Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #76
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
And Yes, I-70 in KS (If you have just suffered Hwy 40 across the NW part of CO, and Hwy 34 in the NE CO with the feed lots that run for miles, you will find I-70 across KS to be just lovely!)
OK, with that qualifier...... :)

Also true if you have come from Denver via I-70.....the slab starts to get "not too bad" east of Salina. Between Denver and Salina it's better to be a passenger, so you can take a nap. The one thing that makes it interesing is realizing that you're riding just inches above an ancient seafloor.

I like riding I-84 east from Ogden, UT, and then taking I-80 across Wyoming. A beautiful canyon followed by several mountian passes, with the accompanying views. The climb out of Laramie, WY is particularly fun.

k-moe screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 04:38 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:24 AM   #77
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,729
Laugh

There are stretches of the PA turnpike - all along its length across PA- that don't suck too bad. Riding thru the tunnels at 100 MPH (or so ) is a gas.

Also, ditto to I-40 in Western NC/ Eastern TN, out as far as some distance west of Chattanooga. All of the interstates in that area are much the same- I-26, I-77 from I-81 down into NC ain't too shabby. I-81 thru VA was mentioned but boy the traffic there overrides much of the "fun".
I-64, W of I-81 thru western VA into WVA is also OK...

Obviously, most people aren't going to relish slab riding. In an ideal world, we'd all have plenty of time to meander around endlessly on the back roads... BUT when ya gotta get somewhere fast, it's pretty tough to beat the Eisenhower Interstate System. For a quickie connector hop, a skip, or to get a jump on a day... IMO ain't nuttin wrong with a slab shot.

I've been on I-70 all across Colorado. From Loveland Pass to Grand Junction really is pretty sweet. From Kansas City to Denver.....

Not so much.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #78
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
In the Midwest all slabs are pretty much hell on earth. That said, US131 in central Michigan is pretty nice. Lots of forest, great color in the fall.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #79
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 382
I79 through Virginia, WV, and western Pa. But the best part of that is when you take US19 through WV at Beckley.

Also +1 for I40 around Asheville, NC
Old 10-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #80
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixdoglover View Post
This is the ADV site, right? That stretch of the Cross Bronx Expressway before you hit the GW Bridge is pure poetry.
Ha! On one my first visits to NY several years ago for business, my rental car broke down there. It was on the Bronx side of the bridge. It was in the days when we wore suits. I walked into a neighborhood with bars on the windows right off the expressway to look for a phone. It was an adventure!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #81
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Ha! On one my first visits to NY several years ago for business, my rental car broke down there. It was on the Bronx side of the bridge. It was in the days when we wore suits. I walked into a neighborhood with bars on the windows right off the expressway to look for a phone. It was an adventure!
And you left there alive????

Anyway, how about the short section of I-93 through Franconia Notch, New Hampshire. An interstate that is single lane each direction.

http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote