User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
GSABest OP
El Adventurero

Oddometer: 320
Guatemala moto importation question

My wife and I will be travelling to Guatemala and later through Central America in late Oct or early November. Once temporarily imported into Guatemala, can I store my Canadian registered motorcycle in Guatemala for approximately a week while I return to Mexico to take care of some residency paperwork. My understanding is that the motorcycle import permit coincides with my personal term of stay in Guatemala. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have additional information? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Marc

Past Rides: 1990 VFR 750 (2007 - sold to my son), 2000 RC51 (2000 - 2003), 1990 VFR 750 (1996 - 1999), 1989 Yamaha TDR250 (1998 - 1999), 1989 NT650 Hawk GT x 2 (1998 - 1999), 1982 Honda Interstate (1982 - 1983), 1981 Honda CB900F (1981 - 1982), 1980 Honda CB900 Custom (1980 - 1981), 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2 Custom (1978), 1974 Kawasaki 400 Triple, 1976 Honda XL 250
GSABest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
You can leave your bike in Guatemala as long as your TVIP is good ;usually you get 90 days at the border and later on you can get an extension in Guate City.
In the meantime you can exit and reenter the country without your bike as many times as you like .
Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
GSABest OP
El Adventurero

Thanks Guaterider!! That's the answer I was hoping for! I have to get my foreign registered bike out of Mexico as I am not allowed a foreign vehicle as a permanent resident of Mexico. So my hope was to leave the bike in Guatemala City or somewhere secure while they are processing my permanent residency card in Tuxtla Gutierrez or the closest INM office in the south of Mexico. All of this coincides with the beginning of our 8 month trip to South America so it's a pain trying to accomplish finally getting my permanent residency, get the bike out of the country prior to getting the residency card, and begin our trip south...

Marc

Past Rides: 1990 VFR 750 (2007 - sold to my son), 2000 RC51 (2000 - 2003), 1990 VFR 750 (1996 - 1999), 1989 Yamaha TDR250 (1998 - 1999), 1989 NT650 Hawk GT x 2 (1998 - 1999), 1982 Honda Interstate (1982 - 1983), 1981 Honda CB900F (1981 - 1982), 1980 Honda CB900 Custom (1980 - 1981), 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2 Custom (1978), 1974 Kawasaki 400 Triple, 1976 Honda XL 250
Old 08-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSABest View Post
Thanks Guaterider!! That's the answer I was hoping for! I have to get my foreign registered bike out of Mexico as I am not allowed a foreign vehicle as a permanent resident of Mexico. So my hope was to leave the bike in Guatemala City or somewhere secure while they are processing my permanent residency card in Tuxtla Gutierrez or the closest INM office in the south of Mexico. All of this coincides with the beginning of our 8 month trip to South America so it's a pain trying to accomplish finally getting my permanent residency, get the bike out of the country prior to getting the residency card, and begin our trip south...

Marc

Let me know when you are coming to Guatemala
Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
GSABest OP
El Adventurero

Shall do! Tx

Old 09-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
darren42
K1200LT

Oddometer: 8
Keep Mexico TVIP at Guatemala Border

Does anybody know if I Can keep my Mexican vehicle permit (motorcycle) when I enter Guatemala so I do not have to purchase another when I return northbound to Mexico? Seems a shame to cancel and buy another 3 weeks later.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Yes you can keep it , saves you time and money
Old 09-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
AndyT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
The last time I entered Guatemala from Mexico (Oct '12) at Cuahtemoc/La Mesilla, The Guatemalans asked for my receipt showing I had canceled my Mexican vehicle permit as part of the process for getting a Guatemalan permit. I had it, but I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't.

Technically, I believe the Mexican TVIP is only valid as long as accompanied by a valid FMM (tourist visa). If you hand in your FMM when leaving Mexico, my interpretation is that your TVIP would automatically be invalid. My understanding is also that the FMM is a single entry visa, although they have a 7 day version, which is free, for US citizens at least.

People come and go from Mexico and hang on to their FMM and TVIP, I've done it myself, but the OP should know that it is not strictly by the book.

If anyone has more definitive word, I'd love to hear it.

EDIT: wasn't replying to the OP, but to darren42

AndyT screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 09:06 PM
AndyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
If anyone has more definitive word, I'd love to hear it.
Unfortunately, there is really no "definitive word" when talking about Central America border procedures/requirements. It seems as if they change day to day, official to official.

Many people hang on to their Mexican FMT and TVIP so I suspect when you were asked for the cancelled TVIP in La Mesilla it was a bit unusual. I would just hang onto them and if the official at the Guatemala border has an issue with it, I would politely explain that you will be returning to Mexico. If he still has an issue with it, its a quick ride back to the Mexican migracion/aduana.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 07:52 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
AndyT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Unfortunately, there is really no "definitive word"
I hear you. On my way back from Mexico to Guatemala on my last motorcycle trip (Dec '12), the Guatemala migracion complained that my passport didn't have an exit stamp to go along with the entry stamp from a plane trip two years prior. On the airplane trip, I got a stamp in at the airport, but not when I left. I had this happen before and never thought twice about it at the time, as no one has ever given a rat's ass. They had me fill out a form, swearing I had left the country, then gave me a backdated exit stamp for the plane trip, to go along with the exit stamp for the current trip. I don't think it was a hustle, because I never paid anything, nor did anyone ask for money. Seems like our neighbors to the south are taking a cue from the US and tightening up border procedures.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
I hear you. On my way back from Mexico to Guatemala on my last motorcycle trip (Dec '12), the Guatemala migracion complained that my passport didn't have an exit stamp to go along with the entry stamp from a plane trip two years prior.
I had kind of the same thing happen. About a year and half after I had left Guatemala, I re-entered via El Salvador, got a stamp, no questions asked. When I arrived at La Mesilla to check out of Guatemala and enter Mexico, I had all stamps required and previous aduana import/export receipts, but the official said that his computer showed that I have been in Guatemala for over a year. Kind of the same routine, had to fill out a form stating that I left Guatemala, then went on my way. The official was friendly and reasonable, just had to fill out a little extra paperwork.

