Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #16
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
The one about leaving an escape route ie: stopping to the left or right side of a lane when at a stop light in case someone fails to stop behind you is one that I always do. However, I see so many riders who don't. They also put their bikes in neutral frequently while stopped, also negating their ability to maneuver. And very few watch their mirrors at a light. I'm never comfortable unless I have one or two vehicles who've stopped successfully behind me. Excellent article, however I have no idea what caused the 75 mph crash shown in the video. Anybody know?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
The one about leaving an escape route ie: stopping to the left or right side of a lane when at a stop light in case someone fails to stop behind you is one that I always do. However, I see so many riders who don't. They also put their bikes in neutral frequently while stopped, also negating their ability to maneuver. And very few watch their mirrors at a light. I'm never comfortable unless I have one or two vehicles who've stopped successfully behind me. Excellent article, however I have no idea what caused the 75 mph crash shown in the video. Anybody know?

I was told to put the bike in to neutral in case you get rear ended while stop at a my at a red light. On my advance riding class. As on some roads there will be pavement to your left and oncoming cars to your right so there will be no place to go.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
lol forget about it...
I guess that pretty much answered your question HUH??

Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,871
Dunno where that's from. Dunno if they're using recent numbers, or still re-hashing 30+ year old (Los Angeles centric- read large urban area) Hurt Study findings. Here's some fresh data from somewhere else (Oregon):

Single Vehicle- Motorcycle only. Hard to blame that on left-turning cars.

MC vs. Auto- That's the rider hitting a car, through no fault of the car. Typically, rear-end collision or hit oncoming car while trying to pass another, or ran wide in turn and hit oncoming car. Or- to show that "left turning car" doesn't always mean what you think it means- they're passing a car that slowed down and started a left turn into a side road. Guess what- that's not the driver's fault.

Auto vs. MC- OK, that one's their fault... but only about one in five.

More than 3/4 of motorcycle fatalities are the rider's own damn fault.

Alcohol is 33%-50% still. Slightly better than it used to be, but still a big problem.

Another notion from the Hurt Report is that "weather is not a significant factor". Um. The study was done where again?

Not to knock the Hurt Report, but it raised a lot of questions that still haven't been answered.

dwoodward screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 09:51 AM Reason: more "or"
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #20
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
The "gravel on the road" video looked more like a locked up front wheel to me. You can see his brake light come on and stay on through the corner. Looks to me like he was coming in too hot and on the brakes. Grabbed a little too much and slid the front wheel.
Wasn't too hot. Did apex a LOT early. Saw gravel, panicked and grabbed brakes, which turned a scary slide into a painful memory. (I'd say "lesson", but that would imply he learned any of "look further ahead", "apex later" or "don't grab brakes on gravel")

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
however I have no idea what caused the 75 mph crash shown in the video. Anybody know?
Looks like he just grabbed a handful. Weight transfer for maximum braking isn't instantaneous.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Dunno where that's from. Dunno if they're using recent numbers, or still re-hashing 30+ year old (Los Angeles centric- read large urban area) Hurt Study findings. Here's some fresh data from somewhere else (Oregon):

MC vs. Auto- That's the rider hitting a car, through no fault of the car. Typically, rear-end collision or hit oncoming car while trying to pass another, or ran wide in turn and hit oncoming car. Or- to show that "left turning car" doesn't always mean what you think it means- they're passing a car that slowed down and started a left turn into a side road. Guess what- that's not the driver's fault.

Alcohol is 33%-50% still. Slightly better than it used to be, but still a big problem.

Another notion from the Hurt Report is that "weather is not a significant factor". Um. The study was done where again?

Not to knock the Hurt Report, but it raised a lot of questions that still haven't been answered.
Thanks for this..... I have always had a hunch that the most common cause of motorcycle accidents is the riders not being aware of what is going on around them and/so not riding to the conditions.

Out on the mean streets you may encounter some crazy beaviour, and people may want to invade "your" space. But in the end, the buck stops with you, the rider.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 08:57 PM Reason: tidy up a typo
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #22
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
I guess that pretty much answered your question HUH??

Don't waste your time feeding a troll.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #23
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Shorten to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
..... I have always had a hunch that the most common cause of motorcycle accidents is the riders.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #24
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Don't waste your time feeding a troll.
Trolls need to eat too

Single vehicle motorcycle accidents? Don't these guys know... Always tell the cop a dog ran out in front of you!!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #25
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Shorten to this:
Quote:
I have always had a hunch that the most common cause of motorcycle accidents is the riders
Agree
Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #26
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,793
Quote:
Thanks for this..... I have always had a hunch that the most common cause of motorcycle accidents is the riders not being aware of what is going on around them and/so not riding to the conditions.

Out on the mean streets you may encounter some crazy beaviour, and people may want to invade "your" space. But in the end, the buck stope with you, the rider.
Does seem to me that most of the crashes around here in WNC are single bike.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #27
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 547
they should have greatly expanded on the braking crash at 75mph. Do not use four fingers worth of brakes on a modern sportbike! Start with one finger and then two if you are finding one to be insufficient. Dual six pot calipers on that front wheel means a fuckton of braking power for very little effort.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #28
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
, braking the front widens the line not the other way round?

Why use brakes to steer anyway that is the most stupidist thing I have read. You steer using handlebar input.

Well decreasing speed (more brake) = tighter turning radius right?

Just like more throttle increases it.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #29
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post

Good info. Thanks!
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #30
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,528
This is SHIT advice.

"A Car Turns Left In Front Of You
The most common motorcycle accident. A car fails to see you or judges your speed incorrectly, turning in front of you at an intersection. Blame inattention, distraction, blind spots and even psychology; a driver looking for cars perceives merely an absence of cars, not the presence of a motorcycle.

How To Avoid It: Simple, you just need to see it coming. Part of your job as a motorcyclist is to develop a precognitive sixth sense. Look for signs that could indicate someone may turn in front of you: a car is at an intersection waiting to turn, there’s a gap in traffic near an intersection, driveway or parking lot. In either situation, slow down, cover your brakes and get ready to take evasive action. Yes, you do need to take something as innocuous as a car waiting in a turn lane as a major and immediate threat to your life. You also need to account for objects outside of your vision. Gaps in traffic indicate the possibility of someone coming through that gap, even if you can’t see them. Again, MAJOR THREAT, PREPARE FOR EVASIVE ACTION.

And once you’ve identified said threat, you can work it through levels of severity. Is the driver clearly able to see you, without obstruction from their window pillars, trees or signs? Is that person actually looking? Are they looking at you? How are they situated in the road? What is their speed? Where are their wheels pointing?

Look at their wheels, not the car, they’ll give you the first clue of movement. During all this, also be aware of what’s behind and to your side. Should you need to take evasive action, you’ll need to know your routes of escape. It’s no good braking in time to avoid a turning car, only to be swatted from behind by a tailgating SUV. What’s the road surface like? Is it going to be able to handle the full force of your brakes or are you going to lock them? You do know how to use the full ability of your brakes, right?"

It doesn't matter if the car is at fault 84% of the time. IT is the RIDERS responsibility to cater to how human vision works!

Any rider that rides straight down the road is NOT catering to how HUMANS see things and is ASKING for a collision!

You want to be seen. Lateral Motion is THE BEST WAY to be seen.