Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
Can you give me some things that he could have modified that would be bad? Or is there some things that a buddy owners do as performance mods? Taking cash tomorrow, little nervous about the mods now.
well when you mod things it all depends. i am no expert but engine mods should be done uniformly, as well as other things. small engines, low tolerances, if one component is strengthened another might be weakened by it, etc. it can cause strain, so to speak

BUT...Buddy's are routinely modded. so just go on down and look at it but don't jump at it imo. it will be on sale awhile, most likely. easy does it and keep posting here and elsewhere with good questions :)
Old 08-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #17
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
He said the mods are an aftermarket variator, rollers and clutch spring. 3000 miles. Will see tonight.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
You might look at a used SYM HD200. Plenty of pep and well-made. I got a used 2012 for $2100. Older models would be less.
That was on my list for him.

And I only know what I read on the interwebs.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #19
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
He said the mods are an aftermarket variator, rollers and clutch spring. 3000 miles. Will see tonight.
good to know. fairly common CVT mods, sounds like a complete job. and although it takes a bit out of the engine it doesn't mean you have to use it like that all the time. the scooter should be plenty peppy as a result

3000 miles is pretty low. if the engine is in good working order besides a possible valve check i cannot think of anything the scooter would need besides tires 'n brakes for the next several thousand miles. maybe another set of rollers if the aftermarket ones wear, but thats it really

good luck hope it turns out well if you like the scoot
Old 08-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,508
Any 125-150cc NON Chinese scooter in good condition will do the job fine. The Kymco Agility 125 is the lowest priced "new" 125cc scooter out there, they can often be gotten new for $2000 OTD. But their quality is just as good as all the rest. I would look for a stock scooter, most people who modify scooters have no idea what they are doing, and can wind up doing some expensive damage. I have two 125 scooters, both completely stock. A stock Buddy 125 goes plenty fast for anything but the freeway.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #21
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

true jerry, and is why i am weary of mods, too. i am always of the mind just get the scooter you NEED from the start. but some folks like to tinker

the mods on this Buddy are fairly common and reversible if desired. low mileage, and it comes with a Blackjack seat and racks and top case. sure you can get a NEW Kymco or Lance 125 these days for just over $2000 give or take, with warranty. but this scoot was nearly $2800 MSRP 3000 miles ago AND it comes with accessories. it is a good deal if a good scoot

even better if the buyer can talk it down to $1600
Old 08-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

I did it. $1700. It was going to be 1600 but I didn't have a way to get it home and he loaded it up in his truck and brought it 30 min across town to drop it off. So I gave more. It looks new to me. 2400 miles. Rides great, I think. Well worth it hopefully.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #23
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
I did it. $1700. It was going to be 1600 but I didn't have a way to get it home and he loaded it up in his truck and brought it 30 min across town to drop it off. So I gave more. It looks new to me. 2400 miles. Rides great, I think. Well worth it hopefully.

Congrats! Enjoy your new scooter!

Captain Jim
Old 08-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #24
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
if its like most Buddy's it is well worth it. and if it suits your needs. 40mph is great on a Buddy, and rough roads are OK. i mean its a small wheeled scooter and you know what that means over rough stuff, but its comfortable enough and composed

it has around the same amount of miles as my 150 which is the same engine except for the slightly bigger bore or w/e it's called? anyway i just put mine into serious service after some neglect in favor of my other scooter. after 300 hard rode city miles this week it will remain in service for the foreseeable future. its just earnestly riding it for the first time the Buddy now seems a revelation whereas before it seemed very good, but not great. now it does in fact seem great. so light and maneuverable and easy to flick around

but i have a Blackjack with all the suspension goodies and performance brakes so yeah

anyway 150 and Blackjack or not its essentially the same scooter and should be good to you. as said, over at the Modern Buddy forum most problems are typical "no start" things solved and fixed for good. very few reports of out and out failure of engines or major components. higher then usual stator failure rate in '09 models and several broken crank reports over the years under extreme conditions. or not so extreme? but those are exceptions in otherwsie tough and durable scooters

not good enough, get a Honda

but it won't be a Buddy

DudeClone screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 11:40 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:21 AM   #25
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

What top box and rack is that on the buddy? The one I got has the stock rear rack and aftermarket buddy box but Id like a bigger one.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:55 AM   #26
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

have no idea of the case but it looks like the Prima rack, here

http://www.scooterworks.com/prima-re...4#.Uh3U-RuUTJI

actually cheaper then ebay prices. can find good accessories on sale at the Modern Buddy forum, too. from owners. but you have to sign up to view THAT part of the board

another thing you may be interested in is the "Gen-u-Bin" for the front storage cubby. it transforms it into this

http://www.scooterworks.com/gen-u-bi...4#.Uh3WHxuUTJI

if the scoot works out for you and you want to add some black and replace some chrome this is just out, too. pretty sure you have a red scooter and this looks sharp on the red imo

http://www.scooterworks.com/scooterw...p#.Uh3WzRuUTJI

DudeClone screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 04:02 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #27
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
What top box and rack is that on the buddy? The one I got has the stock rear rack and aftermarket buddy box but Id like a bigger one.
That is a Shad 33 liter

http://www.shad.es/en/shad-usa/produ...s/sh33/c17r23/

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #28
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
it has around the same amount of miles as my 150 which is the same engine except for the slightly bigger bore or w/e it's called? anyway i just put mine into serious service after some neglect in favor of my other scooter. after 300 hard rode city miles this week it will remain in service for the foreseeable future. its just earnestly riding it for the first time the Buddy now seems a revelation whereas before it seemed very good, but not great. now it does in fact seem great. so light and maneuverable and easy to flick around
Our Buddy was the first of our scooters I rode after I got clearance to ride again (recovery from broken tib/fib/ankle). I don't ride it very often anymore but every time I do I get reminded what a great little scoot it is. FWIW, when we decided to sell one of the small (150cc or less) scoots I asked my son which he'd prefer to keep since he was the primary rider of them. He chose the Buddy over a Vespa ET 4 150. Can't really say I blame him since the Buddy has faster acceleration and not any real difference in top end between the two. Though I'll keep my Vespa GTS 250.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #29
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
The Genuine Buddy 125/150 engine is one of the few that has an actual filter element, as compared to just an oil strainer screen . . the downside.

For others researching . . Lance comments.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #30
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

thanks tortoise2, good stuff. that oil filter thing is a bad thing, indeed