Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #181
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
All too soon, we're on the 480 headed west. Don't get me wrong, this is a fine road. If we hadn't been in the backcountry, we'd find it spectacular. We didn't come all this way to ride pavement, however.

I've plotted a little loop that goes through Barachois Pond Provincial Park. At least the map shows that there's a road. It may have once been a road, but not for some time. We get about 1/2 mile in, and decide to turn around. It's wicked. Later, we'll find that Adam went much further in, and "turned around where there was no place to turn around." I'm glad I didn't have to wrestle a KLR around up there.

We manage to contact Adam. He's up on Table Mountain, he says. We plan to meet him. We're not exactly sure where Table Mountain is, however. We look at the map and find a likely looking place near Wreckhouse.
It's too bad you didn't press on. It's actually a good road, and is the fire exit for the park. You'd have had no troubles with the road, and getting around the gate at the park is a breeze.

I wonder what mountain Adam was on called Table Mountain near Stephenville? I don't know that one.
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #182
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Ok, here come some random pics...

At our first off the grid campsite I found a nice plank bench. It was supported by a stump on either end. When I first started to sit on it there was a cracking sound that had me quickly moving my weight over one of the stumps.

There I waited as the others talked and unloaded their gear.

Anton came over to sit down in the middle of the bench with predictable results.

We all had a good laugh and Anton just turned the bench into a rustic recliner.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #183
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

We were blasting along and Tim stopped quickly. Expecting to see a mising bridge or giant bear ahead, he yells "there's a picture back there that needs taking."

He was right:

Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #184
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

I saw so many of these tracks but never the moose:

I saw a few used moose though:

Old 09-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #185
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,603
We actually saw the exit from Barachois Pond a way up the road. Walk in the Park. The other "road" is before that, and was all on. Trust me, if Adam the Applicant has to turn around, it's snarly stuff.

I studied the maps, and couldn't pinpoint it either. Hopefully, he'll chime in at some point and illuminate us. I didn't get to say good bye to Adam. Coming off the ferry, I needed some air to clear my head, and took a little loop in North Sydney. By the time I arrived at the parking, he was blazing off down the road. Thanks Adam. You were a fine companion on this one. Sorry for stealing the sofa at Big Brook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
It's too bad you didn't press on. It's actually a good road, and is the fire exit for the park. You'd have had no troubles with the road, and getting around the gate at the park is a breeze.

I wonder what mountain Adam was on called Table Mountain near Stephenville? I don't know that one.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 05:46 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #186
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

My throne on the ferry trip back to North Sydney:

Tim, Anton and I had reserved seats like this. Adam did not. It was an extra $20 and, not knowing what Adam's fate was, maybe not worth the up charge.

The nighttime sailing afforded no scenic views until daybreak and none then due to fog:

Old 09-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #187
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

I was in the lead much of the time. It's not because I'm a better rider. I'm not. These guys figured it was preferable to keep me out front where they could keep an eye on me, lest I needed a walker or a de-fib machine. However, on "point" one gets all the critters. I had a massive bull step out into the road. I'm used to moose, and braked and let him figure out his path. By the time the others were through, he'd sauntered off into the bush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I saw so many of these tracks but never the moose.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #188
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

I too took a loop around North Sydney. It was foggy and even with an ORANGE car I couldn't find the friggin' parking lot! After a few laps around the 'hood, I almost buzzed right by it but saw Tim and Anton rolling up and followed them in.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #189
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,604

Tim, Anton, Rich, Adam:

I am truly sorry that I wasn't able to accompany you on the Adventure to the Rock. I don't really know if I missed out on the riding more, or the making of new friends, but I wish I could have healed a helluva lot quicker.

The pictures that have been posted thus far are incredible - and while the Trailway was on my list of things to ride, your accurate description leads me to believe that there are much better track to discover on the Rock.

Excellent Ride Report, guys. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures and video. Bravo!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #190
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post

Tim, Anton, Rich, Adam:

I am truly sorry that I wasn't able to accompany you on the Adventure to the Rock. I don't really know if I missed out on the riding more, or the making of new friends, but I wish I could have healed a helluva lot quicker.

The pictures that have been posted thus far are incredible - and while the Trailway was on my list of things to ride, your accurate description leads me to believe that there are much better track to discover on the Rock.

Excellent Ride Report, guys. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures and video. Bravo!
You know Tim has this trailer thing hooked up to his KLR. I'm sure he'd ride kindly for you. What are the chances of another injury? NONE...you've used up your jinx!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #191
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
You know Tim has this trailer thing hooked up to his KLR. I'm sure he'd ride kindly for you. What are the chances if another injury? NONE...you've used up your jinx!
I dunno. Known to be clumsy and a little dim at times.