Which brings up another point. It's wise to hang on to all your previous aduana import/export receipts. Once upon re-entering El Salvador, they claimed that my bike had been in the country for over a year. Pulled out the old export receipt, then all was good. Might save some headaches if you can hang onto that old paperwork.

Re: Mexico: Now that I think a bit more about it when I was leaving Mexico for Guatemala, the Mexican aduana dude asked me if I would be retuning to Mexico before my TVIP/FMT expired. He said if that was the case I could hang onto my Mexican permits and he would issue me some paperwork to show to the Guatemalan officials. So if you are headed to Guatemala, it might be wise to at least stop at the Mexican offices and explain what you are doing. Of course a little Spanish is necessary to explain that.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 04:20 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
BullShatter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Certainly there is no "Definitive Word"....

+1 on Crashmaster's comments.

In a two week period during March of this year I crossed in and out of Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize 3 times. Each time the Guatemala Aduana canceled my Import Permit when I left the country.

Interestingly, When I entered Guat. from Mexico at the El Ceibo crossing (east of Palenque), I was advised the permit was valid for 30 days and I could leave and re-enter multiple times on the single import permit. When I exited two days later at the Mencos/Benque crossing into Belize, my Import Permit was canceled and the sticker removed by Aduana. Despite my protests about keeping it for re-entry, the Aduana at this crossing advised that the permit was only valid for a single entry....in talking with several of the local "helpers" at the border, they agreed that the permit is a "single use" permit. Needless to say, when I rentered Guat. three days later, I had to get a new import permit, and it was cancelled a day later when I exited.

Belize however, did not cancel my Belizean Import Permit. Since I was only going to Tikal in Guat. for a short time, 36 hours, they simply placed my permit in a desk drawer at the entry point. They advised that when I re-enter, just inform the Customs agent that my permit was not canceled, and that it was in the "drawer"......Upon my return, I did as told, my permit was easily located and I was back in Belize with 10 minutes!

At the El Ceibo crossing the bike required a fumigation, when I returned the following week into Guatemala, but a different crossing, there was no fumigation required.

With regard to my Mexican TVIP, I was never asked by any of the Border officials in Mexico, Belize, or Guat. to turn in the TVIP. I returned to the US with it and eventually returned it 2 months later in Caborca, Sonora while on a weekend trip to Puerto Penasco. It was valid for 6 months, regardless of the number of crossings into, and out of Mexico.

In my experience, the Mexican Standards for entry/exit have remained the same, whereas in Guatemala, the standard seems different, or open for interpretation by the officials at each crossing.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
Umarth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
You can leave your bike in Guatemala as long as your TVIP is good ;usually you get 90 days at the border and later on you can get an extension in Guate City.
In the meantime you can exit and reenter the country without your bike as many times as you like .
Slightly off topic but, do you happen to know where in gut city I can get an extension? I just lost my passport got a new one but now need to have stamp for the bike import and not sure where to go. Already did the immigration stamp and they where clueless for the bike...

Thanks,
-J
Umarth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Try this place

Aduana de Vehículos Ubicación: 26 Calle 7-25 zona 11, Ciudad de Guatemala
Números telefónicos: PBX (502) 2317-3500
Servicios que presta: Despacho aduanero de importación de vehículos y apoyo técnico relacionado a valoración y clasificación de los mismos.
Horario de Atención: En área administrativa y operativa: de lunes a viernes de 8:00 a 17:00 horas.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #15
mytuffbeast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
entering mex with a m/cycle

In my ride back to canada from south america,may/13 I had no problems in any countries to import and export the bike. Just a few bucks for paper work and that was it.( I did use the kids making a leaving ,papers handlers, I thought that they will look after their"customers" bikes as well, they save you tons on time and they got contacts ,$5 no bad. In every single country you get in they take a copy of the reg pAPERS and youHAVE to showed in the way out. It was only entering mex through el ceibo (from guatemala) that i had to pay a DEPOSIT of $400 US. wich were returned to me in tijuana, no problem there . So be advise of this deposit, not require in baja CA. The problem in el Ceibo was that because it was a new border (3 years old ) they did not have atm, visa or any way that you could get some cash. They were nice and apologized, but The closes bank was in Tenosique 60 mile north, and they were closing in 1 hour, look in map where the border is located,middle of nowhere. Ten minutes north of el Ceibo , guess what, you are right, military check point ,I was the only one in the"hwy" in the middle of the jungle. They checked every thing until I got a bit (took chances) diplomatically upset and told the officer in charge of the ten guys around me that I had to go to the city and come back in 50 minutes. Then he told the soldiers to let me go . Now I know how fast The 800 Gs can go , I had to get the money in 3 different banks. In the way back some check point….. they know who I am…wrong they check every thing again, I told them(brave guy) If the border is close They will have to let me set my tent in their premises, then he let me go again. I made it in time Got my sticker and in my way again, yeah right…yes they stopped me again. now I told them, take your time and check the bike again as long as you want. We end up talking about my trip and the officer wanted to do the same one day, he got my email. Be advise to carry some cash, I will never have with me that much but where do we draw the line? My opinion is that every country is trying their best to simplified things at the border but at their level of resources. IN my opinion if you leave mexico without reporting that the bike is going with you, they will assume that you sold it in mex and that can cause some problems when you are entering mex again.
mytuffbeast is offline   Reply With Quote