Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #16
7days1shower OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
The final ride from Leh was to Khardung La. Regarded as the highest motorable road in the world (although this is disputed by some), this was the road for which I had given up a further stay in Brasil an opted to come to India instead.

Once again, inner line permits were needed to ride on this route, however unlike most riders who would continue past the pass and onto the north most regions of India I had decided to only ride to the summit and back due to time constraints. I met one such pair of riders, Kaushik and Siddarth from Mumbai, who were riding through on their well loaded Royal Enfields.

The ride up was fairly uneventful and whilst holding the acclaim of highest road in the world, the distance to the summit is only around 40km. Whilst still on rough terrain, it seemed to be a cakewalk compared to the Chang La pass.

Given its ease and fame, it also seemed to attract a lot of regular day-tourists ranging from organised bicycle tours, loaded SUVís and bikes which perhaps werenít in the right hands. This was clear once I got to the top and watched a clueless group proceed to drop 2 bikes whilst trying to get the right photo angle.

Best to let them get their mess done before posing with the iconic sign myself.

As I rode back to Leh, stopping off at the Thikse monastery on the way, the trip to ĎK-Topí was a much shorter rider than what I had gone through to get here and almost seemed like an afterthought. Although the claim of highest road in the world is disputed, it didnít take away from any of the beauty of riding up a serenely quiet road with the Himalayan ranges at the horizon and a glacier looming. I was also pleased I had accomplished what I had initially come on this trip to do; not only to ride the highest road in the world but to also discover if adventure riding was what I wanted to pursue for the upcoming years. The answer was a no-brainer.

7days1shower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #17
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,110
stunning pics!....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #18
7days1shower OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
stunning pics!....
Thanks mate. Would you believe they're pretty much all from my Samsung S3 phone!

Remainder are from my GoPro 1

Makes me wonder why I was lugging around my bulky DSLR and never even used it

Im no pro photographer but this has given me a bit to think about in terms of camera choice on my RTW.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #19
ryan.virgo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Lovely adventure mate, I would like to know how the KTM 200 performed, I ask this question because its a naked bike with no fairing/visor, how did you manage the wind blasts hitting on you ...
ryan.virgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #20
7days1shower OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.virgo View Post
Lovely adventure mate, I would like to know how the KTM 200 performed, I ask this question because its a naked bike with no fairing/visor, how did you manage the wind blasts hitting on you ...
I never really go upto any significant speeds on it to be affected by wind to be honest. Even on Indian 'highways' a combination of traffic and the bike itself meant I only hit about 80kmh

In the off-road sections I was lucky to average 30kmh.

The bike itself was good though. Fuel capacity was good enough despite most people saying it would fall short, ground clearance was good. Tyres were road oriented but I believe there isn't much of a dual-sport tyre market in India, but again, it did the job.

I had to clean the radiator on the bike every day or so just to ensure temperatures didn't skyrocket, but a few minutes with a toothbrush and a bit of water did the work just fine.

I'm hoping to take my own bike to this region next year and see how that fares :)
Old 11-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #21
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,251
Absolutely fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #22
kreattur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
woaw great RR thank you !
Indeed the pics are good for a mobile phone ! (i can't think of what i would have be with your DSLR!!)

Thanks for sharing :)

Do you think it's doable without knowing the local language ?
kreattur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #23
7days1shower OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreattur View Post
woaw great RR thank you !
Indeed the pics are good for a mobile phone ! (i can't think of what i would have be with your DSLR!!)

Thanks for sharing :)

Do you think it's doable without knowing the local language ?
Yeah the photos are quite great. Theyre all from my old Samsung Galaxy S3, i recently just got an S4 but not so pleased with the photo quality. I need to improve with my DSLR though, I'm sure I could do so much more with the right knowledge.

Yes its definitely doable without language knowledge, there is a fair bit of English in India so you should be able to get by :)