I'm sure I'd get a hangnail or something, riding in that KLR trailer. (it is attached to a KLR, prolly has rusty bolts that'd give me lock jaw! )

Next year. Where are WE goin' next year! I want to ride with you lot.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #192
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

The next one I'm looking at is Anticosti. Not so far for you. We'd be honored. I was hoping to do first tracks, but it appears a rider from Quebec has been up there already. Here's a fairly recent Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLgg-Y6sd5E

The narration was in French. I didn't understand a word he said. (Actually, I had to shut down the vid because of my dodgy internet. I've got seven years of French, and I can understand a bit of Quebecois.)

Quote:
I dunno. Known to be clumsy and a little dim at times.

I'm sure I'd get a hangnail or something, riding in that KLR trailer. (it is attached to a KLR, prolly has rusty bolts that'd give me lock jaw! )

Old 09-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #193
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

If you can manage it, you are welcome to stop down here in VT at some point. I have a little cabin out back equipped with a wood stove, and more than a few ADV riders have bunked there. Although you'll find the locals distinctly reserved compared to what you're used to (present company excluded, of course), there is some excellent riding and a very hospitable group of inmates that will do their best to show you our best riding and a good time. There is a tremendous variety of terrain available, from scenic gravel roads to blood and guts stuff. I can get onto gravel less than a mile from my house, and choose between mellow or hellish.

This area has been discovered by the Quebecers already, and with the relative strength of the Canadian dollar, it's a bargain. There's a 6% sales tax in VT, and none in New Hampshire, and we've thankfully as yet avoided anything like the HST. Most goods and services are less expensive here. As a matter of fact, if you need bike work, it could be a good idea to order your parts in down here. Tires are a bargain compared what they are in Canada. I was talking to the KLR rider at Deer Lake, and was stunned what he paid for tires. You save a bundle on shipping in the states, also.

Hmm. that may be a business opportunity, there. Cross-border bike servicing vacations anyone? My neighbor is a bike mechanic without equal, and his shop is only about 35 minutes from the Canadian border.

I just checked and found that you've added a KLX250 to the stable. Good choice. Big E can wake that sucker up for you! One of my neighbors has a 2010 that wouldn't start correctly in cool (not even cold) temps. Big E rejetted the thing, and it runs like a top. You could have some real fun with that around here.

If you want a family vacay wif' Missus and th' pups, I'm pretty sure that we could find you a reasonable cottage rental. You could go and be silly during the day, and return to your family's bosom at night.

Quote:

Canuman screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 08:08 PM
Old 09-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #194
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
If you can manage it, you are welcome to stop down here in VT at some point. I have a little cabin out back equipped with a wood stove, and more than a few ADV riders have bunked there. Although you'll find the locals distinctly reserved compared to what you're used to (present company excluded, of course), there is some excellent riding and a very hospitable group of inmates that will do their best to show you our best riding and a good time. There is a tremendous variety of terrain available, from scenic gravel roads to blood and guts stuff. I can get onto gravel less than a mile from my house, and choose between mellow or hellish.

This area has been discovered by the Quebecers already, and with the relative strength of the Canadian dollar, it's a bargain. There's a 6% sales tax in VT, and none in New Hampshire, and we've thankfully as yet avoided anything like the HST. Most goods and services are less expensive here. As a matter of fact, if you need bike work, it could be a good idea to order your parts in down here. Tires are a bargain compared what they are in Canada. I was talking to the KLR rider at Deer Lake, and was stunned what he paid for tires. You save a bundle on shipping in the states, also.

Hmm. that may be a business opportunity, there. Cross-border bike servicing vacations anyone? My neighbor is a bike mechanic without equal, and his shop is only about 35 minutes from the Canadian border.

I just checked and found that you've added a KLX250 to the stable. Good choice. Big E can wake that sucker up for you! One of my neighbors has a 2010 that wouldn't start correctly in cool (not even cold) temps. Big E rejetted the thing, and it runs like a top. You could have some real fun with that around here.

If you want a family vacay wif' Missus and th' pups, I'm pretty sure that we could find you a reasonable cottage rental. You could go and be silly during the day, and return to you family's bosom at night.
Tim,

That sounds very interesting. We might be able to work something out for next summer! I love riding in New Hampshire and Vermont and the In-laws like to RV it in New England.

As far as the servicing and tire orders go though... I started working part-time in a bike shop about a month ago, putting my rusty Business Analysis skill to use again making them more efficient - so these days, I'm getting everything at cost. You would not believe what the markup on motorcycle stuff is... or maybe you would!

Luckily, the owner of the shop is a guy much like yours... been working on Kawasaki's for 30 years and is already chomping at the bit to "open that bitch up". I think the FMF and Jet Kit are already in inventory..

I'll PM you in the future... I like the sound of this Vermont Family Vacation thing...
Old 09-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #195
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
I wonder if it was the same guy we saw in Corner Brook construction? He was not timid at all. But very cute.

This guy in the video!