get any better? While eating I see a fellow inmate Aggie8vr on a Honda NX700 with TKC 80's. I head over and ask him about how the bikes doing off road. He says its been great and been having no issues saying it was like a tractor. He was about to head over the passes i just came from and asked him to do a rr as i really wanted to see how that bike handles it. His buddy was on a KLR and he said he was having an easier time than he was. Interesting bike, I hope Honda uses that platform for the New Africa Twin but with a 21" wheel and some ground clearance.

I still have some time in the day and looking at the map believe I can make it to Pitkin for camping. I was told the road was pretty much a gravel highway and they were right minus a few parts. At one point you head off into a road that is well worn but it helped break up the gravel highway. Not a lot of pics on this route as it was nothing special, anyway here ya go.

Hit Pitkin and set up camp at the very nice campground right out of town. Head back into town which doesn't have much to it and pick the best dinner i can make with the available choices on the shelf. No beer here in town much to my dismay so head back and cook up some non freeze dried grub.

Time do do some charging up, i had set up the Eastern Beaver 3cs before I left but wish i had chosen to have an un switched fuse into my tank bag instead of the direct battery connection I had going on for when the bike was stopped.

Off to sleep around 8:30 and out like a light, kick ass day and will be the highlight of the trip with out a doubt.
PDX Alamo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #32
mr.slowpokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Awesome RR. how's the power of the WR loaded down (besides the gearing)? Looks like the perfect bike for this trip. Does it do well on the hwy? Enjoy the rest of the trip.
mr.slowpokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #33
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Nice pictures!

I was there two weeks ago on my WRR, and I was running 13/48 gearing with a d606 rear tire (a little taller profile). My bike was not loaded like yours, but the only time I really thought much about the gearing was near the top of Immogene Pass. It was steep and loose and at that altitude it wouldn't pull 2nd gear. It was screaming in 1st, but shift into 2nd and it would bog, so I wound up screaming it in 1st to get up the climb. Other than that, it worked well. The lower 1st gear helped on some of the decents too.

Did your fan come on much? Mine came on quite a bit on the longer climbs.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #34
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Some highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.slowpokey View Post
Awesome RR. how's the power of the WR loaded down (besides the gearing)? Looks like the perfect bike for this trip. Does it do well on the hwy? Enjoy the rest of the trip.

Honestly I had no problems with the bike as far as power on the trails, except the climbs on the loose rocks. I am 195 pounds and I pack light. I've done a few back country trips so far on it and I love it. With that being said if they made a WR350R or WR450R I would be in line tomorrow to make up for the few times where i wanted just a bit more. I am a novice at best ; I am sure someone who rides a KTM 500 EXC would be beside himself with the lack of power but it works for me. The times the Tiger was hurting I was having a blast. Thats always the trade off in this ADV game, where do you want the bike to be strong in , trails or road. The elusive quest for the perfect bike is still out there, 660 Tenere maybe? . Its not the rider its the bike and this rider needs all the help he can get.

As far as the HWY my top speed GPS confirmed was 65-70 loaded down for hours on I-80 in Wyoming. I have a Vstrom DL650 i ride as comparison also and to me the WR is not very buzzy or uncomfortable. A guy I met on a DRZ400 said he could do 60-70 but it would rattle the screws loose. I don't know if thats true as I've never ridden one. Would i rather be on the Strom on I-80 absolutely but that wasn't the point of the trip and there is no way in hell i would have wanted the strom on the BDR. A windscreen could have helped a bit as well on the road but i was extended slabbing it one day out of two weeks . If you check out my other rr i did a 3500 mile trip on the WR with the exception of head winds killing my speed, no problems.

For me the reliability of the WR, weight, and ergonomics make since for ME.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #35
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Eek Hollerin WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Nice pictures!

I was there two weeks ago on my WRR, and I was running 13/48 gearing with a d606 rear tire (a little taller profile). My bike was not loaded like yours, but the only time I really thought much about the gearing was near the top of Immogene Pass. It was steep and loose and at that altitude it wouldn't pull 2nd gear. It was screaming in 1st, but shift into 2nd and it would bog, so I wound up screaming it in 1st to get up the climb. Other than that, it worked well. The lower 1st gear helped on some of the decents too.

