User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
Sandspit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
FL Moto Insurnace law

From my understanding FL is one of two states that will allow you to not have moto insurnace. I think they require proof that you have health insurance incase you go down similiar to the No Helmet law.

Can somone clear up what the insurance law is in FL? From what I read you do not need to carry it BUT this could be a really expensive big issue if you are pulled over and get a DUI or if you do something that causes the Police to say you were at fault.

I have insurnace through my car Co. just never really understood how you can ride w/o it legally, what happens if you cross into AL get pulled over and say FL does not require me to have it.
My riding buddy rarley rides his XT, it is legally plated but laughs off insurance as he does not go out of the state. DUI's are not an issue but I am afraid if he does get pulled over he will be in for a surprise.

Past Bikes: KD 80, KX 80, CR 125, KX 250, numerous YZ 250's, DR 350, 750 Sabre
Sandspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Sandspit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Some-what confusing one answer is No you do not need it/ One answer is Yes you must have it???

Motorcycle insurance requirements for the state of Florida can be confusing. Motorcycle insurance is not required to register a motorcycle in FL. However, if a motorcycle operator is charged in a crash with injuries, then the owner or owner/operator is financially responsible for bodily injuries and property damage to others.
If no liability coverage was in effect for the motorcycle at the time of the accident, then bodily injury/property damage liability insurance must be purchased and kept for 3 years to avoid license and tag/registration suspension or to reinstate license and tag/registration after suspension.
So liability insurance for motorcycle is voluntary and not mandatory unless you have caused an accident but it is highly recommended to be purchased for your protection. If you plan to carry passengers it is also a good idea to see if you need extra insurance coverage for them.
Another confusing law is the Florida helmet law and how it relates to insurance. Since 2000, the state requires helmet use by riders under age 21 and anyone that does not carry a minimum of $10,000 medical insurance coverage. Ride safe, make a CHOICE and ride free...

====================================
From AMA Website
FL State Insurance Requirements
Required:
$10,000 per person bodily injury
$20,000 total bodily injury
$10,000 personal property damage liability
$30,000 single limit liability

Past Bikes: KD 80, KX 80, CR 125, KX 250, numerous YZ 250's, DR 350, 750 Sabre
Sandspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandspit View Post
From my understanding FL is one of two states that will allow you to not have moto insurnace. I think they require proof that you have health insurance incase you go down similiar to the No Helmet law.

Can somone clear up what the insurance law is in FL? From what I read you do not need to carry it BUT this could be a really expensive big issue if you are pulled over and get a DUI or if you do something that causes the Police to say you were at fault.

I have insurnace through my car Co. just never really understood how you can ride w/o it legally, what happens if you cross into AL get pulled over and say FL does not require me to have it.
My riding buddy rarley rides his XT, it is legally plated but laughs off insurance as he does not go out of the state. DUI's are not an issue but I am afraid if he does get pulled over he will be in for a surprise.

This is what you might call a "Catch 22"

In Florida you are not required to have "insurance" to get a tag and drive a motorcycle. However that said, you can still be held liable for any damages you cause, you just will not have insurance to pay for those damages. You will be legally responsible to pay out of pocket.

This is the same with your car insurance. In Florida you are only required to carry PIP insurance. PIP only protects the bodily injury for the driver/passenger for $10,000. It will not pay for any damage you cause to others. However you can still be held legally liable for any damage you case to others as you actually do not have any insurance coverage if you only have PIP.

If you travel outside of Florida you may definitely be breaking those State Laws as they may have real requirements.
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:03 AM   #4
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,529
Only required insurance if you ride without a helmet...and $10,000 PP. Pretty dumb. But, hey, people who ride without helmets are not the smartest breed.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
KirkN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Yep - no insurance required to get motorcycle registration / plate.

But, then my bike was involved in a crash (totally the other guy's fault). State of FL sent me a note saying - there was an estimated $5000 in damage done to the two vehicles ($4k to the car and $1k to my bike) as estimated by the on-scene FHP investigator.

So, I have to either get these release-of-damage-claim forms signed by both parties (zero chance of the other guy signing such a document) or I'm required to send in to the state that amount of cash and they'll "hold on to it" for one year to see if the other party claims it. If he doesn't, then they'll send me my money back, at the end of the year, if I ask offically for it back. Whether the other guy is/was found to be at fault or not.

Or, I can send in proof that the vehicle is no longer registered for the street (which was the case for me in this case, since the bike was destroyed).

Or, I'll lose my driver's license.

So, no, you don't HAVE to have insurance in FL, but.....

Kirk
KirkN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #6
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,803
I've been licensed to ride in FL since 1979 (been riding longer than that ). It has never ceased to amaze me that the tag offices never mention the financial responsibility requirements even though they will sell you the plate without insurance. For example, until this thread I wasn't aware that you need $10K medical coverage to ride without a helmet (legally). I was aware of the liability implications only through other people's stories.

Do they even teach this in the MSF courses for the MC endorsement here? I've never had to take it since I only had to ask for the endorsement to be transferred from my GA license back in 79. (When GA went to MC endorsements after I was already riding, all I had to do back then in the 60s was tell the license clerk I knew how to ride and wanted the endorsement. )

BTW, I keep my bikes insured and my body protected when riding.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
It has never ceased to amaze me that the tag offices never mention the financial responsibility requirements even though they will sell you the plate without insurance.
Mark, I was one of those dummies for my first 16 years of riding. Had cage insurance b/c it was mandated, had no M/C insurance b/c it wasn't, and i was an oblivious ignoramus. In other words, I was young.

The guy in Oregon i bought the 11GS from insisted i show up w/ a valid policy b/c the OR tag stayed with the bike (they do it differently out there than we do) and he didn't want me riding back across the US on his tag and a bill of sale

I call USAA, get routed to their 'partner' Progressive, and set up a basic bodily injury/property damage liability sheet. I thought "I'll ditch this shit once i get the bike back to Florida."

I've kept it ever since. My clavicle break shortly after (woods, not street) put the zap on me about consequences (medical/financial/work, all). I ride every day of the week in Urban Combat, i think statistically i'm up there in likelihood of incident.

I'm keeping it.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #8
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,803
How are your rates with that USAA / Foremost partnership?

I have USAA on all the cars & Jeep, but several years ago they stated that I would have to get the same coverages on my bikes as on the other vehicles (I carry really big liability and medical coverage on them). That made the cost for the medical in this fucked up state impractical and I initially went with GEICO, then later went with a good deal through AARP/Foremost after a great endorsement from a Chain Gang member I've dealt with that suffered an elk strike. (Neither won that one). I still carry big liability and comp, but skimp on the medical a little bit just because of the FL rates for MC med coverage.

PM me if you don't want to publish numbers. It may be time for me to revisit USAA for some bike quotes.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is online now   Reply With Quote