Oddometer: 6,851
In!

Adventure is where you find it!

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
2WheelTrampin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,137
So in. Amazing stuff! I rode a 50cc down a mainway about 50 miles to the beach and back, you're one brave man! Loving it! I hope to go coast to coast soon here on an old Harley.
2WheelTrampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:47 AM   #20
LATJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Awesome! Thanks for posting up!

Save 5 bucks when signing up for SmugMug. Enter coupon code: hgeNbdcSOWAXM
LATJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #21
Laconic
Añejo

Oddometer: 16,238
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #22
jestragon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
I don't use this word often, but: Awesome!
jestragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #23
RobbieAG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Looks like a great time! Subscribed.
RobbieAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #24
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelTrampin View Post
I hope to go coast to coast soon here on an old Harley.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 09-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #25
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Oh yeah! One of my favorite reports was the one by the couple who rode similar bikes around the world. Looking forward to your next post. IN!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #26
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,617
Looking forward to more.

Subscribed.
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #27
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,074
Good Stuff !!!

I will keep checking back for updates.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #28
Walrus Oilsworth OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Updated September 25th, 2013
Day 81
Odometer: 7000 miles
Apologies for crappy photo quality. Was reduced to my camera phone for this leg.

Route for this update:

View Larger Map

I spent I think 10 days in Lander, WY. Kicked back, went up into the Wind River Range for a couple nights, and worked on Walrus..... a lot. Winter is coming. There was a definite change in temperature between the time I arrived and left Lander. On the ride to Wisconsin I would find frost on my tent and bike every morning. It was cold riding, even at 40mph. I rise before daybreak and enjoy the morning atop Walrus watching the sun rise. Because of the low temperatures I had to add a couple steps to breaking camp and suiting up. Namely, putting on every single layer I had leaving my saddlebags rather empty, and sliding all the extra socks I brought with over my riding gloves. Still, I'd shiver maybe 40 miles to the first establishment I could warm up in. Beyond the morning frostbite the riding was superbly comfortable as the sun got higher in the sky. Ultimately, I will not be leaving for the east coast without winter gear. Time to scrounge second hand stores for snowmobile clothing.

Lander was a great place to rest up in. Along with the fantastic backcountry are great people. The stay was highlighted by a quick 2 night backpacking stint in the Wind River Range.

It rained most of our time above 10,000ft. Regardless, I was all smiles. Traveling by foot is perhaps the only way to live. Riding is ok too.

Before we went up into the mountains, we met the neighbors walking their dog. They ran into us when the car suddenly died after driving through a large puddle. Anyways, neighbor T was generous enough to offer me his shop to work on Walrus if I needed to. Considering the amount of oil ol' Wally consumes, I took him up on the offer when we got back.

A nice clean shop! Exactly what I was looking for. I've spent many an hour on the road dreaming about changing the head and base gasket, both of which gush oil. Here was my chance.

Down comes the engine. Spent two days making a plethora of improvements to Walrus. I was basking in the wealth of tools and supplies available to me.

Off comes the head and sleeve. Oh boy.... It's worse than I thought. Didn't take too many pictures but bottom line, Wally is worn out. I'm guessing all 17,000 miles are on this one top end. Signs of rich running due to altitude are prevalent. Carbon everywhere.

I guess it's not that bad I tell myself. Ultimately there isn't much I can do. I've gotta make it to the east coast before the snow hits. Can't wait for new rings or rebuild the top end. Shit, can't do anything unless I have the parts on me. The cylinder is scored and glazed. It's fine I say. I have to ride.

Man the base gasket might as well of been welded to the jug. Spent at least 2 hours with nothing but a razor blade scraping that thing off. Got most off and said, "Good enough for who it's for." Sorry Wally...

Time for a bath! Can't make the bike look too good. Don't wanna give off a false impression. A quick power wash will do.

A great two days in the shop. T lets me ride his KTM 690 around as well as his brand new trials bike, a 300cc 2-stroke. You know, the kind you can do wheelies on in fourth gear..... from a stop. As a going away present I receive a new rear sprocket. I leaked that I had just recently put a new chain on and was worried the new chain would immediately get stretched out due to old sprockets. T found one in town. Can't thank you enough for your generosity. The old sprocket used to look worse but the new chain kinda wore it back to being decent. Here's the comparison.

And I'm off! Here I am leaving the canyon in route to Wisconsin. Thank you K for the collage! Beats my crappy phone camera pictures.

I find a great gravel road east of Douglas, WY and pin it. I'm smokin 40mph gettin a little squirly and lovin it. I look back at my dust trail and smile. If ADVRiders could see me now! I navigate a patch of ruts and Walrus moans in pain. Next thing I know I sound like a straight piped rally car bombin though the National Forest. Pull over and...

Header decided it'd rather be in two pieces. I think through what I've got in the "oh shit" box. Nothing for this. I shrug my shoulders, saddle up, and make a whole mess of noise the next 30 or so miles into Lusk, WY. If anyone would have missed me down that back road, they could hear me now. I notice some power line workers turn there heads in my direction a good mile up the road. I think how annoying I must be. They stare as I pass by in what must seem like slow motion to them. As they gradually turn their necks to follow me pass by, one worker raises his hand. What I think is most defiantly going to be a middle finger explodes into a thumbs up and a smile. I laugh and give him a big wave. Maybe I shouldn't find a welder after all?

I guess I'll have to oblige. A muffler shop, right on my route through Lusk.

I lost no more than 30 minutes of riding that day. As far as the job, "Good enough for who it's for..."

I have NOTHING but blue sky all the way to Wisconsin. Very typical scenery in eastern Nebraska here. Lovely view as I empty the jerry can.

Stops consist of airing out the wet gear from all the dew and now frost in the morning. I'll make a dirt cheap add water meal occasionally. I hate it but it keeps cost down. $6 a day is my food limit. Break out the ramen and keep on ridin.

The world slowly turns from brown back to green. I couldn't be more happy! I ride eyes wide open waiting to see the deciduous forests that remind me of the midwest, home.

Camp outside of Yankton, SD. Healthy corn hides my gear pretty well.

Dirt piles hide you pretty well too. Here just outside of Waverly, IA. I'm in town at this camp site. I could throw a rock and hit the highway. Thanks to the piles of dirt, no one bothers me.

Good morning Iowa.

Gas stations.. A great way to see the country and meet it's people.

Back in Wisconsin!!! Riding up Hwy 35, the great river road. I enjoy this day perhaps more than any other. I'm biased but, the best riding I've experienced is the midwest. The driftless area, the bluffs, rolling hills, can't beat it. Looks like I've arrived just in time to see the annual changing of the leaves. Fall is here.

Mississippi river.

I'll say it again, best riding of the trip so far.

Other than the header splitting into two pieces, I had no mechanical troubles on this leg. Unfortunately, Wally is still drinking oil. I've stopped the leaking from the gaskets but oil consumption through the rings and valves is defiantly the culprit. I will order and ship rings and maybe valves seals ahead a few weeks, pick them up at a random post office, and start looking for another clean shop. Seems keeping up on all the regular maintenance is really paying off. Wally only seems to be getting faster.

I'll leave here the 27th and head to Madison, WI to visit friends for a few days, wrench on some toys, ride my dirt bike, and give Wally some upgrades. I'm thinking sissy bar to accommodate extra winter gear, and a windshield to you know... help with the wind chill. From Madison I will head to the Northeast. At least as far as Maine. I'll be going up through Sault Ste Marie and across Ontario and maybe Quebec. I'll let the weather chase me down the coast and go from there.

Not sure when the next update will be. Thanks for reading!

Now time to find some snowmobile gear....

Walrus Oilsworth screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 07:01 AM
Walrus Oilsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #29
Walrus Oilsworth OP
Adventurer

Throttle cable broke!

Stranded near Springfield Massachusetts!

Going to order a new cable and will be in the area for a couple days. Looking for a place to stay until the cable arrives. Have it rigged up so I can limp around.

If you can provide any help or a place to stay you can reach me via text at 7155295716, and email at pbirrittella@gmail.com and here on the forums. No I can't receive calls but I can make them so additionally you can leave a number.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Paul
Old 10-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #30
Walrus Oilsworth OP
Adventurer

Throttle cable for the 81 passport c70 is out of stock everywhere.

Honda part number 17910 174 670

If anyone has any leads they'd be greatly appreciated!