Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #91
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfladvrider View Post
alright im in . same gas station 9?

what about you dave? where are you starting ?
Pompano.

LOL

Where am I heading? What time? Is this formal attire, or is professional-casual OK?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #92
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
So what's the ride/route? I'll be out on the bike this weekend as well. Also from ft. Myers so if craftsman wants to meet up in town and head that way I'd be game for that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #93
Sfladvrider OP
Mr.n00b

Oddometer: 164
I think me and strom are the only guys coming from the north.

so we are gonna head south on Miami canal rd. as for the southern guys ??
this is the route flarider1 laid out

Miami Canal road down to the pump station. Cross the canal and go around the pump station. Stay straight with the next canal to your right. Continue on that route until you come to a point where the trail will bear a hard right and cross a bridge. Bridge is a good water break and pic stop, usually a couple of locals swimming by! As you come off the bridge the trail will zig/zag and then go off to your left. Follow that until you come to a cross road that has railroad and a bridge. Go to the right over the bridge. You can go straight, ride up on the berm, for a while until you get to where they took out a bridge. The ride on the berm has some cool photo ops and old manual locks and a good view across the 'glades, but you will have to backtrack to the rail crossing. After you cross the canal, take an immediate left and follow that road. Be careful through here, can be heavily traveled by sugar cane trucks. Follow this road until the next bridge over the canal, follow over the bridge to your left and then right onto the canal road. This road will take you to black top just outside of Clewiston. At the crossroad stop sign, post office on the corner, take a left. Follow till you reach 27. Turn left onto 27 into Clewiston. Head to Roland Martins Tiki Bar for lunch, google Clewiston and drill down on the east side of town right on the main canal and you will find it. After lunch go back to 27 and hang a left going back out of town the way you came in. Just as you get out of town, on a bend, there is a gas station. Make that your fuel stop. Exit to the right out of the gas station on the small side road, old state route 80. Follow that to the first stop sign and hang a right onto 835. Follow 835 for many miles. Fun road, lots of places to open it up and some good 90 degree turns. Follow 835 to Government road/Josie Billie Road, it will be a stop sign at a 'T'. Take a left to the south and towards the Seminole Reservation. Go through the reservation community. As you are exiting the community you will cross a canal, take the right just after the canal, there is a blue roofed convenience store on the corner also. Keep following this route, it goes from blacktop to packed sand/dirt. It can get slippery if its raining, but FL Pepper did it on a Ninja so in the rain so don't be scared (yes there is a story behind that one). Follow the dirt till the 'T' Hang a left at the 't'. Follow it back to the blacktop, which is back to Government road. Take a left and then a quick right onto a gravel road. Follow this a couple of miles and it will cross the canal at a pump station. When you come off the pump station stay going straight with the canal to your right. This will eventually take you back to the pump station you first crossed coming off Miami Canal road.

This whole route is a full day if you linger a bit for lunch and stop for pics. Its not real challenging, but it gets you off pavement and into the 'glades. From my house in Homestead is around a 300 mile day. We would normally all meet at Holiday Park off 27 at Griffin Road around 9am. Kickstands up by about 0930. Gas is available right at Highway 27 Bar/Gas right by Griffin Road, again in Clewiston, then on the reservation and then not again until you are back at Griffin Road.

If you want a really long day you can take the right back onto Government Road and head south on what is called Snake Road. This will take you I-75. Go west on I-75 to 29. Go south on 29. Once you are almost back to Tamiami Trail you have two choices for more dirt. Go west on Janes Scenic Drive. Janes will take you into the Squares. Its probably still to wet to do Janes and the Squares, that is winter riding out in there. Second choice is to go east on Wagon Wheel Road, follow it until the 'T' and take a left. This will take you to Turner River Road. Right turn takes you back to Tamiami Trail, left goes up to the end of the road. You will find a gate up there that requires the offroad park pass, which you can't get for a motorcycle. Its cool to ride up and back, some pretty big 'gators hang out up that way. Then head south back to Tamiami Trail. If you need gas again, its a short way back to the west, for the intersection with 29, there is fuel there. Then head east on Taimami Trail to Monroe Station and hang a right onto Loop Road. Follow Loop Road back to Tamiami Trail. As you come out of the woods and return to blacktop on Loop Road look on your right for a property with a very high wood fence and an old scooter mounted into the fence. IF the gate is open go in and pay Luck Cole and his wife a visit. Cold brews and chili available for a 'donation', along with interesting converstation and 'collectibles' to look at. IF they are open, its a must stop. Usually only open after Noon on Saturday and Sunday. Once you hit Tamiami take a right and head east. Dade Corners, at Tamiami and Krome, is a good break stop, bike friendly place. Taking this route is a very long day from and back to Homestead, especially if you linger at lunch.

