No 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #346
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
1.) Based in Central PB County (Loxahatchee / Acreage / "The Sticks") just south of JW Corbett WMA.

2.) Saturday or Sunday rides.

3.) Fire roads, FS roads, Hard packed dirt and anything that a 500lb bike with knobbies on can manage without killing myself in the process. I learnt a long time ago that a GS us not MX bike (That's why they make the orange beasts)

I moved into the area a few years back form the Pacific NW and haven't ridden much since I got here primarily due to workload. Trying to get back into it and meet up with some locals.

Come by Club Shell on the Beeline just before Pratt to mix with the locals. There are a few ADV types who hang there (me included) and will often split for a Sunday RTE.

Also, checkout the MSTA local club. They do a monthly Ride To Eat.

Stephen
www.caferacerpodcast.com
13 Tiger 800
02 Guzzi V11 Tenni *T105*
Stromtrooper246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #347
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromtrooper246 View Post
Come by Club Shell on the Beeline just before Pratt to mix with the locals. m[/url]
Agreed - I stop there just about every time I pass by there. Love the local thing going on.

It's more than just a gas station to the locals, even though it's just a gas station.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #348
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
...even though it's just a gas station.

Blasphemy.

Stephen
www.caferacerpodcast.com
13 Tiger 800
Old 06-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #349
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
1.) Based in Central PB County (Loxahatchee / Acreage / "The Sticks") just south of JW Corbett WMA.

2.) Saturday or Sunday rides.

3.) Fire roads, FS roads, Hard packed dirt and anything that a 500lb bike with knobbies on can manage without killing myself in the process. I learnt a long time ago that a GS us not MX bike (That's why they make the orange beasts)

I moved into the area a few years back form the Pacific NW and haven't ridden much since I got here primarily due to workload. Trying to get back into it and meet up with some locals.

Have you ridden through Corbett yet? It's a nice way to across to beeline in order to head north to some other riding areas. I'm almost always up for a ride on "big bikes" .

Scramster
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #350
impi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromtrooper246 View Post
Come by Club Shell on the Beeline just before Pratt to mix with the locals. There are a few ADV types who hang there (me included) and will often split for a Sunday RTE.

Also, checkout the MSTA local club. They do a monthly Ride To Eat.

Stephen
www.caferacerpodcast.com
Thank you for the invite Stephen.

Regards
Lodewyk
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #351
impi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

....., even though it's just a gas station.
Or is it ?

:-)
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #352
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Steve and I ended up doing an impromptu ride today when we met each other accidentally out in Corbett

We rode from about the middle to the exit together. ... I think I got muddier than you did on the way out, Steve. I didn't realize those were coming up and hit them too hard while looking at the scenery.

It was great to ride with ya again.

Why is my hood up some might ask? I was running on only four or five cylinders, twice, after hitting deeper waters. When Steve caught me it was the second time I was cleaning out the distributor. Lesson learned... I'll seal up the distributor & wires sooner or later.

This was after wet trails we probably shouldn't have been on.

their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 06-15-2014 at 10:56 AM
Old 06-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #353
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Dave, we need to do another ride before you move.

I think today was about the muddiest the big girl has ever been.

It was a pretty nice ride out there today. Other than those four big holes we went through the road was relatively dry. I don't think I would have made it on the tails though.

Stephen
www.caferacerpodcast.com
13 Tiger 800
Old 06-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #354
beyondhelp
likes cheese too.

Oddometer: 515
I'll bet it's pretty wet out there now. I work next door and the canals are at their top. Don't think my Ninja will make it out there though. That liquid sandpaper they call water takes a toll on stuff.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:56 AM   #355
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondhelp View Post
I'll bet it's pretty wet out there now. I work next door and the canals are at their top. Don't think my Ninja will make it out there though. That liquid sandpaper they call water takes a toll on stuff.
Oh, I think my Ninja could get by out there for a number of the roads... that's what I made it for.

their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 06-17-2014, 05:05 AM   #356
beyondhelp
likes cheese too.

That's awesome!

Besides the front fender and tires what else have you changed? Mine is a '96 and I have seriously considered doing the same thing. One thing that I can't see on yours is any oil filter protection. I know the pipes are out front but a well placed stick or something could ruin your day.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #357
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

The biggest thing, and what I wished I had done before that trip, was to change the front springs. They weren't just soft, they almost killed me when I bottomed-out the front, and it held there, through a left turn I made at something like 35 or 40 MPH when already on a downhill slope.