Did your fan come on much? Mine came on quite a bit on the longer climbs.
Thanks I wish i had a better camera for some of those shots. Yea my bike was doing a lot of first gear action and the times i stalled my bike just started sliding backwards so most of the time I was ringin the neck of the wr to get to the top. The fan may have been running the whole time on the climb but I wouldn't know until I hit the top of the pass to stop and yes the fan was buzzing away. I was running D606 on the rear as well with stock gearing, and I had my tires over-inflated at street pressure.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #36
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,426
Thanks for the update and also the reply!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #37
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking Pitkin to Leadville

Get up in the morning and tried to charge up some things but plugged the SAE plug into the wrong end and smelled that electronic fried smell that I think we all know. Well crap! I plugged it into the switched outlet, still no power. Uh oh the bike wouldn't even start now. Great I just fried the electronics on the bike or maybe just a fuse. I remove all the bags, side panels, break out the tools, take the seat off, and start digging. Check the fuses and they are all good and try to start the bike again but nothing. Jesus what have I done? the dash is lighting up so its getting power

After a minute or two of head scratching it hits me. Hey stupid your kickstand is down. Turns out I only fried the USB charger but i brought a spare so no problem. Put the bike back together and remember to not over think things in the future.

Off I go to Buena Vista and get some cool water crossings, these passes were not nearly as impressive as yesterday but still lots of fun.

Water crossing never get old, always fun but learn to just explore first or I would have been over my boots if I ran the middle.

On the way to Cottonwood pass I ran across a retired couple who's Razor trailer fell off the back of their motorhome and made a mess. The lady told me she was looking for a silver bolt, I immediately knew what she was talking about, I saw it a mile back thinking it was a battery. Headed back and grabbed it off the road, man she was a happy lady. I helped them lift the trailer back onto the motorhome and get it all fixed up. The lady said "Can we pay you for your help?" "Yes mam you can give me a million dollars or zero, your pick" She said "How about a hug" Seemed like fair deal.

Make it up to Cottonwood pass for some amazing views, and run into a few inmates on a Vstrom and 1200 GS headed to Tin cup worried about the terrain. Heck a motorhome can do it I'm sure you will be fine.

On the other side of the pass its pavement to Buena Vista but man its a fun road perhaps the speed limit was exceeded by a few miles an hour.

In Buena Vista I see an old burger place that looks like fun "K's Dairy Delite". They give you celebrity names for your order instead of a number, "Arnold Palmer you order is ready" . Lady told me "Your Johnny Depp" i get that a lot I said. To bad the food was crap

Call P&C tell him its awesome and he is a little pissed he threw in the towel early. Back on the road and what a change as it turns into high dessert and sand what a change from a few miles back.

Then it turns into rolling hills and valleys , the whole trip was like this. You get new scenery in just a few hours. I bet those are some happy cows out there.

Back into he mountains again for more water crossings, aspen groves, and heading over Weston Pass

I make it to Leadville just missing the rain and tried to find a campground at Turquoise Lake on the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend and at 6 campgrounds almost every spot is reserved for the next 4 days. Crap i didn't even think about the holiday! The trails and campgrounds are going to be packed for the next 3 days. Luckily I find a great spot at Father Dyer campground which i thought had the best spots. For those with an Iphone the "Allstays" campground app is a awesome and a must have! it list every campground around you and I mean every with a list of amenities and photos.

My old roommate from College lives in Denver and we arranged for him to meet me here using my spot to find me. I had not seen him in a while so he brings lots of beers and we BS around the campfire for a while until late. I think tomorrow I might take a break and just head to Denver to skip the crowds but I 'll decide in the morning. With 1/2 Utah skipped I have days to burn if I want.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #38
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,735
Awesome report so far.

We were out there at the end of July, early Aug for 2 weeks and originally were supposed to both the COBDR & UTBDR, but we were having so much fun in CO, we turned around at Steamboat and took our time getting back to Durango where we had started from. I'll get my report going here at some point.

I was on a WR250R along with my buddy, my wife was on a CRF250L, we had my buddies gf on her Super Sherpa, and finally my buddies brother on a CRF250L, but only for 2-3 days before he fried his clutch from a broken clutch basket. I was really happy to have taken the WRR on the trip and would take it again in a heartbeat!

I was running 13/49 gearing with a 120/90 rear tire. I was glad I was geared down from my normal 13/45 and you are right at times I felt it could have been lower, but it certainly worked out. My buddy was running 13/48 with a 120/90 rear tire also. My wife's CRF was down 1 tooth in the front, but the other CRF stayed with stock gearing and struggled because of that among other things.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #39
this is a RV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Great report and photo's. I was on the same week as Bluelghting,
this is a RV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #40
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Outstanding...........maybe next year for me........keep it coming and P&C is for sure wishing he was along for the venture.

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #41
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Question Intermission

Well after a long night of drinking and reliving our College days I woke up and decided i didn't want to share the trails with every Joe 6 pack in the greater Denver area. After buying some ratchet straps and locating a hill with enough slope to allow us to get the bike in the back, ahhh 300 lbs bikes are the best sometimes. I tossed my bike in the back of my buddies truck and headed to Denver for a few days break. The older I get the more difficult it is to find time to see friends or even talk. With everyone living their own busy life it seems to take a concerted effort to maintain ties. Anyhow we stopped by a lake on the way back to see if we could catch some dinner but no dice , man is Colorado Awesome!!

I sure am glad i headed to Denver as it appeared the entire city was jammed up in traffic getting out of town.

Anyhow I helped the local economey by drinking lots of beer every night . My buddy said he would give me a lift back so i didn't have to slab a bunch of miles to get back to my starting point which was about 2 1/2 hours from Denver. Ill finish this bad boy up tomorrow since its my day off.

Now lets all go to the lobby and get a treat

Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #42
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink Highest "road" in Colorado, sort of not really

Well after a nice weekend I was anxious to get back on the road, I was up early and all packed up ready to to go but my friend slept until almost noon. Granted the labor day BBQ we had went way late and more beer put away. I think it was my awesome BBQ carrots and burgers.

After driving around for 20 minutes looking for a loading dock to roll the bike into the truck we found one at a hospital. We pulled up to check the height and security was on us in a minute. The gal said we couldn't use it so I rephrased it to her "So I hear what your saying, we can not use it and if i fall off and break my neck we cant sue you because you forbid me to use the area. With that being said if someone were to come back would they cause you much grief?" She smiled and said "I hear what your saying and walked off" I took that as a yes. We came back with the bike and it was loaded up in 30 seconds.

The route out of Denver took us down 285 to about 1/2 way to Leadville at Bailey with WR riding bitch in the back. We grabbed some lunch, unloaded the bike, and parted ways. The road back north to Denver on 285 was a parking lot for the 50 miles to FairPlay with a giant string of slow moving cars. This helped reaffirm my decision to take a break in Denver. At FairPlay I headed north to Mosquito Pass which is the highest continuous road in Colorado that goes over a pass which would land me right in Leadville to pick up where I left off. I later learned that Mount Evans is a higher road, so O well.

Anyhow it was more difficult than the other passes just because the rocks were bigger and felt like driving through a river bed more than a road.

I hit Leadville and after grabbing some gas decide even at 5 pm I could make it over Hagerman pass to Sylvan Lake State Park for the night. Fairly ambitious but if I didn't make it i would just camp off the road. Not a lot of pics due to the massive hale and rain storm I ran into. I wished i had my Pin-lock shield as trying to peer through a fogged up visor was no fun. Anyhow i burned through that distance in an hour and half and made it just before dark.

Grabbed a spot next to two retired guys on a DRZ400 and 1200GS who were doing the COBDR with no map or tracks just winging it. I let them look at my map which I hope was a big help to em. We traded gear recommendations and talked for a few hours around the camp fire. They had been riding motos longer than I had been alive. Stories of driving a Norton across the USA with a Army poncho as rain gear I realized I had it pretty easy. Nice fellas, and always nice when traveling solo that you have two wheeled friends everywhere you go.

This was a nice Sate Park and with no light around you could see every star in the sky, I hadn't seen a night sky like this in a while.

I hit the hay and planned on knocking out the rest of section 4 and finishing section 5 the next day.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #43
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Wicked Gravel Freeway

After the guys next door let me take their DRZ400 and 1200 GS for a spin around the grounds I packed up my goods and headed off. I asked if i could get a picture of them next to their bikes and they said sure just don't post it. Fair enough, I think I will start doing this even though it feels awkward at first but the people i meet are just as big a part of the trip as the hundreds of sunsets and vistas.

Took off over to Gypsum and grabbed some lunch at a Mexican Restaurant then off into the dessert for a while. Perhaps it was all the amazing scenery prior to this but this was pretty boring in comparison, if your short on time i don't think your missing anything on this leg. You will make serious time on this route since its like a gravel highway, 60 mph fairly steady.

