Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #46
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 341
And if he would have kept riding and got struck the discussion would go like this.. I hear Harleys are more prone to being struck versus the crouch rockets, plastic being none conducive. Also, Harleys are slower in the rain and on and on. i luv yuse guys!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #47
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,156

Riding home from Pachaug [forest] just about a month ago it started coming down,thunder as loud as I have heard. I stopped to put on my rain jacket and stopped right under a big tree to help with the rain..Crack.!!...scared the shit out of me..looking around thinking this is not the best place to stay..
I jumped on the bike and about a half mile or so found a church with a small overhang at the main door.

R.I.P.
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #48
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
1/2 right. Park the bike and LAY DOWN on the ground.
Many people who've been struck by lightning describe their hair 'standing up'. This is when you need to an immediate belly flop onto the ground.
wonder at that point if it even does any good, the static has started to build and likely the lightning has already "decided" this is the spot. I've been told to curl into a ball and protect your head with your arms.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #49
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Sad story....Luckily I haven't been caught yet on the bike in a thunder storm......

When I lived in FL I fished Tampa Bay a lot and would get chased back to the boat ramp by fast moving storms. Always made sure to lay my poles down in the boat....graphite rods sticking up off the water make good lighting rods....It can be pretty damn scary when a violent storm hits and your in a small boat with no cover...
I've been caught in some pretty scary squalls in Galveston bay. One in particular...I was fishing with my BIL when we saw a storm rolling in with the boat ramp between us and the storm. We arrived at the bait camp under the Galveston causeway just as the storm hit. Lightning was striking the bridge right above us. Pucker factor was definitely high that day.
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #50
sloweddy
Tree Hugger

Oddometer: 93
Do Not Lie Down On the Ground!

You want to minimize the amount of contact you have with the ground.

From the article below:

"Never lie down on the ground. After lightning strikes the ground, there is an electric potential that radiates outward from the point of contact. If your body is in this area, current can flow through you. You never want the current to have the ability to pass through your body. This could cause cardiac arrest, not to mention other organ damage and burns. By making your body as low to the ground as possible and minimizing the amount of your body in contact with the ground, you can lower the possibility of a lightning-related injury. If a strike were to occur near you, the current would have a much more difficult time flowing through your body in this position."

http://science.howstuffworks.com/nat...lightning8.htm

From the article below:

"Lightning-Safety Position

Make yourself as small a target as possible. With your heels together, if lightning hits the ground, it goes through the closest foot, up to your heel and then transfers to the other foot and goes back to the ground again. If you don't put your feet together, lightning could go through your heart and kill you."

http://www.rmnp.com/RMNP-Planning-Lightning.HTML
Old 09-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #51
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,666
http://www.king5.com/news/local/Moto...222550991.html

by KING 5 News
KING5.com
Posted on September 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Updated today at 2:00 PM

A motorcycle rider survived after being struck by lightning on Interstate 5 near Centralia Thursday morning, then kept riding down the freeway.

It happened around 9:30 a.m. in the southbound lanes at milepost 76, but the rider kept going for another four miles before meeting up with paramedics.

Trooper Will Finn said the lightning strike blew out the padding inside the rider’s helmet.

A woman who saw the lightning hit the man called 911 to get him a paramedic.
"He's concious, he's breathing OK but he's almost ready to pass out. He is not steady on his feet at all," the witness told the 911 operator. She said the side of his head was burned.
The woman said the rider appeared to be in his late 50s or early 60s.

The rider was taken to Centralia Hospital. His official condition was not released, but the Trooper Finn tweeted that he is “doing well.”
--------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Another article with more detail.

http://www.lewiscountysirens.com/?p=20976

Motorcyclist zapped on head by lightning on freeway at Chehalis

Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 10:33 am

The lightning strike victim talks with police and firefighters trying to arrange who he would allow to drive his motorcycle away before he would get back in to an ambulance.

