User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #31
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 630
Interesting article, but I gotta comment:
1. Call it "Crashes" instead of accidents. There are VERY few real accidents when riding.
2. BIGGEST asset we have to avoid crashes is: ATTITUDE, someone else in this thread called it MINDSET. Really the same, because attitude/mindset about riding is the top guiding principle to reducing riding risk. Its like the difference in attitide of: Only I can really make any difference in reducing my risks, so its ALL up to me first. That sets the guidelines for what gear you chose, how much training you feel you need, whether you should ride or not that day, if you're riding within your abilities, etc, etc.
3. SITUATIONAL AWARENESS (SA) is another huge asset that presets many of our riding decisions while on the ride. A broad scope of SA works within the "what if" of riding rather than the "whatever happens, happens" approach to riding. I always cringe when I see riders in heavy traffic, following too close, feet up on the highway pegs, just laid back and waiting,....for whatever.

That last video, of the cruiser riders going off the road (HWY 129, the Dragon), not sure what context that was in. But I have studied that video a lot, and it is ALL rider error. Poorly planned pass, alarm, tromping on the rear brake, loosing control, all of it. When for their speed they could have easily made the left turn, with the right skills.