I did run across the deepest water crossing of the trip which was a bit of an experience. I scouted out the best route which looked like it would go almost to the seat anyway. I headed in and it was much deeper than I thought and in my head I kept chanting "Dont stop, dont stop, keep going" The bike was bogging down and I hugged the edge and out i was. Hot dog I did it, man those never get old. I attempted to get a pic to show how deep it was but to no avail. In reality it was maybe only 1/2 way up the bike but lets not ruin my version. I suppose this is the picture on the back of the map og the GS barreling through.

I was also looking forward to the Stage coach stop but it was roped off and boarded up, mehhh

I hit Steamboat Springs pretty quick and had initially thought about hanging out there for the night but that thought quickly passed. Back to the woods ; hoping I would make it to Steamboat Lake State Park before dark and set up camp, no problem there more gravel highways.

It was a nice campground but $25 seems a bit steep for a tent spot Denver State Parks, c'mon. Pit toilets with no lights or sinks which is no problem but not when its those kind of rates. I digress i did get an awesome spot on the water.

My chain looked a bit loose and had been making a weird noise but it seemed to be ok. I had stopped on the trail to fix it but didn't feel like undoing everything. Lesson learned later.

Freeze dried for dinner and no beer around at the closed campground store, early night and tomorrow SUPER SLAB!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #44
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

The End

Well I was up and ready to go but debated about tightening the chain but still thought it was going to be ok so off I go. I finished the route pretty quick and really nothing to take pics of except when I crossed the Sate line, I made it!

I hit pavement in Wyoming on Hwy 70 and tok it to Baggs. Grabbed some gas and had an elaborate route of back roads planned but since everything seemed so bla in the landscape department I thought the hell with it super Slap me. Headed north through industrial gas land and to I-80 and just accepted the fact everyone was going to be passing me. Boring Boring drive as I tried acrobatics and switching cheeks from side to side. The WR was pegged out and held a respectable 65 on the GPS I patted her a few times on the side as we rolled for hours. "Good bike R2". I stopped every time I saw gas around 70 miles or so just to break up the monotony.

I pulled into Green River and grabbed some gas and a stretch. I pulled out of the station and the bike was jerking but not losing gas. Is this the fuel pump failure I heard about? The only flaw of this bike I know of. Once I hit the freeway again it went away.

Cruising along when I see a few cars behind me so I pull over to let them pass and when I start back up GRRRRAARTTT jerk GRRRRRATT . O crap. There are some sounds you don't need to be a mechanic to understand. This was the unmistakable sound of a loose chain trying to grab the sprockets. Please let me make it someplace i only have 100 miles to go. Luckily i was near Diamondville and pulled into the gas station. looked at my chain and it was just hanging off. I broke out my tool kit to loosen the back wheel and adjust it. Hummm this 5 inch long wrench aint going to break the 100 lbs of torque on here. I tried with everything i had, kicked it, borrowed a larger pair of channel locks forma guy, and nothing. Never thought about not having enough leverage just figured had the wrench so i was good. Better to learn this here than on the trail someplace.

A local suggested I try the local Auto Zone so off I went with my chain making the worst noise, I just new it was going to pop. Luckily at the intersection I saw a Ford dealership and pulled in. I saw a mechanic and pleaded my case, just needed to borrow a breaker bar or wrench.

Well the whole crew came out to help and he handed me a 3 foot long big boy wrench and said "Its your bike , you turn it" easy work of that. Really nice group of folks there at Frontier Ford. I told them about my trip and they helped me get my chain straightened out. Ahh trail or in this case road magic, I offered the guy some beer but they declined saying I did all the work. I wished them the best and off i went to Logan Utah where I hoped my truck still was.

And so it was ....the ride that day was pretty lame but the road magic and ride from the top of garden City to Logan was the perfect way to end the trip.

I pulled into the hotel where my truck was left and relieved it still had all its windows and was there, found a hill and rolled the bike into the truck.

Adventure was officially over.

I started out of town and made it a few miles and realized i was too exhausted and turned around to grab a hotel. Logan is a great little town, couple pics I took while grabbing some food.

As I sat in my hotel room and played on the internet I quickly realized it was back to the same ol same ol and prepared for my 12 hour drive back to Portland the next day.

Thanks for checking the RR out, hope you enjoyed it or got something from it. I take a lot from the site and ya gotta give something back right. Well I will do my gear report later this week. Im a gear nerd so stand by.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #45
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

One more thing

I rode the Tiger 800 XC for the first time yesterday and it was an incredible machine. Crazy fast and feels much lighter and nimble than i thought.

I see why P&C loves that machine but I would kill myself on it as I would never let off the throttle. Anyhow its a pretty sweet ride