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter
CHEHALIS – A 59-year-old Tenino man was struck by lightning this morning as he was traveling on his motorcycle up Interstate 5 at Chehalis.
A man and his wife who were behind him saw the flash and stopped to help.
“I was behind him in my truck, the lightning came down and lit up his helmet,” Martin Zapalac said.
At first Zapalac wondered if he imagined it, but then saw the motorcyclist lean forward and move to the shoulder.
The couple had the man follow him to the AM/PM off 13th Street, where arriving firefighters and paramedics checked him out.
It happened about 9:20 a.m., just north of the LaBree Road interchange.
Medics checked his vital signs and found he had some burns on the side of his head, although minor, according to the Chehalis Fire Department.
“He seemed to suffer some hearing damage as well,” Fire Capt. Kevin Curfman said.
The man was conscious and talking, and alert enough he got out of the ambulance to try to arrange who could drive his bike to a spot for safe keeping.
He was transported by ambulance to Providence Centralia Hospital.
Zapalac said the man’s hair was burned and the inside of his helmet was messed up, but he didn’t quite seem to understand how seriously he could be hurt.
He took off his helmet and asked, “Why am I parked by the side of the road,” Zapalac said.
“I’ve never seen it strike quite that close,” Zapalac said. “It was a good strike too, cause I felt the concussion in my truck … when the thunder came.”

Uller screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 04:26 PM
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #52
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
http://www.king5.com/news/local/Moto...222550991.html

DOH 205.

See, like I said... Keep Riding! The difference between Dead and Not dead.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 07:37 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #53
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
A motorcycle rider survived after being struck by lightning on Interstate 5 near Centralia Thursday morning, then kept riding down the freeway.

It happened around 9:30 a.m. in the southbound lanes at milepost 76, but the rider kept going for another four miles before meeting up with paramedics.

That's a dude that you probably never want to have seriously pissed off at you.

Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #54
OR400
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Reality

I was in the same storm as these two people. It was terrifying to be on a bike with my wife behind me on hers. It was the worst storm seen in a decade in the area. The couple, who were on a KTM and a DRZ, not a Harley, were trying to get away from the golf ball sized hail not the lightning. I know this site can get crass but this one is close to home for me. Just wanted to tell you all the facts.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #55
Hohmie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
This storm was bad, I could barely drive my van through it, down to 20 mph at times.
Hohmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #56
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Zapalac said the man’s hair was burned and the inside of his helmet was messed up, but he didn’t quite seem to understand how seriously he could be hurt.
He took off his helmet and asked, “Why am I parked by the side of the road,” Zapalac said.

I hope he recovers.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #57
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by OR400 View Post
I was in the same storm as these two people. It was terrifying to be on a bike with my wife behind me on hers. It was the worst storm seen in a decade in the area. The couple, who were on a KTM and a DRZ, not a Harley, were trying to get away from the golf ball sized hail not the lightning. I know this site can get crass but this one is close to home for me. Just wanted to tell you all the facts.
That's the truth. LittlePosum and I were on our bikes as well that day. We found shelter during the first cell then made it home just before the second and much more severe cell, but we were closer to town than they were...
The location the victim was in there is absolutely NO shelter and there was golf ball and larger size hail in that storm.
Worst one I've seen in 17 years here.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #58
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 662
Not sure that continuing riding is the best choice. I've read that cars offer reasonable protection while inside during a lightning storm. Motorcycles, not near enough protection and certainly no metal cage. Myself, I have ridden through many storms, including one tornado that was less than 30 miles away.

Keeping your heels together and crouching low (if you're stuck out in the open) goes along with the old electrician's trick of keeping one hand in your pocket if you feel that a wire may be energized. The current goes down one side of your body to ground, rather than across your chest if you had both hands up.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #59
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,432
The chances of getting struck by lightning is 1/500,00. I've been caught out in WICKED flash floods/thunderstorms in the middle of the Mojave where me and my old XL are damn near the tallest things besides the mountains. Nothing but creosote. How much do ya'll reckon my chances of getting struck are? Should I keep riding? I'm kinda getting paranoid after reading about a few motorcyclists getting struck but the storms out here don't last very long and I'm sure when it happens again, I'll say fuck it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #60
Random-Water
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
I've been caught out in WICKED flash floods/thunderstorms in the middle of the Mojave
No offense, but Desert SW "thunderstorms" just DO NOT COMPARE to real thunderstorms in the rest of the country. The # of strikes per second in a REAL thunderstorm can be 1-2 per second, not the 1-2 per minute of a Desert "thunderstorm"

Lastly, just because you've gotten away with it before, is no guarantee that you'll get away with it next time.

As the old add age goes....
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Random-Water is offline   Reply With Quote