Old 08-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
PizzaHog OP
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
10 Common Motorcycle Accidents

An excellent article, with fancy-pants multi-country videos:

http://rideapart.com/2013/08/10-comm...to-avoid-them/

Excerpt:
Riding a motorcycle is dangerous. Luckily, bikes also give you the best possible tools to avoid crashing — incredibly powerful brakes, obstruction-free vision, excellent handling and very gripy tires. Here’s how to use those tools, and your very own brain, to avoid an accident.
Motorcycle Safety:
Want to reduce your odds of dying in a crash? Get educated. New riders should complete a basic rider course from the MSF or similar while advanced tuition is available at race tracks. It can be cheaper than you fear.

Safety gear doesn’t just help prevent injury in a crash, but can make riding more comfortable, put you in better control of your bike and help you be seen by other drivers. Bright colors on your helmet and jacket/suit will help car drivers see you, potentially avoiding some of the common accidents detailed below.

Might be 205, but it bears repeating...

PH
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog View Post

Safety gear doesn’t just help prevent injury in a crash, but can make riding more comfortable, put you in better control of your bike and help you be seen by other drivers.
True and I'd like to add another advantage.

Mindset

There's nothing more dangerous, to me, than hopping on a bike "nonchalantly", unfocused, in a hurry.

You know what I mean, "I'm just going few blocks away", "It won't take long, I'm just going to buy a pack of cigarettes and I'm back anyway", "I don't have time to gear up", etc.

By doing this, your mind is not properly set for riding and that's when accidents happen.

By ATGATTing (or at least MOSTGATT), I tend to put myself in the right mindset for riding. It helps me to step back, put my mind to the task and be ready for the "battle". I guess it's like a goaltender putting is gear or a knight his armor or something.

Be careful to not switch to the dark side where the gear makes you feel indestructible though.

SgtDuster screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 06:40 PM
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
950trailrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
It's why why a lot of accidents happen close to home, people just jumping on the bike (or in the car for that matter) to run an errand, get some cigarettes etc. Not too worried about the proper gear (what could possibly happen, they're only going to be out for a few minutes). When going on longer trips people tend to prepare better, have the proper mindset, concentrate on the actual trip and, dress up properly.
950trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Excellent article ... except for one thing........#10
The list seems to be in the order of importance, so it should be #1.
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,812
A reminder never hurts
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by 950trailrider View Post
It's why why a lot of accidents happen close to home, people just jumping on the bike (or in the car for that matter) to run an errand, get some cigarettes etc. Not too worried about the proper gear (what could possibly happen, they're only going to be out for a few minutes). When going on longer trips people tend to prepare better, have the proper mindset, concentrate on the actual trip and, dress up properly.
No...
You might think that is why but it's simply because most of our trips are in the general vicinity of our homes...

It would be pretty strange for most accidents to happen 1,000 miles away when you only go 1,000 miles away once a year. Of course then there would be threads here from all the do-gooders telling us how dangerous it is to take a vacation.

Red9 screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 12:58 PM
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post

Mindset

There's nothing more dangerous, to me, than hopping on a bike "nonchalantly", unfocused, in a hurry.

You know what I means, "I'm just going few blocks away", "It won't take long, I'm just going to buy a pack of cigarettes and I'm back anyway", "I don't have time to gear up", etc.

By doing this, your mind is not properly set for riding and that's when accidents happen.

By ATGATTing (or at least MOSTGATT), I tend to put myself in the right mindset for riding. It helps me to step back, put my mind to the task and be ready for the "battle". I guess it's like a goaltender putting is gear or a knight his armor or something.

Be careful to not switch to the dark side where the gear makes you feel indestructible though.

WTF....

Do you ever have any fun on a bike?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
WTF....

Do you ever have any fun on a bike?
Don't take it in an over serious way.

I have fun, don't worry, and the "process" described here is subtile in real life. I only tried to image it by using hyperbolic description to create emphasis. Yeah, I'm this kind of guy who likes to put effort into his writting.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Don't take it in an over serious way.

I have fun, don't worry, and the "process" described here is subtile in real life. I only tried to image it by using hyperbolic description to create emphasis. Yeah, I'm this kind of guy who likes to put effort into his writting.

lol forget about it...
Old 08-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Thumb

Good article, I already knew most of this, but here is one little tidbit I haven't thought of,

Since you’re already on the brakes and the bike’s weight is distributed forward, compressing the front suspension and increasing the size of the front tire’s contact patch, you can easily tighten your line by applying a little more brake or widen it by letting off. Doing so should help you avoid obstacles such as gravel.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
Good article, I already knew most of this, but here is one little tidbit I haven't thought of,

Since you’re already on the brakes and the bike’s weight is distributed forward, compressing the front suspension and increasing the size of the front tire’s contact patch, you can easily tighten your line by applying a little more brake or widen it by letting off. Doing so should help you avoid obstacles such as gravel.
, braking the front widens the line not the other way round?

Why use brakes to steer anyway that is the most stupidist thing I have read. You steer using handlebar input.
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:07 AM   #12
Derbobs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
article must be fake. see hint:

Quote:
Under no circumstances should you “lay the bike down.”
Derbobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #13
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,450
3rd vid in link is an lol

poor bike
Old 08-29-2013, 04:20 AM   #14
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:

Mindset

You know what I means, "I'm just going few blocks away", "It won't take long, I'm just going to buy a pack of cigarettes and I'm back anyway", "I don't have time to gear up", etc.

Yup. I was genuinely surprised/angry at a friend I was riding with and he had been inattentive and fucked up a bend and nearly crashed (it wouldn't have affected me, I was intentionally hanging back far enough). I asked him when we stopped, "What the hell happened in that corner?" He replied, "I was distracted: I was thinking about [his girlfriend] and the row we had the other night...". Up until that point it had never occurred to me that you would think about stuff like that whilst riding, much less allow it to cause you to ride poorly. Isn't the very reason we ride to allow us to stop thinking about all that crap?!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #15
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
The "gravel on the road" video looked more like a locked up front wheel to me. You can see his brake light come on and stay on through the corner. Looks to me like he was coming in too hot and on the brakes. Grabbed a little too much and slid the front wheel.

Interesting read, though.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote