User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
gmk999 OP
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 623
Question How loud for electric bikes

How loud does an electric bike need to be? I understand that they need to make some noise for safety purposes, (loud pipes saving lives and all).
But how much noise and at what speed?
Is there a top speed where the noise of an electric equals that of a combustion engine as there is with cars?

And now the big Q.. for arguments sake.
Do loud pipes save lives? Would you whiz along silently at 75 mph on the highway comfortably knowing that you cannot be heard by nearby motorists and pedestrians?
Or scarier yet, at 25 mph through a school zone?

Just askin'
Old 08-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Women were burned as witches because they knew a medicinal herb or two.

People were scared of trains because of the unnatural speeds you could travel with, plus the steam locomotives scared the cows so their milk got sour.

The first cars were required to have someone walk ahead of them with a bell or something in city streets.

People got used to cars in the meantime (and then forgot again with the advent of cell phones).

People will learn to look for cars and bikes instead of just listening and the world will keep spinning. Even with quieter engines.

Moving your eyes saves lives!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:53 AM   #3
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 719
^ Okay Genius, but what about the blind or visually impaired people. They going to use their eyes, you think?

It's a good question. I was thinking about it myself as I may buy an electric ds in the next year.

I guess some kind of air catching device that makes a louder or quieter noise depending on the velocity of air passing through could work well.

I don't subscribe to the "loud pipes save lives" stuff - but it is important to have some noise from cars and bikes. Just last week I had cut the engine on my bike 500m before I had to stop and some idiot walked straight in front of me. I had to brake hard. He hadn't heard a bike coming.
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
Raabe
CAW CAW!!!

Oddometer: 53
Seein all those fancy electric hybrids here in vienna i have to say that absolute ninjalike silence IS dangerous. PPL are used to hear at least something. If they dont hear anything they might oversee a (for example) car because since its silenced the brain tells you it must be standing still.

BUT

Loud pipes do NOT save lives. They just damage the ears and annoy everyone except the douche on the bike/car revvin up the engine. There is a huge difference between "standard engine sound", "no sound" and "OHMYFACKINGEAARS!!!". The last can scare people wich can lead to accidents (please note the little word "can")

I would suggest that electric powered vehicles no matter if car or bike, have at least some sound even if it is via soundsystem a fake engine sound (heck that would be fun making a bike sound like a steamtrain). Specially for little kids no-sound can be troublesome.

On the other hand, an not-intoxicated, situation-aware and sane driver with an save driving style saves more lives than loud pipes or electrics with sound.

dat be jus ma two pennys. IMHO

EDIT:
Visual impaired are not going to use their eyes but they are more careful to begin with. But going that way, what about deaf people? They also got used to that. True if they were not able to see the car (camo anyone?) then they might be doomed. Same goes for blind ppl that cant hear the electric engine.
Raabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
What ever happened to looking where you are going? How about looking before you cross the street? You going to put noise generators on bicycles next?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,582
There are cars that are similarly quiet.

The electric motorcycles that I hear are not silent. Granted, I hear them in rural Maine where there is less competition. One DID arrive while I was inside the other day and I went out and was surprised that I had a visitor. If I'm outside I can hear them arrive.

Later I went to a neighbor's where there's an electric Hayabusa. I could hear it well over 100m as it disappeared over the top of a hill -- couldn't see it then but could still hear it. Several minutes later I could hear it approach before it was visible over the hill.

But I was listening for it. They are not loud, but they are still audible.

Perhaps the question is how loud does it have to be to get the attention of someone who is paying no attention at all?

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Let's not over think this. Put a baseball card in the spokes. Problem solved in 10 seconds for 10 cents.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
gmk999 OP
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 623
I'm with ya there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
Let's not over think this. Put a baseball card in the spokes. Problem solved in 10 seconds for 10 cents.
Love it!! The best Ideas are the low tech ones for sure.
Anyone here have a deer screamer on their bike or car?

FYI there are laws pending for minimum noise limits on electric cars. I believe it's 54db.. but I have no idea how loud that is. Or if bikes are included in the law.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk999 View Post
Love it!! The best Ideas are the low tech ones for sure.
Anyone here have a deer screamer on their bike or car?

FYI there are laws pending for minimum noise limits on electric cars. I believe it's 54db.. but I have no idea how loud that is. Or if bikes are included in the law.
54db is just above background noise. The electric motor and tires on a car will make that. Stupid law. Then again, typical.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,459
Cool2 They are not Silent!

Here are some Racing at Indy, I think they all have stock Mufflers!! Click on the image to play the Video!
[IMG][/IMG]
The safety car is louder than the whole pack!

car94 screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 06:41 AM
car94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,145
Well, considering some fucking idiot strolled into the street (without looking) in front of me while I was in the Miata doing 35 MPH the other day, no amount of noise is going to help people who are not paying a lick of attention.

The air horns sure made him get the hell out of the way though

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
Perhaps the question is how loud does it have to be to get the attention of someone who is paying no attention at all?
Somewhere between a freight train and an F-15 Eagle
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,870
Noise

On my morning walk, I hear the Priuses [Pious] coming down the road. Their tires make noise just like other cars.
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 197
Laugh

I am a firefighter/paramedic. Ask anyone in the business... people don't hear our sirens, air horns, and Federal Q so they aren't going to hear your motorcycle no matter what you do to it. The idea that loud pipes save lives is crap. You outrun the sound produced somewhere between 45 and 60 mph. (Wait a minute. Maybe I answered why Harley riders don't ride over 45 mph.) You can't get around the laws of physics. I respond to plenty of wrecks for riders with those loud pipes It didn't do them any good. Riding defensively and wearing protective gear (especially a helmet) will go a lot further. All you do with loud pipes is make the average citizen angry and give the rest of us a bad reputation.

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-loud-pipes-myth

I had the opportunity to test ride a Brammo Empulse. It was not silent by any means. The motor had a pretty good whine to it. It was however, still an over all quiet bike.

I don't see electric as practical yet. The range is too short, the recharge time is too long, and for the increased price it doesn't offer any practical advantage over a gas powered bike. Having said that though, the acceleration sure put a smile on my face. It was a lot of fun. If it was a daily commuter for short distances to work then I could see it. I like to travel on my bike and that is a limitation an electric bike cannot currently overcome.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:12 AM   #15
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
^ Okay Genius, but what about the blind or visually impaired people. They going to use their eyes, you think?
Uh and what about the deaf and blind? Oh hell let's just all stay indoors just in case.

Or maybe have blind people get a dog. My blind grandpa's main reason why he never walked around the block by the way was dogshit on the sidewalk. He didn't want to clean his shoes every time after a little walk. Blind people in Europe routinely have to deal with much quieter vehicles than electro bikes: bicycles. They learn to manage.

Again, sour milk anyone? Or maybe electro smog from the motors? Anything else?

PS: you outrun the sound once you go somewhere around 750 mph or so at ground level ;-)