User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Bill 310 OP
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,083
The Globe & Mail - the beginning of the end

Just received this email today from the Globe & Mail. Cash flow is obviously a problem and this does not bode well for the future of print journalism in Canada

Dear Subscriber:

The Globe and Mail has decided not to publish a newspaper on Labour Day, Monday, September 2, 2013, due to a lack of advertising revenue for this issue, which is needed to cover the costs of formatting, printing and delivery of the paper, and the number of vacation stops by subscribers.

As a partial-week print subscriber, we'd like to remind you that you can receive unlimited access to globeandmail.com through Globe Unlimited for only $4.99 per month, with your first month of service at only 99 cents. As a Globe Unlimited subscriber, you'll also gain access to subscriber-only features such as Streetwise and ROB Insight, offering the latest financial news, Globe Politics Insider, a behind-the-scenes look at Canadian Politics, and Globe World Insider, insights and analysis of world events.

To receive Globe Unlimited at 75% off the regular subscription rate, please visit www.globeandmail.com/globeunlmited and click the Yes I am a newspaper print subscriber button, or simply visit globeandmail.com on Labour Day as a casual online reader.

Thank you for your continued support.

Yours truly,

Phillip Crawley
Publisher & CEO
The Globe and Mail
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,134
I used to love reading those things.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,489
They keep pushing their Globe Unlimited for content that is mostly online anyways. They offer $0.99 for the first month and then $19.99 per month after that. I like the Globe and would probably pay $10/month for the e-content but not $20/month, which is the same price as print.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
clear your cache and use private browsing, you can bypass the 10 article limit for free articles (you miss out on the subscriber only content though).
Old 08-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdlboy View Post
clear your cache and use private browsing, you can bypass the 10 article limit for free articles (you miss out on the subscriber only content though).
I wonder if the journalists like to eat. Or own houses.
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,028
The Globe has become somewhat out of touch - that's my read on things. My household subscribed for daily delivery for many years and I watched the decay set in and take hold. In the end, the only parts that I would read would be the business section and the obits. I would then skim the headlines online - and that is the only place where I read it these days.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,878
National Post!

Is the way to go.
RED CAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
spinalator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Huffington Post will buy them and the Toronto Star. That is what Earl at the barber shop thinks.
spinalator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Is the way to go.
I hate to agree but the Post seems to have more of a relevant feel to it these days. I don't pick up a hard copy either but I tend to go there online for my national news.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #10
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,711
I don't think this is something particular to the Globe and Mail. Facts are that ALL print media is having a tough time. Increased competition for advertising, reduced readership, questionable relevency, and of course the issue of less and less people actually giving a shite about,,,,,anything.
I still buy my Saturday Sun and Sunday Province. I really can't bother reading any paper out of central Canada,,,we get enough navel-gazing from those fucks back there.
Relish the read with a coffee. Financials, travel, obituaries, and world events are where I go.

I fully expect to see but one paper only here in Vancouver within a year.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #11
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

I had heard that there was a 16% drop in revenue at Pacific Press (Sun & Province) in the first three months of this year and cuts were on the way. Take the buy out or risk a lay off. I think that you're right on one paper being the future for printed media in Vancouver. What does surprise me is the strength of the free local rags that people like Black Publishing is producing in many communities. There still is a market for printed press but it has to be relevant to people. The Globe quit being that several years ago.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
I had heard that there was a 16% drop in revenue at Pacific Press (Sun & Province) in the first three months of this year and cuts were on the way. Take the buy out or risk a lay off. I think that you're right on one paper being the future for printed media in Vancouver. What does surprise me is the strength of the free local rags that people like Black Publishing is producing in many communities. There still is a market for printed press but it has to be relevant to people. The Globe quit being that several years ago.
The free newspapers(using the term loosely) have certainly played their part in the dumbing down of Vancouver.
As though the city needed any help.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I really can't bother reading any paper out of central Canada,,,we get enough navel-gazing from those fucks back there.
Canadians might have a better understanding of each other if we read each other's newspapers - I like getting the myopic Toronto view of the world from the Globe since I have to do business with Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
I had heard that there was a 16% drop in revenue at Pacific Press (Sun & Province) in the first three months of this year and cuts were on the way. Take the buy out or risk a lay off. I think that you're right on one paper being the future for printed media in Vancouver.
My BIL works for one of them. He has been under threat of layoff for years. He was totally stressed for the first few, now he has become numb to it - it certainly affects his work commitment. All the layout work has already been offshored.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

I've always wondered why someone would even reach over to pick up one of those rags. I don't blame the decline on them - the dumbing down is part of a general trend in society.

The publications that I am impressed with are the 'Newsleader' & 'Now' variety, which do have some very well written articles, and that tend to cover local issues with some depth. Someone seems to have figured out how to make these things work.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
I wonder if the journalists like to eat. Or own houses.

They seem to be using a great deal of generic articles written from other papers or whatever.

Globe has been sucking for at least two years. Post sucks too.

Less videos and pictures and how about some writing? What happened to in depth print articles?
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote