ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #31
blackjackdavey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
well. i figure i start the Roll call. i got home around 5.30. we was the group of 3 bigger bikes that turned around above alice when the rain kicked in. i really hope the rest of you who plowed on make it home safe. it looked like the storm got worse, probably not advisable by anyone to be at that altitude. hopefully it didn't snow.

those who went home before idaho springs, probably made a good decision
this was a nice 'scratch-and-sniff' ride for bigger bikes
nice meeting everyone.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #32
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,633
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #33
BikeSDP
Reluctantly Crouched

Oddometer: 496
The rest of us, including a 990 with Mefo/Heidenau tires made it to the Apex side of Kingston soaked, muddy and a bit cold, but otherwise all good. Luckily, it was just heavy showers without lightning. It was a lot of fun. Thanks to all that turned out. I'm sure some pics will be forthcoming. I just found my camera in my car, so I only have a few phone pics.
BikeSDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #34
Cainer OP
supern00b

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeSDP View Post
The rest of us, including a 990 with Mefo/Heidenau tires made it to the Apex side of Kingston soaked, muddy and a bit cold, but otherwise all good. Luckily, it was just heavy showers without lightning. It was a lot of fun. Thanks to all that turned out. I'm sure some pics will be forthcoming. I just found my camera in my car, so I only have a few phone pics.
Yeah, it wasn't bad weather up top...cold and wet, but amazing views. I got home about 6:00pm saddle sore and soaked to the bone but with a big smile after 10 hours of riding.

I split off from the 3 KTMs at Nederland and rode home through Boulder. I have tons of video and photos and there were at least 2 other GoPros along, so I'm sure there will be some good captures and ride reports.

Here's a few random shots though.
http://imgur.com/a/JRdJ1#0

Amazing day of riding with a great group of guys. Awesome to meet everyone today!! Thanks to everyone who made it!
Cainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #35
LoneRhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
First, it was a pleasure to meet you guys. Great people to ride with. Intelligent and aware.

Home and finally "dry"! Finishing with a nice tequila.

That is a tough group of big bike riders! You little scooter dewds too. Lots of loose rock on the ride to kick you around and side hill, side hill made especially fun when it got muddy! It was challenging, but a great ride made all that much better by good company. I was very lucky to get through that turn around point. If I wouldn't have seen that flat spot a hundred yards up, I would have been on the turn around. Deep, loose sand/dirt, wet with rocks. What's not to like? I was surprised that the other side was the same, but down hill. I've been on that trail a bunch on 4 wheels and on a smaller bike, but it never seemed as tough.

Thanks for the push Neil, it made all the difference and thanks for leading Steve, I've been thinking about some of that route all summer.

GREAT! GREAT! GREAT RIDE! Hope we can get the group out for another round soon. I need to get out with you guys on single track too.

I may do a ride Monday to some plane wreck up towards Estes. One of the trainers at the gym is taking his jeeping group up there. I have no idea how hard it is... If I go, is anyone interested?

Happy Labor-day,
Mike

PS. Great photos!

AMA / NCTR.net
“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on Earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” – Anon
LoneRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #36
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 775
I might be. I'll have to check and get back to ya.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:49 PM   #37
Cainer OP
supern00b

GPX Data

Here's the GPX data from today for anyone who is interested: GPX Data

Here's the file on GPSVis.

Looks like this:
Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #38
blackjackdavey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJones View Post
I may do a ride Monday to some plane wreck up towards Estes. One of the trainers at the gym is taking his jeeping group up there. I have no idea how hard it is... If I go, is anyone interested?
i might be interested in a short half day ride on Monday (not fully committed yet though). crash site is relatively short there and back trail. http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=174 nearby is a nice and easy Bunce school rd, as well as Middle St Vrain. I always wanted to check out Middle St Vrain. rd, however the word on the street is that it's very rocky for big bikes and heavy jeep traffic. i assume all of those roads will be full of jeeps on monday. i'll get back online on sunday night to see what everyone is doing..
Old 09-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #39
Pinozul
Miles to Go Before..

Oddometer: 11
Gents: Let me second Mike's comments...definitely a pleasure to meet you guys and what a fun ride. (Other than that small lake I took a swim in.) Kudos to Neil & Steve for organizing and leading the ride.

Would love to do it again sometime and we'll have to leave some time for post-ride beers. (Or tequila, as the case may be.)

Reading the comments above, it sounds like my decision to head back at Idaho Springs was more prescient than I realized. Had I continued on, I would have had a fun night "camping" on Kingston.

No sooner had I pulled in the garage, when I saw the dreaded drip-drip-drip from my oil pan. Yup, one of those blasted rocks punched a hole right through the thing. Hosed the bike down, loaded it on the trailer, and off to the BMW dealer to do my part for the economy...ours and Germany's. It turns out that the really nice skid plate I ordered last week was not a day late and a dollar short but more like a week late and 450 dollars short. Ouch.

No doubt about it, bicycle racing was a much cheaper sport. Of course, that "engine" ain't what it used to be, either.

Tom
Old 09-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #40
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,633
Ouch sorry about your oil leak Tom
Kingston is definitely the type of place a skid plate is pretty much mandatory (as you found out).

For those who want some more of Kingston.. next Saturday is our annual Jekyll & Hyde Ride
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912230

Basically we start in Nederland at 4pm and ride over Kingston the hard way to Idaho Springs.
Have a pizza dinner at Beau Jos (usually finishing 9 or 10pm ish) and then go back over Kingston Peak (in the direction you guys did) in the dark.

Sitting up at the Rock House above Loch Lamond after midnight is an unforgettable experience

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #41
Cainer OP
supern00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinozul View Post
No sooner had I pulled in the garage, when I saw the dreaded drip-drip-drip from my oil pan. Yup, one of those blasted rocks punched a hole right through the thing. Hosed the bike down, loaded it on the trailer, and off to the BMW dealer to do my part for the economy...ours and Germany's. It turns out that the really nice skid plate I ordered last week was not a day late and a dollar short but more like a week late and 450 dollars short. Ouch.

That sucks. At least you bailed at the right time and it didn't turn into a much higher bill.

That was quite a lake...next time I am going to bring spare socks.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #42
Pinozul
Miles to Go Before..

Oddometer: 11
I think I'm going to need more than spare socks. Given my skill level, perhaps I need to invest in Klim's latest off-road apparel. Those Go-Pros on the helmet look a little bulky though.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #43
LoneRhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Yep Tom,
When we went up all the rocks on Kingston and my ability to find others to test my crash bars/skid plate whether that line made sense or not (that 990 is rock tested tough), I knew you were on the right track. You don't think you can clean that hole up good and use jbweld? Maybe get someone to just do a fill weld? Bummer... Maybe jbweld isn't a long term solution?

Still thinking about the wreck site. It probably would be pretty dug out with it being close.. hhmm... Will read the thread.

Thanks for posting the ride track from yesterday.

AMA / NCTR.net
“Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on Earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become.” – Anon
LoneRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #44
jcbikes1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Is their much left of the rock slide (that closed the road last year) coming down Saxon Mt.?
jcbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #45
blackjackdavey
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbikes1 View Post
Is their much left of the rock slide (that closed the road last year) coming down Saxon Mt.?
i think this is it, a hump of rocks couple feet high but lifted jeep cleared it, as well as rest of us:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJones View Post
(that 990 is rock tested tough)
check out the size of that rock, which is also airborne! after impact

more random frame grabs are here:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjHU8CwX