User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
Roadcowboy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Slow Speed Drop

The day I decide to go for a ride, I wore my full leathers, plus full face helmet. I was riding slow speed (maybe 15 MPH ), leaving room between the car ahead and me, thru some hick-town, when I came over this rise in the main road. I was looking away for 2-3 secs., and when I looked back at the road, traffic was stopped dead. Seems a school bus had stopped, and behind it was a transport truck and then 2 cars behind it. I couldn't see the bus's flashing lights. I put on the brakes and slightly turned to my right. Down I went with the passenger foot rest laying on my right ankle. That was the only pain I felt. I looked around and couldn't see any rescuers coming so I put my left foot against the seat and shoved. The bike (all 750# ) moved away, and then I could see people coming. EMS was called and good people moved the bike (hardly damaged) off the road. I didn't hit anything but the pavement. EMS checked me out and said that it didn't seem too bad, but asked if I wanted to go to the hospital. If they didn't think it was too bad, why should I be concerned? No, I didn't think the hospital was needed.
I was 80 miles away from home,,,the bike was ridable, I had just filled up with gas, so, after the EMS and Police were done,,, off I went.
I hobbled around for 5 days and it didn't seem to be getting better (still swollen and pain), so I went to the hospital for x-rays.
Result,,, broken tibia in 2 places, right at the ankle bone. Now I'm in a cast for 6 weeks, no pins or hardware tho.
That's my story.
Roadcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Get well soon.

Sounds exciting. I am glad, and sure you will be OK soon!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
Glad you got a "second opinion" and had that leg taken care of.

As you're sitting there healing, is there anything you could have done differently?

I dropped a bike once going maybe 10mph in San Francisco. It was one of those drizzly, foggy nights. The culprit was a mirror-like cable car track and I wasn't even braking at the time.

When it all goes south, the time from saddle to street is amazing in its brevity.

Thanks for sharing your story.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote