Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #61
SurfnnRide OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Yeah... I'm thinking KTM950SE. Don't like pavement/fireroads. Boring as all hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Decide if you want to suffer a little on the long slab and have a better bike off road or if you want to be more comfortable on the slab and less comfortable off road.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #62
SurfnnRide OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Another point I am concerned about. A Gen 1 bike that is going to take a year or two to figure out all the glitches or a bike that already has all the glitches worked out?

Plus throw on a nice comfy seat, a windshield and some flex bars to deaden handlebar vibration and what's the problem?

I don't think the dude hyping the 1190R is an offroad rider. If he is he is probably one of those guys who rides on a graded fireroad and thinks that's "off road".

I've raced Baja and district 37/38 desert races in Southern California so that is what I mean by off road. Whoops, crossed up ruts, hill climbs, single track, rocks, silt, loose sand, etc..etc... Not graded fire roads.

I think my mind is made up. 10K cheaper, not gen 1, no fancy electronic systems that will fail after a good flogging/crash, better off road suspension, more clearance and 60 lbs lighter.

950SE it is.

Thanks for the help (and no thanks for the sandbox fights) and keep the rubber down gentlemen!

P.S. I normally ride an XR650R and would take that on rides up to 1 or 2,000 miles but after that I would prefer some comfort hence why I'm looking for an adventure bike. Just an FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
No, I don't not once have I said they are shit, I would love a 990 Adv R and would really love the 1190 R.

Nothing wrong with new technology but time has proven simplicity will be better than technology in the rougher conditions.

Your stern words are a little unfounded again, time to give up and be happy with your ride as we are with ours.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #63
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
[QUOTE=SurfnnRide;

I don't think the dude hyping the 1190R is an offroad rider. If he is he is probably one of those guys who rides on a graded fireroad and thinks that's "off road".

[/QUOTE]

If you have seen his other posts you'll see he's not even an 1190r rider.
He's got the stock 1190 which was amazing on the gravel drive he tried it on.down:

He will be along soon to crucify me no doubt.:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #64
Lee990Adventure
Lee1190Adventure

Oddometer: 22
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog uk View Post
If you have seen his other posts you'll see he's not even an 1190r rider.
He's got the stock 1190 which was amazing on the gravel drive he tried it on.down:

He will be along soon to crucify me no doubt.:

Your absolutely right Frog, just went playing on the gravel tank tracks and few easy single track trails, great fun getting the big bike sideways though - difficult to find big open spaces to play in the UK...rode my 990 Adv and 450excr around România which was very good fun. Thousands of km unmade roads, tracks and trails that no one minds you exploring.

Believe you also Live North Somerset, I'm in Portishead.

Lee990Adventure screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 02:45 PM
Lee990Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #65
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee990Adventure View Post
Your absolutely right Frog, just went playing on the gravel tank tracks and few easy single track trails, great fun getting the big bike sideways though - difficult to find big open spaces to play in the UK...rode my 990 Adv and 450excr around România which was very good fun. Thousands of km unmade roads, tracks and trails that no one minds you exploring.

Believe you also Live North Somerset, I'm in Portishead.
Clevedon for me so real close.

I joined the offroad set late in life, years n years on sportsbikes,

But catching up now with a bit of trails, Morocco trip to the dunes of Erg Chebbi and a couple of rallies this year, all on my crappy old (no) tech 950.

Sent from my HTC Desire S usi
ng Tapatalk 2
Old 09-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #66
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog uk View Post
Clevedon for me so real close.

I joined the offroad set late in life, years n years on sportsbikes,

But catching up now with a bit of trails, Morocco trip to the dunes of Erg Chebbi and a couple of rallies this year, all on my crappy old (no) tech 950.

Sent from my HTC Desire S usi
ng Tapatalk 2
I am in North Dorset, so not too far away.

You will enjoy Erg Chebbi - have ridden and raced there many times, though all on a 525 Exc Mecasystem Rally Bike. Morocco is a great place to ride the 950.

Am just about to enter the Cambrian Rally again, was seriously thinking of doing it on my 1190R, then common sense got the better of me and I think I'll take the 350

Though you do get Super Enduro's and a couple of HP2's on it..............
Moto Guzzi Griso
BMW HP4 Competition
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #67
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
I am in North Dorset, so not too far away.

You will enjoy Erg Chebbi - have ridden and raced there many times, though all on a 525 Exc Mecasystem Rally Bike. Morocco is a great place to ride the 950.

Am just about to enter the Cambrian Rally again, was seriously thinking of doing it on my 1190R, then common sense got the better of me and I think I'll take the 350

Though you do get Super Enduro's and a couple of HP2's on it..............
Erg chebbi was last year, and much fun was had. Hmmm, the Rydale certainly got its pound of flesh out of me, I definitely ran out of talent.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #68
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,065
My 950SE has Renthal bars and19/17 wheels balanced with Dynabeads. I don't notice vibration on all day rides.

If you do have vibration adding some grip puppies should help. I don't think you'll need to go more extreme than that. The LC8 seems plenty smooth to me.