I would go, but I have company this weekend, Petersons Poker Run next weekend and then company again the following weekend. Looking at October 5/6 before I can ride again.

BTW, when you look at this route on the map you will see tons of other roads. You can explore them if you want, but most are blocked by gates at one end or the other, or have no bridge over the next canal. This particular route has been mapped out by SanJoh and Oscar, so if you follow it you will get straight through, it you want to meander around then stray down the other canals, but watch your time and gas!!!!!

Sanjoh, SanPau, FL Pepper, Oscar, chime in if I missed a turn!!!

oh and no I don't have the GPS data.......just rode it a few times with SanJoh and SanPau and the group and have it memorized now. Plus you can follow this entire route on google maps/satellite and see all the bridges and the turns. Just find where Miami Canal Road ties up with 27

R.I.P '88 Honda cb1, '07 Honda crf 230, '12 Honda cbr 600rr

USCG 100 ton captain , Padi Divemaster , EMT (future paramedic) , FL Waterman .

Sfladvrider screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 05:29 PM
Sfladvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #94
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

I figure if I do end up riding the same day as you guys I'll just head in from snake road and take Miami canal towards clewiston until I run into you guys. I'd tag along for a while and then break off and head north as others started heading south.

I'm on a bald rear tire and was thinking about heading through Jane's but I might wait until I get the new rims and tires on the bike for that. Should really get the rear shock serviced as well.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #95
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

I'm google mapping Miami Canal Road, and trying over and over to figure out the most southern place you guys are gonna be early on. I'm not making out much of anything.

I kind of need an exact meet spot at this point. I can run up the turnpike to somewhere? Or 27 seems to take me into the possible interesting places?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 07:07 PM
Old 09-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #96
Sfladvrider OP
Mr.n00b

Oddometer: 164
dave, i mean if you wanna meet me and strom we will be at the gas station just east of 441 on southern blvd right after the fairgrounds. we will be there at 9

get off the turnpike and head west on southern

R.I.P '88 Honda cb1, '07 Honda crf 230, '12 Honda cbr 600rr

USCG 100 ton captain , Padi Divemaster , EMT (future paramedic) , FL Waterman .
Sfladvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #97
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
dave, i mean if you wanna meet me and strom we will be at the gas station just east of 441 on southern blvd right after the fairgrounds. we will be there at 9

Now that's easier!

See you guys there.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 09-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #98
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

You guys are riding today or tomorrow?

Old 09-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #99
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSportDad View Post

Tomorrow.
13 Tiger 800
02 Guzzi V11 Tenni *T105*
Stromtrooper246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #100
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Oddometer: 470
Quote:

Send you a PM
13 Tiger 800
02 Guzzi V11 Tenni *T105*
Stromtrooper246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #101
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:

Today - I've been waiting here at this gas station for six hours for you guys...

Quote:
Seems to be a Chveron station?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 11:49 AM
Old 09-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #102
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Today - I've been waiting here at this gas station for six hours for you guys...

Seems to be a Chveron station?
I'm ready to go! tomorrow is my birthday so i was hoping to lay around and do nothing but my one goal for this weekend was to ride. i ended up not falling asleep last till till 4:30 so i didn't get the start i thought i would today. i'm on a good pace so far today to be passed out early tonight though
Old 09-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #103
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
I'm ready to go! tomorrow is my birthday so i was hoping to lay around and do nothing but my one goal for this weekend was to ride. i ended up not falling asleep last till till 4:30 so i didn't get the start i thought i would today. i'm on a good pace so far today to be passed out early tonight though
I've been working all day.

Didn't get good sleep last night, so should also fall asleep right quickly tonight as well.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 09-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #104
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

I just say down for breakfast. I'll be headed out in a few. Someone pm me for my phone number and I'll give you a way to track where I am while I'm riding. I'll be coming in through snake road and heading up Miami canal towards clewiston.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #105
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

It was great to meet you all, and the morning ride out there was a great get-away from south Florida riding for me, so thank you for leading the way.

This was pretty much my route for anyone else thinking about heading up and out there: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...v&via=1,2&z=10

I'd like to explore more around out there, but it sorta looks like I better get a new rear tire first just in case some of those paths turn into loose sand.

A Seminole ritual / ceremony / something next to the smoldering logs:

I wonder how well the CB would work on the roads we rode with semi-knobby tires on it?

If I can find a long-oval off-road helmet for cheap, I think it's about time to consider one and a set of goggles. The dust out there, even when riding far behind other bikes, isn't something to take lightly.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 03:00 PM