I don't have any protection for the filter - it's protected enough IMO.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 07-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #358
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

If you're contemplating JW Corbett during the wet season(s)...

If you're contemplating JW Corbett during the wet season(s), this is why I gave up on riding the DR650 there for the most part - if I end up that way again there are a few less than correct routes I took the last time to make myself happy. Although even that is probably a bad idea since this time, in the Jeeps, they specifically set up law enforcement at both ends of the park to catch people. Granted, motorcyclists won't get caught with the open container fines two or three Jeep owners got hit with ($160 an empty bottle or can). If I had exited one of the two official exits on the DR650, I might have been fined for riding where I wasn't supposed to (disclaimer ... still not sure I was in the wrong or even being looked for).

Video from my GoPro and a few pictures from my, and another's, cameras last Sunday:

their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 07-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #359
beyondhelp
likes cheese too.

I am actually surprised to hear that people are riding there at all. IIRC, they always had specific language in their rules that prohibited driving offroad for anything besides hunting. They also have had specific limitations on the wheelbase and width of vehicles (they must meet a minimum for each) that I believe were intended to prevent people from using atv's. I went to HS in Jupiter and "everyone" knew better than to wheel in Corbett as far as I know. Of course that has been a while. We did it a time or two outside of hunting season but the possibility of getting in trouble was always there. I guess they let it slide for a while and then go back in and clean up again.

I have wanted to go out to the west edge and check out the old Indian mounds in my truck but I need to fix the front axle first.

I work next door and frequently see the pair of lifted undercover trucks they use. There's a white and a black ford with 8" of lift and they both sport unique looking rollbars. Easy to spot. They can often be seen entering a gated trail off of innovation dr, the South entrance to the Pratt Whitney complex. Spend enough time at Club Shell and you will probably come across the Sherrifs on atv's or see the FWC buggies on trailers. There seems to be plenty of LEO presence in the area.

The whole area seems well looked after. The "towers" area southwest of Shell used to be a local spot too but someone got killed in an atv accident which got that place locked down. More recently, some idiot HS kids got busted poaching in the Hungrylands after they burned down the cabin at the gate.

The ds/adv options in the general area seem to be very limited. I haven't even ridden my dirt bike in so long I can't remember. Sad really.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #360
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondhelp View Post
I am actually surprised to hear that people are riding there at all. IIRC, they always had specific language in their rules that prohibited driving offroad for anything besides hunting. They also have had specific limitations on the wheelbase and width of vehicles (they must meet a minimum for each) that I believe were intended to prevent people from using atv's. I went to HS in Jupiter and "everyone" knew better than to wheel in Corbett as far as I know. Of course that has been a while. We did it a time or two outside of hunting season but the possibility of getting in trouble was always there. I guess they let it slide for a while and then go back in and clean up again.

I have wanted to go out to the west edge and check out the old Indian mounds in my truck but I need to fix the front axle first.

I work next door and frequently see the pair of lifted undercover trucks they use. There's a white and a black ford with 8" of lift and they both sport unique looking rollbars. Easy to spot. They can often be seen entering a gated trail off of innovation dr, the South entrance to the Pratt Whitney complex. Spend enough time at Club Shell and you will probably come across the Sherrifs on atv's or see the FWC buggies on trailers. There seems to be plenty of LEO presence in the area.

The whole area seems well looked after. The "towers" area southwest of Shell used to be a local spot too but someone got killed in an atv accident which got that place locked down. More recently, some idiot HS kids got busted poaching in the Hungrylands after they burned down the cabin at the gate.

The ds/adv options in the general area seem to be very limited. I haven't even ridden my dirt bike in so long I can't remember. Sad really.
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, we learned that wheeling is pretty much shut down to one road in Corbett. We learned that the hard way over two outings and being told we shouldn't be where we were. The meet is more just to get together, and if we do it again I'm gonna bring a hibachi or something just to cook out out there.

I had wondered what burnt down that cabin. I hope they prosecuted those kids. I did a lot of dumb stuff when I was young, but never destroyed something like that. But then the whole problem with any and every area on the east coast is that it's just about all been shut down to common folks and kids for recreational use. It bothers me to think about how confined everyone is going to be in 50 or 100 years.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR