User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
don't plan too much.
having a route is good, having a time table is bad.
enjoy yourself.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinTheRVA View Post
Mental fatigue from 16 consecutive high mileage days
Not being able to fully enjoy each location I drive through
These are related.

For somebody whose sole goal is an Iron Butt mileage stat, that's not a lot of miles per day, understanding that you may be racking it up more slowly on back roads than slabs.

But for a "vacation" sort of trip, a lot of people (like me) want to actually stop and look at things along the way. So the Q is, what is your goal, your purpose for taking the trip. A trip just to make the mileage, the route, you could do it several days quicker.

But to see things, you might want to take longer, even a lot longer. To me, around 250 miles per day is a compromise mileage to make some stops but still keep the trip moving. Maybe do a 250 day stopping to see stuff, and then a couple of 500 mile travel-only days to make up for them? Or go outbound at a lower mileage per day stopping to see stuff. And then run for home on the return leg.

The primary Q is, what is the purpose of the trip.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #18
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Having highway pegs or an alternate foot position is helpful too. Plus, having your ass on the same spot of your seat for hour after hour can get painful. It's not something a 15 minute break can fix either. I came up with different seating positions on my bike to mix it up a little.
Sadly, not an option on a Honda 919. Although I do put my feet on the frame sliders just to switch things up a bit on mine

Quote:
Camelbaks are pretty inexpensive, and are well worth it. Loading them up with water and ice from your motel before you leave will seem brilliant 3 or 4 hours in when you have nice, cold water available without stopping.
I have done that exact thing except I get ice from the beverage machine at truck stops, get the generic kind from Wal-Mart though. They are almost identical and 1/3rd the cost.

Quote:
One thing that we did that worked out great was stopping at Subway for lunch nearly every day. They have a $4 lunch deal right now, and it filled you up with relatively healthy stuff, and you didn't get the afternoon which, at 70+ miles an hour is helpful. Plus, they're everywhere.
I lived for about a three weeks on Subway for lunch and dinner, definitely a good choice and beats carrying the stuff needed to cook.

Jnich77 screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 04:00 PM
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
any pics of the 919?
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #20
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Ride 450 miles per day and you won't have to worry about what to do at night.

At that point, sleeping will be just about the only thing you can do.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #21
awlittle
Being awesome1/2 the time

Oddometer: 14
I would do more miles for the first 3 days and then back off mileage. I would also take a whole day off the bike even if it meant adding mileage for the rest days of the trip. Take side roads as much as possible. If you are decent shape with experience on a motorcycle 400 miles (500 plus on interstate) is completely doable. After many cross country trips, I learned that 2 lane roads that go thru towns are much more enjoyable, less tiring, and I'm more aware and alert.
Of course you can mix it up and jump on the interstate and knock out a couple hundred miles and then do two lanes. Oh, and wear earplugs, they cut down on mental fatigue. Don't be rigid in your planning and have fun!
awlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #22
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Your two worst enemies will be weather (i.e., summer heat), and the impression you need to hurry up and forego stops in order to stick to some self-imposed timeline. My advice is to relax and be flexible regarding route and schedule.
This one..thread complete..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #23
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 895
With a goal of only 368 miles a day, you won't have a hard part of the trip.

Don't worry about it and enjoy it.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #24
Shadow 9er
renegade

Oddometer: 500
I've made the trip from Colorado to Virginia and back...on a 919.

Set your bike up for travelling. You wont like your renthal low bars after a 5-600 mile day. Also, a tallish windshield will be your friend. It goes against the "naked" aesthetic, but your neck wont be so sore from pushing against the wind for days & days.

Bring a seatcover. Sheepskin or an airhawk is great if you have one or can afford one, but make one out of a bath towel if you need to. (Hopefully you have an upgraded seat)

Pack quite lightly. Also, you can mail stuff home if you pick up excess along the way or find you brought things you dont need after all.

That's my advice for you, other than just to have a great time! Oh yeah, post a ride report over at Wristtwisters if you belong there, too!

Safe travels!
Shadow 9er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #25
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
Worst part of a CC ride ?

Kansas.
After coming from the Adirondacks Indiana and Illinois was a KILLER for me along I-70!

The long boring states with the heat kill my motivation. My shortest day was 450 miles though so it might not be as bad for you. I was also camping so looking forward to the AC in the hotel room might also keep up your motivation.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #26
El Desmo
Stay sharp, keep moving.

Oddometer: 42
The worst part? The summer tourist. Luckily, that's should be getting better by the day, now that Labor Day is upon us. And the other for me is the super-slab. Avoid it when you can and you'll stay much more engaged in the ride.
El Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #27
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,269
Hardest part is returning to reality afterward.

Having done a 7mo/25k+ miles lap of the Lower 48, I find being a regular citizen again to be difficult, at best. Wanting to see what's up in the next town, where does that road lead, how do people live over there and other questions continually challenge my focus.

After 3 days on the road, I felt rather comfortable, at peace with where I was (mostly) and where I was going, but never really knowing where that was. The uncertainty was the only certain thing in my life and I loved it.

Good luck with your trip.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #28
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,631
I did a 9000 mile solo trip in about 25 days.
Nothing about it was bad at all!
I stayed at camp grounds the entire time, and that was great.
What with setting up the tent, using the pool, going out to eat, doing laundry, shower, there was not a lot of extra time.
But drinking beer and listening to music with other people was always fun.

I would not enjoy a motel except in winter.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #29
bigphish
Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer: 384
I did 7,000 miles this year in three and a half weeks, averaged around 325 per day. Some longer some way shorter, and a few lay over days. I only stayed at hotels 6 nights. Half the fun to me is setting up and breaking down camp, playing with my gear and always trying to figure out how it could be done better next time. That being said only droning through the desolation of parts of the Midwest was I remotely bored. I did not miss my friends, family ( too much ) or job. If you are hoteling it the whole way, be sure to have a flexible itinerary, that means being on the road early and please stop to smell the magnolias and chat with the interesting people you will meet along the way. You will have an adventure to remember

94 CB 1000 " Big One "
K7 DL 1000
bigphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #30
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,352
This July I did 10k miles in 4 weeks. I recommend to slab to the middle of Illinois because you need to get out of the densely populated areas as soon as possible. In the East every 10-20 miles you'll have to pass through another boring small town with 25MPH speed limit and cops waiting for someone like you to ticket. A population density map gives gives you a pretty good idea where to get off the highway:

Plan to ride as far as possible on your first day, while you are fresh and excited about the trip, but don't push it if you feel fatigued. I left at 6AM, and did 950 miles. Got to Denver in 2 days. There is so much to see West of Denver, you really don't want to waste time inching through local roads in Indiana.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is online now   Reply With Quote