cheers
motomundo antigua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #17
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytuffbeast View Post
In my ride back to canada from south america,may/13 I had no problems in any countries to import and export the bike. Just a few bucks for paper work and that was it.( I did use the kids making a leaving ,papers handlers, I thought that they will look after their"customers" bikes as well, they save you tons on time and they got contacts ,$5 no bad. In every single country you get in they take a copy of the reg pAPERS and youHAVE to showed in the way out. It was only entering mex through el ceibo (from guatemala) that i had to pay a DEPOSIT of $400 US. wich were returned to me in tijuana, no problem there . So be advise of this deposit, not require in baja CA. The problem in el Ceibo was that because it was a new border (3 years old ) they did not have atm, visa or any way that you could get some cash. They were nice and apologized, but The closes bank was in Tenosique 60 mile north, and they were closing in 1 hour, look in map where the border is located,middle of nowhere. Ten minutes north of el Ceibo , guess what, you are right, military check point ,I was the only one in the"hwy" in the middle of the jungle. They checked every thing until I got a bit (took chances) diplomatically upset and told the officer in charge of the ten guys around me that I had to go to the city and come back in 50 minutes. Then he told the soldiers to let me go . Now I know how fast The 800 Gs can go , I had to get the money in 3 different banks. In the way back some check point….. they know who I am…wrong they check every thing again, I told them(brave guy) If the border is close They will have to let me set my tent in their premises, then he let me go again. I made it in time Got my sticker and in my way again, yeah right…yes they stopped me again. now I told them, take your time and check the bike again as long as you want. We end up talking about my trip and the officer wanted to do the same one day, he got my email. Be advise to carry some cash, I will never have with me that much but where do we draw the line? My opinion is that every country is trying their best to simplified things at the border but at their level of resources. IN my opinion if you leave mexico without reporting that the bike is going with you, they will assume that you sold it in mex and that can cause some problems when you are entering mex again.
H'mm? That's odd. We put our $400 on our visa card at the border. (Not this border)
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #18
AndyT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
H'mm? That's odd. We put our $400 on our visa card at the border. (Not this border)
El Ceibo is the only Mexican border I have used where this is the case. I took a picture of this sign there, the sentence in red in the lower right says "at this location we only accept cash". Note also, it says they are open Tuesday through Sunday, evidently not Monday.