And whoever said the SE belonged on road because its an "SE" probably thinks we're talking about the 950 Special Edition... that doesn't exist.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #69
Bones_GSXR
Barb's Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 348
As always lots of opinion, not many facts. the 1190 like the 950/990 is a Adventure.
Adventure is for Adventure Touring
950SE is for Dual Sport / Enduro

I love my 07 950SE and may never ride it at its limits. I got it as it fits my riding style. Get the bike that fits yours. I have had BMW (05 R1200GS) and 950 Adventures but like others found them lacking when ridden hard off road. While I have seen both the GS and the Adventure doing things that amaze me it was the rider not the bike. Put the Rider that amazed me on a SE and he will still amaze, put the average GS or 950/990 rider on a SE and he will be a Average Rider on a SE.

Look at how many SE's and HP2 Enduro's are out there with low miles on them.

Lots of GS guy's shelled out for a HP2 when they came out and parked them as it "was not comfortable".
Same with the 950/990 Adventure and the 950SE.

This is not a question for everyone to respond to. If you have not owned the bike, don't knock the bike.
This is like the SE guys that put down another SE guy as his bike is not how they like it.

I am planning on a Raid Designs kit on me SE as I want to put a Raid Designs kit on my SE. Will it make it look like a Adventure... Yes, will it make it handle like a Adventure... Hell no!

Bottom line is when asked for advise give ADVISE.

The question was 950SE vs 1190 Adventure.

Not 990 Adventure R vs 1190 Adventure vs 990 Adventure Baja vs 690 Enduro vs 950 Adventure vs 800GS vs R1200GS vs Vstrom vs TW200
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my children's throats.
Bones_GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #70
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 709
lots of opinion and I would guess not much actual fact as far as the comparisons go because I just don't think many of the general public have had a chance to really ride the 1190 R version on tougher off road yet. Maybe a few moto scribes and select few but overall I would guess not many and also those that have ridden them off road either don't know much about the SE or don't have one close by to compare it to. But that should change in the near future as someone that actually owns or did own an SE will buy an 1190R and might have a better comparison. I'd love to see actual "normal" consumer videos of where they ride their SE and 1190 for better side by side comparisons. we can only hope!

that being said, I think you can just look at the basic specs and make some assumptions about the contrast of the two and I think those thoughts have been hashed out in the previous posts. I don't think it's more of a "one is better than the other" but more different strokes for different folks.

I have an SE and love it. I've ridden ADV's and many other bikes over the years but for what the OP's background and wants/needs are, I think it's hard to go wrong with the SE. I have a 450 that's tagged and has been raced locally and it's fun for really really tough stuff but overall it sucks on the pavement or forest service roads. if your idea of "dual sport" is single track and hard core dirt then the SE is the biggest bike I think you would be happy with. Plus it's easy to make it comfortable for the long haul. Can you make a 690 get close on the street, sure! Can you ride the 1190 off road? Sure! but it won't be a 905SE because of the weight. If KTM came out with an 1190SE that was a seriously stripped version, I'd consider that, but till now I love my SE. Will I have an 1190 some day? probably. between the 450, 950 and maybe an 1190 (with a set of 17" wheels for track days for one of them) I think I'd be set. But the 950 is my go-to bike for fun stuff. I'm headed off next weekend for two days of single track riding and i'm taking the SE. We'll see how it goes.
SpeedyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #71
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnnRide View Post
I think my mind is made up. 10K cheaper, not gen 1, no fancy electronic systems that will fail after a good flogging/crash, better off road suspension, more clearance and 60 lbs lighter.

950SE it is.

Thanks for the help (and no thanks for the sandbox fights) and keep the rubber down gentlemen!

P.S. I normally ride an XR650R and would take that on rides up to 1 or 2,000 miles but after that I would prefer some comfort hence why I'm looking for an adventure bike. Just an FYI
Well you won't be disappointed, they are a great bike and with a few tweaks by way of home comforts of screen and comfy seat etc you can have a bike that we eat road mileage pretty well then reward you at the dirt end which shines
through as your main aim.

As discussed EVERY bike is a compromise and it is a matter of choosing what suits you more, remembering they are all great machines.

For me, I prefer the looks of the SE being a bit more trailbike animal/hooligan looking and the fact it is some 24 kg lighter than the Adventure, and with the SE a 30L tank, better seat and small screen set you up well for longer runs very easily.

This is still here, god knows why cos it is a superb buy at $8500.00 ... let us know when you pick it up .... no pressure.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902259
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #72
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
I'd dump my 950adv for an SE in a heartbeat if i found a decent one around.
Just when i bought my 950S i bumped into a clapped out 950SE, thank god i did buy that 950S first because i would have certainly bought that clapped out 950SE instead.

They are really hard to find around here, and if you can find one it's 10.000euro+
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #73
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post

They are really hard to find around here, and if you can find one it's 10.000euro+
Same in New Zealand, the last good nic one sold for $16250.00 NZD, that is around $13300 US , not an ounce of fruit on it, completely bulk standard.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #74
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,442
950SE Hands down, because!

RIDE ON
Old 09-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #75
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere